iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Daily Firewood Picture Thread

Started by mike_belben, May 09, 2021, 11:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodroe

Carry all.  3/4 cord front and back combined. Like it. No more fishing wood out of the truck bed.
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

SwampDonkey

I use an old garden hoe here to pull wood to the tail gate of the truck. My truck has a cap. And the wood is 3 miles from home where I cut. Works good for me.

I'm going to stack whatever wood I can this weekend into the house, with a pile left over for the shop. Hopefully at least 3 ranks will go in the house, 4 ranks would give me over 3 cord in there. I've still got another 6 cord under the porch, 2-1/2 cord dry.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

The house wood is all in since the weekend, 8-1/2 cords. I have 2 cord for the shop left over.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

B.C.C. Lapp

Plenty of firewood poles stacked up in the wood yard.   I had a cord split by noon today.   I texted Mrs. Lapp to see if she would come out and stack some. Nope, she's busy.  Dang it. smiley_thumbsdown
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

barbender

That is nice pole wood, my processor would love that stuff!
Too many irons in the fire

B.C.C. Lapp

cutterboy

BCC, nice looking firewood stems. Did you harvest those poles or did you buy some truck loads. Anyway, they will make some nice firewood.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

B.C.C. Lapp

Cutter, a lot of both. i bought some of that stuff from a buddy that has gone totally mechanized logging and some are coming off a job I'm cutting near Meadville Pa.  I don't buy poles from guys I don't know and trust cause i get muddy wood, to may short poles and over all its hard to make much off bad loads. I like mainly supplying myself and its not hard.  My goal for this year is to sell 110 full cords but I doubt Ill hit that.  

GRANITEstateMP

Sunday me and my son worked up some 22's to be added to our woodshed

We got a bit done, then the heat and a regular delivery put a stop to any more production

Now just a matter of getting it into the shed
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

21incher

Started splitting today. EAB killed ash goes quickly.20240529_181705.jpg
20240529_181652.jpg20240529_181731.jpg

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Corley5

Dueling log trains this morning  :thumbsup: ffcool

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SwampDonkey

Nice!

It's also nice this time of year with all the fresh new leaves of the year.  ffsmiley

Magicman

IMG_5856.JPG
My slab pile which will become firewood is growing but yesterday's rain has stopped everything until next week.  I hopefully have 3 more logs to skid out and saw.

The tops from the two trees are still laying and will have to be bucked and stacked.  There will some splitting plus all of the slabs will have to be split. 

All of the cleanup will have to be done before I start on building the porch railing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Hilltop366

Got my wood done for next heating season....well probably most of the one after that too.

Note: to get an idea of the size of wood blocks the splitting wedge is 12" tall.

Magicman

I am continuing to clean up the mess where my two "tree removal" trees fell:

IMG_5882.JPG
And the word "mess" is descriptive.  There are 3 logs in there and some firewood.  I used the word "logs" loosely.  Red Oak on the left and Post Oak hidden on the right.

IMG_5884.JPG
Not much log here.  Crooked plus end split.  This is the last Red Oak and the Post Oak being trimmed in the background.

IMG_5885~0.JPG
It's easier for me to use my ledger stick and mark before bucking.

IMG_5883.JPG
Bringing it out one bucket at the time.  I am loving that MS261 more each time I use it. 

IMG_5887.JPG
Some to split and all to wheelbarrow into the woodshed.  Red Oak is my favorite and Post Oak has to be my least favorite.  I dislike any White Oak for firewood plus Post Oak has messy loose bark.

IMG_5886~0.JPG
I will get one good and one poor log from the remaining Post Oak and then there will be more firewood from the tops of both trees.

I quit at noon.  Did not finish.....but I quit for the day.  Tomorrow will be tomorrow.  :wacky:
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

g_man

Nice video HillTop.  I really like the design of that lift table !!

gg

Magicman

My morning was more of yesterday except that the heavy rain last night prevented any skidding.  I was a bit tuckered so I did not even fill the bucket.

