iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newbie-What Did I Do?

Started by ejb17, October 27, 2018, 07:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ejb17

Just signed up after a couple of months of reading as much as possible so that I could learn as much as possible.
I know nothing about sawing but I watched a neighbor a while back when I was giving him poplar for his maple shack boiler. I think that's when the bug hit.
Well this year our ash population went south and in a hurry, and I have more poplar than I know what to do with. So I went on a mission a few months ago to find a mill. Well I looked for used and I looked at new and I read until my eyes went bad.
I kept my budget  at a certain level for the longest time but one of my wants was to have it mobile so it could go to other places and be put away in the barn during the winters. So a trailer type mill was a must or one that could be bought with the trailer option. I don't have any loyalty to a brand or color.
Then I find out that the poplar I was just trying to get rid of was not used for burning in the maple shack but cut and sold as lumber. That did it. The hunt had to be completed.
So I got quotes on new Norwood MN26 with the trailer, a Frontier OS27 with trailer, and the LT15GO. All while watching various interweb sites and CL for mills within 3 or 4 hours from me. By the time I outfitted the new mills with what I needed, or thought I needed, I was way over my original budget, but had warranty and some other small benefits. All the above mills were comparable in price and capability but I didn't pull the trigger on any for some reason. Yes the Frontier is made overseas so it was 3rd on the list for that reason.
Well I happened onto a 2005 WM LT40 Std on CL about 200 miles away with 275 hours. Thinking I would just call on it and that would be that. Well It was just above the price of new with a lot more capability so after a call to WM and many talks with the owner I pulled the trigger and bought it, slightly under the lowest WM Orange book price.
So hopefully tomorrow I run down and pick it up.
Wow, I have a lot to learn.
The mill comes with some new blades,some used blades, and has the debarker and the log deck package.No hydraulics but I already have tractors and track(skid steers) for loading.

USA - Believe in it, or Be Leaving it!
2005 LT40G28

Gary Davis

tacks Y

Welcome aboard. What part of W NY? I am in Warren Pa.

ejb17

I am just south of Hamburg towards Springville. I have been to Warren more time than I can count. Pulled many a load out of URC.
2005 LT40G28

Aclayttu

I love the hydraulic log lifting on my LT40! Not having to hop onto the tractor to load every log is very nice and I'm able to easily pop logs onto the lifting arms with a cant hook. If you can, I'd try and get one on your rig. 

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, ejb17!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

terrifictimbersllc

Congratulations!  Make sure you check the tires for inflation and defects,  and have a spare tire with you.  
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

thecfarm

ejb17,welcome to the forum. You will like it here.
What's the plan for the lumber?
You will need a cant dog or a peavey. I prefer the pevey. The website shows the difference. Not doing high end,high grade lumber with my mill.Logrite is a sponsor on the left. Nice people,made in USA.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

samandothers

Welcome!  Sounds like you've jumped in.  Agree you will need a peavy or cant hook to roll your logs once on the mill. 

Look forward to your adventures.

maple flats

Nice choice. You will never look at a log the same way you used to. Congratulations.
I have sawed poplar into lots of sizes, most were at customer's site and their logs, sawed to their specs.
I no longer do sawing except at my site and most is just for my use these days. I only cut for others when they bring the logs to my location.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

GAB

Quote from: maple flats on October 28, 2018, 11:20:42 AM
Nice choice. You will never look at a log the same way you used to. Congratulations.
I have sawed poplar into lots of sizes, most were at customer's site and their logs, sawed to their specs.
I no longer do sawing except at my site and most is just for my use these days. I only cut for others when they bring the logs to my location.
As far as I'm concerned your statement - "You will never look at a log the same way you used to." needs to be revised to You will never look at a tree or log the same way you used to.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Brad_bb

Manual mill for hobby or your own use is one thing, but if you're trying to make money, and you do any significant amount of work with it, you'll find that you'll want hydraulics and it will make you a lot faster and more efficient.  I own an LT15GO and I wish they offered hydraulics (turning, clamping and toe board) as an option on it. Far more important than than loading, is hydraulic log turning, toe board and clamping.  That is what will make you faster and more efficient. 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

ejb17

I have a ton of my own work to do. Will I cut for others, probably, but not for a living. I would like it to help pay for itself or pay for its entirety  by doing other work and then go from there. I will also have a ton of ash to sell as our ash are pretty much on the way out. So hopefully its not a total burden on my wallet and I can finish a bunch of stuff around our place.
In no way will I undercut other guys around here, but they are few and far between so I will establish my costs and get good at it before I start charging.
I cut a few poplar logs today as soon as I got it home. FUN!
I have been undercut on my stump grinding for years and only take on jobs that have some profit. I don't need any more practice.
It was interesting to see each board today as I cut it. They all had their own look/character.
Going to do a complete service and change all  the belts. Everything is 13 years old and original.
2005 LT40G28

killamplanes

All I can say is "enjoy". Every step and every time you lift something think can I do something different or make something that can make this easier. Then make it or buy it.  I wish I would of took my own advice earlier in life..
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

alanh

Quote from: Brad_bb on October 28, 2018, 12:03:35 PM
Manual mill for hobby or your own use is one thing, but if you're trying to make money, and you do any significant amount of work with it, you'll find that you'll want hydraulics and it will make you a lot faster and more efficient.  I own an LT15GO and I wish they offered hydraulics (turning, clamping and toe board) as an option on it. Far more important than than loading, is hydraulic log turning, toe board and clamping.  That is what will make you faster and more efficient.

alanh

Quote from: Brad_bb on October 28, 2018, 12:03:35 PM
Manual mill for hobby or your own use is one thing, but if you're trying to make money, and you do any significant amount of work with it, you'll find that you'll want hydraulics and it will make you a lot faster and more efficient.  I own an LT15GO and I wish they offered hydraulics (turning, clamping and toe board) as an option on it. Far more important than than loading, is hydraulic log turning, toe board and clamping.  That is what will make you faster and more efficient.
Very true, I just added the hydraulics and built the turner/clamp on my 15, not sure how I managed without it..you don`t realize how much time is lost turning and clamping by hand. The set up is closer to the head so I load the small end of the log towards the head so I can pick it up and hold it level for the first cut. Loading arms are next.

Thank You Sponsors!