iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

slabs that split badly overnight

Started by bkaimwood, May 08, 2015, 07:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Let's don't kill da Goat, even if it did grow sheep horns.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bkaimwood

Thanks a million for the link to your sawing cherry logs with pith cracks, Magicman....very simple but effective.
Made perfect sense...these walnut logs are the first experience I've had with pith cracks. I slabbed a couple logs yesterday, one was a 20" black walnut with pith cracks...it had a plus sign in the pith, but one clearly the bad one that would run...I cut parallel to the crack, and once I got to the 2 slabs the pith defect was in, watched the small end crack run 4 foot down the slab AS I CUT IT!!! As I fed the blade through, the crack progressed at an equal rate, one I got 1/3 of the way down...you could hear it cracking over the saw, and you can't hear anything over my saw!!! Wish I would have had video of it. I have a pile of logs 40 feet wide, 8 or 10 feet high to saw, and can see that this issue will be in a significant quantity of them. Thanks for helping to minimize my losses...if you get bored, bring your mill down...I can't see ever catching up!!!
bk

petefrom bearswamp

Welcome to the forum.
I agree that your complete profile woud be helpful
regarding moisture content WDH is absolutely correct.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

beenthere

bkaimwood
Quite unusual for walnut. More info, with at least pics, to see what you are faced with.

As well, update the profile.

Too many mystery's being presented to have a good understanding of your dilemma.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!