iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Work boot

Started by bodagocreek2, November 22, 2018, 04:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plankton

I wear chippewas uninsulated ankle high steel toe in the summer and insulated 8" steel toe in winter. Quality boots if you get the American made ones I get about 2 seasons of construction and roofing out of them. my winter boots are on there 6th season and keep going somehow.
Ussually wearing my wesco corks when I'm logging if you feel like spending the extra money wescos are really nice boots.

curdog

I've got a pair of wescos that I bought in 06, and have one rebuild on them.  I like them , but I like my Nick's foresters better. I've had them since 08and rebuilt them once. They've held up through many days of stomping through cutovers and I've fought fire in them from coast to coast... they're pricey but they have held up to everyday wear in the woods...

Pulphook

Check out Sierra Trading Post for workboots, Carhartt, gloves, outdoor gear at big discounts.
Two wood stoves ( Jotul Rangely ,Jotul Oslo ) heating 99 44/100%
24/7. No central heat. 6-8 cords firewood from the woodlot /year. Low low tech: ATV with trailer, 3 saws, 2 electric splitters, a worn pulphook, peavy, climbing line for skidding, Fiskars 27, an old back getting older.

mike_belben

X2 on STP.  Theyre the biggest supplier of carhartt 2nds and are cheaper than anyone.  Years ago i bought a bunch and most times could find the issue.  Stuff is going on 5 or 6 years worn every week.
Praise The Lord

JB Griffin

Dave, you might be closer than most to the size feet a guy from here had. Google Buster Scott.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

IMERC

Quote from: bodagocreek2 on November 22, 2018, 05:50:36 PM
Just a 8 inch high all around work boot.

Chippewa loggers...
USA made.
comfortable, warm or cool, dry, wear extremely well for a very long time...

Chippewa Logger Boots
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

hopm

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on November 25, 2018, 07:47:53 AM

I would really like to get a pair of Danner smoke jumper boots ($300.), but can't afford them for the time I get in the woods. All my younger associates that make their living around logging, mills, and heavy equipment swear by them. Danner also has a lot of nice boots in the $100.-200. range. Danner offers a rebuild service on their better boots too. Someday maybe.
It's a tough search, good luck.
Tom

Check the Danner sale/clearance link regularly and check ebay. The last 5 pair of Danners my son in law and myself have bought have been less than $100. My favorite prize is a pair of like new Quarries i got on EBAY for $33. These are still my Sunday church going shoes. ;D ;D ;D I like knowing I'm a pair ahead in case something happens to the ones I'm working in.

Dave Shepard

Quote from: JB Griffin on November 26, 2018, 12:14:34 AM
Dave, you might be closer than most to the size feet a guy from here had. Google Buster Scott.
Yeah, I'm not quite that bad off.   :o
I'm only a size 12, just ridiculously wide. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

sawguy21

I had a blowout while on a forest fire fighting crew in California, desperate I sucked it up and bought a pair of Red Wings. They were the most comfortable and durable boot I have ever worn, I hated to give them up. I too have a wide foot, couple that with a high arch I have a tough time finding suitable foot wear.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

wildtmpckjzg

I've tried Keen Targhee's, which has given me plantar fasciitis in my right foot. I have some other sort of Keen boot and those give me corns. So I ordered a pair of Vasque boots and they don't seem to be making the other 2 issues any better.
I'm looking for a light or medium-weight waterproof work boot with good arch support, good heel cushioning and support, and a roomy toe box. Any suggestions?

Walnut Beast

Top notch boot that fits like a glove and is very durable. The only boot I like to wear. 

https://meindlusa.com/collections/meindl-footwear

Marty

I had been searching for a comfortable workboot due to my feet pain. I ordered a pair from Brunt and have been very satisfied. They are lightweight, waterproof and very comfortable.

https://bruntworkwear.com/

newoodguy78

@Walnut Beast what model of those boots do you  wear? I prefer a hiking type boot vs a full leather work boot curious if you have any experience with them. I'm always on the lookout for quality footwear that's comfortable and will last. Tend to go through 2-3 pair a year no matter what I buy and I don't get cheap footwear. Wouldn't mind finding a brand that would last a year, seems to be a tough thing to come across.

Colonel428

So I've got several pair of boots (Red Wing, Thorogood, White's) but I bought a pair of Redback slip on boots a couple of months ago and love them.  They are by far the lightest and most comfortable boots I've had.  They're popular with mechanic/repair shops and are sold out of tool trucks on their routes.  In fact I bought mine from the Matco guy.  They are made in Australia.  I cut and sell firewood and have been doing all my work in them - seems like I have them on every day.  Definitely worth looking in to.

