iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cheapskate hardwood flooring

Started by hackberry jake, July 19, 2019, 11:18:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

A few years back I bought something like 5 or 6 thousand board feet of 4/4 hickory lumber straight from the mill. I dried it and sold most of it, but still had about 2k bdft left. I've been remodeling our house and decided some hickory flooring would suit it fine. I planned it, jointed it, ripped it, tongue it, grooved it, end trimmed it, and laid it. Now I'm in the process of finishing it. We are living in this house so, I have to finish one room at a time and use exhaust fans to keep the smell out of the rest of the house. 
 I bought a 11 amp 4x24 Makita belt sander and put 40 grit belts on it and did a test area of a few square feet. It worked fine, but was hard on my hands and knees. So I improvised. I also have a plywood jig made up that has three 5" orbital sanders in it for the final smoothing. Poor folk got poor ways. Prolly gunna have a under $2 a sq foot in this floor unless you count my labor.

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

square1

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

69bronco

That floor is gonna make you smile for a lot of years to come! Beautiful!

Bruno of NH

Great work
Your a clever fella
Floor laying and finishing is hard work.
Always done my own even when building homes for others. 
A bad sanding and finishing job can waste a nice floor.
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Larry

What a beautiful floor!!!!!

Excellent job.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Downstream

great job and floor looks excellent.  I can't get enough of people's ideas for jigs and holders for hand power tools to convert them to better functionality.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

WDH

First the cabinets, then the countertops, and now the floor.  Very beautiful and very impressive ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

hackberry jake

I haven't been able to work on the remodel much lately. Working too many hrs at work. I finally got some days off so I'm back at it. The sander kept clogging up with a 36 grit belt so I went down to a 50 grit. That was taking too long so I attached a small shop vac and now it'll work with 36 grit again. I also duck taped a small 4lb weight to the front to balance out the weight of the shop vac. I'll also post a pic of the "finish" sander. Using 80grit on the 3 orbitals.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

btulloh

Quite a rig you've got there for sanding.  

Good looking floor!

(Correction: rigs)
HM126

WDH

Quote from: btulloh on October 31, 2019, 12:47:25 PM(Correction: rigs)
Correction:  Cobbled rigs :D.
Good Ole Southern ingenuity.  

Ljohnsaw

Pretty amazing with amazing results! 8)

Well, now I don't feel too foolish for my thoughts!  I picked up a power trowel (for concrete finishing) with plans to make it a sander (have a bunch of big sanding disks) for my cabin.  No A/C power so why not try gas powered? (all the windows will be open...)  The gas tank was rusted out so no idea if this thing will even run.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

petefrom bearswamp

Are you sure you are not Red Green in disguise?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Ed_K

Great looking floor with the different species. I did the same with diff species plus diff widths  thumbs-up.
Ed K

Stephen1

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

sawguy21

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on November 01, 2019, 08:05:51 AM
Are you sure you are not Red Green in disguise?
Or at least related! :D That orbital gang sander is something else. That is a very nice floor, once finished it will be a real asset.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

hackberry jake

ManjiSann

Those "jigs" are absolutely brilliant!  Goes to show what a bit of ingenuity can do!

How did you attach the 3 orbital sanders in your little set up?

Very nice job, again, mad respect for ingenuity!

Brandon 
Poulan Pro 5020AV, Husky 390XP

tule peak timber

WOW,,, Terrific job ! What did you use for the finish?
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Magicman

Wow, that really is a cat's meow!!  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!