iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Steps & self leveling floor epoxy

Started by Sedgehammer, November 22, 2022, 09:14:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sedgehammer

I need to build the steps to get the frame inspection . I also need to do a self leveling epoxy on the floor due to the concreteguys incompetence . Steps will be metal framing with wood steps . I can't do the epoxy until electrical , plumbing & insulation is done 

Need recommendations on how to set the step posts . If i set the 5x5 metal posts on the floor , the epoxy of course will surround the posts . By maybe 1/4" or so . My worry is that eventually the posts will surface rust and that'll be in the epoxy . Should i use some flat stock and weld it to the bottom of the post to lift it some or just prime the post with black primer like I'm going too anyways and don't worry about it
Necessity is the engine of drive

rusticretreater

I would think that constant use and flexing of the staircase would eventually break the epoxy at the base.  A better remedy might be a concrete block anchored to the floor and then the posts anchored to the block and possibly through the block to the floor.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Sedgehammer

I should've mentioned that can't anchor to the floor due to in-floor heat 

SawyerTed

I'm thinking if machinery can be anchored in concrete by bolts set in epoxy, I think stair posts would stay in place without a problem.  

Instead of just primer on the stair posts, a coat of epoxy based paint would help prevent rust. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

fluidpowerpro

I have in floor heat in my pole barn and if I use a heat gun, I can get a fairly accurate location of the tubes. Start with a cold floor and turn the heat on. Once you start shooting with the gun, you will see where the tubes are. A dusting of snow on the floor also works.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

doc henderson

you can moisten unsealed concrete and then turn on the heat and the area above the heat will evaporate first.  How deep is the slab?  if the pex is on the bottom of a 4 inch, the anchors can be more for keeping the post from kicking out even above the pex.  My 1.5-inch slab above the basement of the shop, I have to miss the pex entirely.  I have pics of the install and remember the distance from the wall and spaces between the tubes.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Sedgehammer

I should add this

The 5x5 posts will be bolted to the 3x12  floor joists 10' above with 2 , 3/4" x 9" , so they can't really move much

Doc n fluid . Yeah , could do that , but won't have that heat hooked up to well after the inspection 

The pex is 4" down

On the paint . Everything is flat black primed

Ianab

Can you use some zinc based primer on the metal that's in floor contact first?  Give it an extra layer of protection, as well as the regular paint. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Sedgehammer

Ianab , yes , could do that . Then the flat black over it

I'm thinking of seeing how close my laser is @ measuring the floor depth @ each location and then weld a 3" sq tab to the center of the post that thickness + an 1/8"

Thank You Sponsors!