iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where To Find?????

Started by dail_h, June 29, 2005, 09:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dail_h

We have some pretty good logs piled up for me to cut ties out of,seems a shame to grind everything else for mulch,but WE don't have any other market. How would one go about finding a broker to help in moving this lumber? I don't know lumber grading,or much about marketing. I guess what we need is a broker -dealer who could handel less than trailer loads of random width, random length, mixed species who would be honest and reliable. Recon such a creature exists,and how one would find him /her?
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

beenthere

Seems (to me) that you would need to could do a minimum amount of preparation of boards you would want to sell.
My idea would be to
1)  sort by species
2) sort out boards
     a) with no more than one defect
     b) uniform in thickness and random width (but at least 6" wide)
     c) length mostly 10' or 8 - 12' range.
3) sticker soon after sawing and keep pile covered

The market for such material should be there, and will be more in your pocket than mulch. FInding a user (school, college, small furniture or cabinet-making operation, carpenter, woodworker) would be best, but a broker might also be more likely with a stack of this type of lumber.

Once established, likely more defect can be included, as well as narrower widths, but sorted separately.
(One defect per 6" board usually doesn't make a high grade FAS (first and second) but it will be on the high end). 

Just some thoughts, as I don't do this in 'real' time.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

J_T

I found a market for full 2"x8"  also pallet mills buy 4/5 Otherwise I stack it an someone comes along sooner or later ??? Have even sold tomato stakes of the side lumber ???
Jim Holloway

Fla._Deadheader

Farmers with animals. Sheds, corrals, hog pens, fences, Barns, etc., etc.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

karl

Markets for small quantities of anything from stakes and stickers, to 1x3 strapping, 1x boards, dimension, bolsters, blocking, campfire slabwood, and any number of other things is out there, the hard part is getting your product known and being able to make a profit on it.

Ask the locals what they need;

My sawdust is traded to a farmer for softwood logs.
Shavings go to him or to a neighbor in exchange for eggs/ pork.
Grade stakes and firewood by the pallet sell at a couple feedstores and rental places.
Stakes by the bundle for local excavators as needed.(I keep stock ahead)
A few local small construction businesses buy downfall pine for siding/sheathing, framing, jacking blocking( 4x6/6x6x4')
A landscaper brings logs he clears from lots to saw for him or trade for renting my excavator or whatever
Slabwwod campwood by the truckload to a campground. (Thinking of a selfserve bin by the road to "the Pond")
Thinking about a bedding chipper for the stuff I don't burn in the outdoor boiler- local farms are always looking

Good Luck
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

sawhead

You might try forest service in your area and see if they can provide you with a list of pallet makers ,flooring plants and grade facility's in your area. Most can , then start calling and checking with them if they will take less than truckload amounts.
The journey of a thousand miles begins
with a broken fan belt and a leaky tire

mometal77

Forest service very good idea.
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Thank You Sponsors!