iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building scaffolding - recommendations?

Started by Ljohnsaw, November 05, 2013, 12:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

In preparation in building my cabin, I'm looking to round up some scaffolding.  I'm doing ICF (Fastwall) that will need concrete filling and the walls will be 12' high.  I couldn't find the thread that mentioned it, but was wondering how tall my stage should be.  My thinking was the top of the wall should be no more than 4' above the stage, so my planks should be at about 8', right?

I lucked out and picked up a big pile of C channel in three sizes, all 1/8" - 1-1/4" x 3-7/8"; 1-1/2" x 4-5/16"; and 1-3/4" x 4-9/16".  They nest inside each other (width wise), so I can lap/weld them if need be.  For the wall pour, I'm thinking that the scaffold should be placed on the interior so dragging the pumper hose would be easier.  Unfortunately, cannot get a crane pumper to my location - it would get stuck.  But with enough mussel, this should work.

See my attached skp file.  The "I" would be welded - large C for vertical, middle size for the foot and the lighter for the top.  Bottom is 4' wide, top is 3' wide.  Spacing is 12' with 1" conduit (or wood, since it's "free") for braces.  I will use my 2x12s floor joists set vertical to make a box beam between uprights with 2x12 planking on top  I have the height at 8' but with the box beams, I could drop to 7' if you all think the 4' height for pumping will work.  Is 3' width sufficient for a work surface on the scaffolding?

Thanks in advance for your comments.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

witterbound

When I poured my icf walls, I was able to rent from the folks that sold me the icfs the bracing needed to support the walls during the pour.  That bracing had places for walking planks.

Ljohnsaw

My ICFs are actually 85% wood fiber (De-minerialized with acid that takes the sugars out) and 15% portland cement.  They don't need to be braced (though I will do some) and they came out of Oregon (about 400 miles from me) so no renting from them, I suspect  :(

How big (wide) was your planking?  Was it big enough or did you want something wider?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Roger Nair

I do not like the idea of the I form as a scaffold buck, for two reasons.  Loads will constantly be shifting from side to side and end to end, so you will never really have centered static loads, it seems to me that the welds in the I forms will be constantly be twisted and levered.  Secondly as a large form with only one line of bracing, I would not trust the structure to hold up.

My suggestion is to either rent scaffold with standard bucks, braces and levelers or if you must, weld two legged bucks and mimic the standard form.
An optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds, the pessimist fears that the optimist is correct.--James Branch Cabell

witterbound

The planking was just 2x12s.  The Mexican crew that poured it could have probably gotten by with 2x4's! 

Thank You Sponsors!