iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hiring a logger?

Started by Brad_bb, October 10, 2019, 07:15:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

How do you do this?  How do you find one?  How do you find a reputable one for a job less than 30MBF?  The first logs I ever bought (Walnut mostly) I was taken advantage of by a logger.  Turns out I way overpaid. So I'm wary.  

I have access to a wood lot that I can selectively take what I want.  Straight high grade logs up to 40 feet before a crotch/branch.  I am not selling the wood.  I want to get it down and transported about 3/4 of a mile to my yard.  Do they have a set hourly or daily rate?  How does it work? I'm sure it partially depends on the equipment needed/used, but I need some kind of idea how it works.
Thanks.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

thecfarm

In this area just to haul logs is by the 1000.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Brad_bb

For clarity, the logger will cut the trees down, buck, and load the logs.  I understand that he may hire someone to haul the logs.

Southside

In a way you are asking a logger to work as a tree service. Part of the equation would depend on how selective the cut is and how difficult it will be to get those trees down and out. 

What will be done with tops, other damaged trees, pulp stuff? Push it into a pile? What about a landing? Where can logs be loaded? 

I think it will be hard to find someone to do this, you might be looking at paying for the actual logging plus move in costs. 

Now if you could find a tree man to just lay them down and you bucked and skidded them out then you could probably just pay a day rate and hire a truck at a flat fee. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Southside on October 10, 2019, 09:18:16 AM
In a way you are asking a logger to work as a tree service.
I get on jobs where the landowner will buy back firewood, maybe a few good logs, this doesn't happen. 😂 

Quote from: Brad_bb on October 10, 2019, 07:15:44 AM
How do you do this?  How do you find one?  How do you find a reputable one for a job less than 30MBF?  The first logs I ever bought (Walnut mostly) I was taken advantage of by a logger.  Turns out I way overpaid. So I'm wary.  

I have access to a wood lot that I can selectively take what I want.  Straight high grade logs up to 40 feet before a crotch/branch.  I am not selling the wood.  
Depends what it is, how hard it is to get. Probably cut, skid, slash and trucked your 4-600 per mdft minimum if you want a decent job. No one I know of is going to go cut banging wood to leave it unless they are basically making the normal 40-60%, it's no diff than any other job just your the mill. 

moodnacreek

To cut walnut trees for sawlogs? This is not pine. Every tree man, hobby sawmill owner That I HAVE SEEN will destroy the butts , the most valuable wood in the tree. These trees must be felled by a logger who the ability to do veneer quality work. You better ask around.

craigc

This time of year everybody is busy cutting their jobs that are heavy to veneer and grade. Hiring a good logger this time of year will be almost impossible. Plus this is Illinois, contract logging is dangerous from a liability perspective. 
Rottne SMV, Timbco with Logmax 9000, JD 540B Grapple.

SW Oh Logger

Quote from: Brad_bb on October 10, 2019, 07:15:44 AM
How do you do this?  How do you find one?  How do you find a reputable one for a job less than 30MBF?  The first logs I ever bought (Walnut mostly) I was taken advantage of by a logger.  Turns out I way overpaid. So I'm wary.  

I have access to a wood lot that I can selectively take what I want.  Straight high grade logs up to 40 feet before a crotch/branch.  I am not selling the wood.  I want to get it down and transported about 3/4 of a mile to my yard.  Do they have a set hourly or daily rate?  How does it work? I'm sure it partially depends on the equipment needed/used, but I need some kind of idea how it works.
Thanks.
Brad:  Go to area sawmills, ask for references for any smaller loggers, do the same with your DNR or State Foresters-- don't expect any one name from the State people, just a general idea of who they know about. Also, the guys on here are just trying to help--more info from you about species, the lay of the land, and also are you in Illinois or Indy as you show on your heading?  Not every logger is a crook by any means!! As Southside said, there may be several ways to piece together the job, you just need to ask around--who knows there may be someone on here who would take it on!
Snellerized 390xp,stock 395

mike_belben

It may jeopardize your relationship with the landowner pretty severely if you find someone to come in, high grade a walnut stand and leave it a mess.. Then someone who knows timber tells the landowner you robbed em. 

Can you saw these trees before they spoil if logged all at once?   If not.. Either do it yourself a few trees at a time as you can saw them [taking care to do a nice job and a TSI as well for future regeneration on the site] or go to a mill or concentration yard and buy logs already hauled in.  There will be a flood of wood all thru winter once freezup comes. 
Praise The Lord

Brad_bb

Thanks all.  There is a time crunch as this lot will be condemned for a road next spring.  Owner just wants any trees that can be used to be used. I don't think I'll be able to get a real logger to clear cut it based on the conversations here on the forum.  I may try to select cut some wood and skid it out with a skid steer.  As I said time is a factor as well as how ground conditions will be when I can do this.  Lot is small enough that I don't think select cutting or even clear cutting would change what the landowner will get paid for the land.  

Southside

Usually if timbered land is being taken via eminent domain the land owner has the right to harvest the timber first and receive triple the value, or three growth cycles, worth of future mature timber on the land.  So if he has good walnut there it may be worth it for him to hire a forester to certify the value of what is there and use that to negotiate payment.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Welp, get after it then.  Sounds like theres no way you can do wrong there.  If bucked to length a skidsteer can do okay on flatter dry ground.  

Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!