IMG_5891.JPG
Plenty of rounds to carry out plus plenty more behind me.

IMG_5890.JPG
This is a mystery except it isn't.  Limbs holding a log off of the ground can quickly bind a saw chain.  It did, I did, and nipped the wedge with the second saw.  :uhoh:

IMG_5893.JPG
And then She did, I did, and that's all that I have to say about that.  food6

SwampDonkey

Nice treat. :thumbsup:  No need of working like a horse, one block at a time.  A couple of cords is easier to spread out on a leisurely pace than 8 cords. ffsmiley

RetiredTech

Quote from: Magicman on June 03, 2024, 02:35:03 PMuse my ledger stick and mark before bucking.
A Ledger Stick! Why didn't I think of that. I made a magnetic measurer from one of those super magnets and a piece of 1/2" cpvc that I stick to the saw bar and go down marking the bigger limbs. It's awkward and easy to knock a loose. I've also tried using a tape measure and a hand ax but that doesn't always work out well either. I'm going to try the ledger stick next very soon. I'm still in cleanup mode down here too. I have enough wood already split and stacked for all three houses, but there's still firewood on the ground to split and at least two more trees on the ground plus a couple 20 foot oak and hackberry stumps I need to cut down and a huge fork off another oak hung up that needs to be removed. It's slowly but surely getting done. Very Slowly. ffcheesy
Philippians 4:8

Branson 4520R, EA Wicked Root Grapple, Dirt Dog Pallet Forks
Echo cs-450 & cs-620p , Husqvarna 136, Poulan Pro, and Black Max Chainsaws
Partially built bandsaw mill

Magicman

I make marks every 17" which gives me some wiggle room when I need to fudge one way or the other to get relatively equal length sticks.

IMG_5898~0.JPG
I am thinking that I will need to split down to 2-3" to help this Post Oak to dry.  That plus knock as much bark, moss, & ferns off as possible.  I really dislike Post Oak for firewood, but this was a take down tree in my back yard.  Post Oak is in the White Oak family and burns hot, but messy yeah!!

GRANITEstateMP

Magicman, those rounds have enough stuff growing on them, you sure you didn't steal  couple of OG Tom's mushroom logs?
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Magicman

As I have said, Post Oak is my least favorite Oak for firewood.  The soft loose park allows roots from vines and ferns to readily attach and grow creating a mess to deal with.  It is also the most rot proof White Oak so drying it is a struggle which is why I will split even the smaller sticks. 

The only reason that I am dealing with it is because it is in my back yard. 

NE Woodburner

Quote from: RetiredTech on June 05, 2024, 06:44:21 AMA Ledger Stick! Why didn't I think of that.
I used to use a premeasured stick and mark with lumber crayon. For several years now I have been using a Mingo paint marker and find it much quicker and more convenient. The only issue is the wheel slipping on real smooth bark logs like white birch, but I cut mostly oak and maple so it's not much of an issue for me. 

Magicman

This is what I have used for several years:

IMG_5919.JPG
Inverted tip marking paint that is made for marking underground utilities.  My primary use is marking log cut lengths and cut lists on log ends at the sawmill.

The tip is non-clogging.

Hilltop366

I don't bother marking for cut length much, I will measure a length on my saw and when starting out I will use the saw for a guide for a few blocks then just eye them up and cut, after a while you get pretty good at it.

I'm looking for a 20" block for the boiler so from the tip of the bar to the front handle works out good for that, turn a bit sideways to the log and eye up the handle with the end of the log and give the throttle a blip while touching the tip of the bar and I have a mark, move the handle down to the mark and blip again. Once I mark two or three time I can just eye them up pretty good. The thing I watch out for is that different log sizes, with a big log I will tend to make the blocks shorter and smaller logs tend to be longer if I don't pay attention so I will use the saw to mark a few to get started.

Thank You Sponsors!