iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Replacing Clutch in Log Truck

Started by mills, September 12, 2016, 12:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mills

The clutch plates in my old C-70 started going out Saturday morning. I have the transmission out, and picking up the parts this afternoon. Question is how is the best way to re-install the transmission, clutch mounted to the fly-wheel, or have the clutch hanging off the transmission? Every time I've ever done it was to mount the clutch to the flywheel and hope you have everything lined up. Now I'm hearing that it's better to run the clutch and transmission in together. This transmission has a 6" x 4" inspection plate at the top of the bell housing making it easy to get to the clutch bolts from top and bottom.

How do yall do it?

starmac

If it is a dual clutch setup, it is actually easier to stab the tranny then bolt up the clutch.  You can do it either way, but if you install the clutch first, do NOT knock the little wood spacers out of the throwout bearing until you have the transmission stabbed.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

dustyhat

Bolt your clutch and pressure plate up first, make sure you get the plastic alignment tool . slide it in through the pressure plate and clutch and slide the end in the crank bearing it will line it all up and then you can bolt it up. ill get back with how i then put the trans back up.

starmac

Don't forget to change the pilot bearing while you are in there.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

mills

Back on the road again.  8)
It was definately easier to hang the clutch off the transmission. We were less than thirty minutes getting the transmission in and the clutch bolted up. Old dog still learning new tricks. I did cost me two old t-shirts, and probably two pairs of pants. My truck doesn't get run in the rain very often, so all of the mud that was thrown up under it since last falls bath was still there.

Thanks for the help.

Thank You Sponsors!