Walnut Beast

Quote from: newoodguy78 on November 19, 2022, 10:45:25 PM
@Walnut Beast what model of those boots do you  wear? I prefer a hiking type boot vs a full leather work boot curious if you have any experience with them. I'm always on the lookout for quality footwear that's comfortable and will last. Tend to go through 2-3 pair a year no matter what I buy and I don't get cheap footwear. Wouldn't mind finding a brand that would last a year, seems to be a tough thing to come across.
They are the Comfort fit. Those are made in Germany. Some of the other models are made in Italy. I understand what your saying and I like those and have had them. The problem with them I had was I would get to much stuff in the shoes from being shorter. So I have the tall but I only lace them half way up wrap them around each way and tie up. I'm very picky and hard on shoes and these are the only ones I like. I've had several pair. I'm due for a new pair. The current pair are 3 1/2 years old and have been bulletproof  through everything and doing everything in them. I will get some pictures of what they look like after serious use. They make one insulated with 400g and one non insulated. I've  got the insulated ones and wear them all year around. The cork footbed liner is one of several unique to Meindl boots. For the money they are a bargain with the comfort and durability!!

JD Guy

I have found this thread very enlightening. My favorite pair of boots all time were Browning upland. Wore them way past what I should have😬. Don't think they're made by the same factory anymore however. Over the last three years I have been using Ariat lace up Ropers..pretty good boots but a might heavy and the rubber(or whatever it is) sole/heel get hard over time and are less than comfortable. I have plantar fasciitis and wear special insoles. Oldest grandson just bought a pair of Thorogood (for hunting and work) and likes them, wanted Redwing but he said that the Thorogood were $100 less than Redwing and still made in USA. Redwing are now upwards of $300 if I remember correctly.

I would like to find some workbook laces that will stay tied😬. The way they make laces today they never hardly wear out but impossible to keep tied tight at least for me.

Magicman

Wolverine has been my go-to work boot for many years.  LINK

I just ordered another pair with my Cabela's CC points. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

customsawyer

I wear Justin lace up roper insulated boots year around. Our cold isn't very bad compared to what some of you "glaciated folks" deal with. I wear a clean pair for going nice places and when the work boot gets wore out the clean pair then gets turned into the work pair and a new pair becomes the "dress" boots. They used to last me about a year due to all the walking beside the long mill. Now that I don't walk that much the pair I have now is over 3 years old but they are getting close. I like them mostly as they are comfortable and waterproof. When they start leaking they go in the trash. Can't stand to work in wet feet.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

barbender

I currently have a pair of Wolverine boots for actual cold weather (like where water gets hard, Customsawyer😂) Gore-tex, safety toe and I think 800 grams of Thinsulate. They've been great boots but they are on their last legs. Unfortunately Wolverine doesn't make this model anymore, so I'm on the hunt.
Too many irons in the fire

Patrick NC

Wore Redwing Pecos 10" pull on for 20 years. Discontinued now so it took a couple years to decide on these Durango rebels. 

Not the best out of the box, but pretty good after a day or two.  My feet run hot, so the biggest problem is finding boots with NO insulation.  Evethe slightest amount of insulation causes my feet to sweat and then they freeze.  No insulation and wool socks are the only way for me. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

230Dforme

Good evening 
Maybe not a work boot, but something to consider 
The guys who pour concrete wear these pull over rubber yellow boots
I've worn them for years as an iron worker as needed in mud and snow
They keep you dry, and they keep you warm
I just wear house shoes, slippers in them, no need to struggle w work boots
Wear them all over town
Sounds funny ?, try it as needed and see for yourself 
They don't cost much

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on November 20, 2022, 02:52:29 PMI just ordered another pair with my Cabela's CC points.  LINK
I ordered, received, and shipped them back.  They hurt the sides of my ankles and I could not wear them.  I was hoping that the composite safety toe would be lighter weight but I'll just continue to wear my old Wolverine boots.  I have two identical pair and alternate them each day.  They will never wear out.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

8-inch soft leather composite toe waterproof and shock proof red wings.  pair 5 over 20 years.  could not get them the past 3 years.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

gspren

Does anyone wear military boots? Due to a somewhat recent change I am allowed to shop the military stores and I drive past Dover, DE Air-force base every month.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

stavebuyer

I have been wearing surplus military "desert" work boots the past 2 summers. They aren't waterproof but the fabric wears better than leather. 

Thank You Sponsors!