The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: couple pics... post what your currently cutting  (Read 944609 times)

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
  • In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
    • Share Post
Re: couple pics... post what your currently cutting
« Reply #11920 on: November 23, 2022, 10:37:59 PM »
Back before I switched over from teaching science and social studies to ag in 2000, I moonlighted at a Christmas tree lot.  We would get trucks in, unload and distribute trees to other lots around Florida.  One night while I was working at the juvenile detention center during the day, I got back to the central tree lot after hauling a hundred trees to Clearwater.  This was around 10 p.m.  The boss told me the rental Kenworth box truck was loaded and I just had one more delivery and I could go home.  The load was to go to Jacksonville.  With that truck running on the governor the whole way there, we quickly unloaded the trees and headed back to Lakeland.  When I got home, I recall taking a shower and washing with GoJoe pumice hand cleaner to get some of the sap off and heading the 45 minutes to Bartow to try to stay awake amongst a bunch of felons and head back to the tree lot afterwards.  I think I worked over 40 days straight like that.  Most nights I was home before midnight.

We got 18-24' Douglas Firs from Oregon.  Most of those went into churches or banks.  If I recall, they stacked 50-60 in a refer.  Back in those days, I could carry one of those solo.  We got Noble Firs from somewhere, Scotch Pine from Michigan, Frazer Firs from NC, Balsam Firs from Canada, Blue Spruce from Colorado (giant sandspurs), and probably others that I've forgotten.  Some of the trees would come in in (Tom) trailers packed in snow.  We moved and sold about 50,000 trees that year.  I got paid on Christmas Eve, $500 for the whole 40 something days.  I worked it again for a friend after the other boss died, but I made it clear that I had to be properly compensated and I was.

At the original tree lot, I was on top of a trailer stacking trees to go to another lot when a friend/co-worked yelled to me, "get him, Kyle".  Realize this lot was in a sketchy area of town (hobos, drugs, projects).  I saw a figure come running by and I bailed off of the pile of trees loaded 8' high on the trailer and began the chase.  I assumed he robbed the tree lot.  I chased him about a block and decided if he made it across Hwy. 98 before I could catch him, he could go on his way.  He stumbled in the middle of the road, right in front of me.  Within a short time, there were several cops with guns drawn down on him.  At this time, I was hoping he was over 17 or he'd likely be in my class in a few hours at the JDC.  Turns out that he was over 18, punched an old lady in the face while she sat in her daughter's car at a convenience store and stole her purse.

Since this thread is about cutting, we put a fresh cut on the bottom of all of the trees we sold and trimmed the lower limbs too.

Offline newoodguy78

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11921 on: November 23, 2022, 10:56:57 PM »
I picked up a load of trees in northern Vermont Monday afternoon. All cut and wrapped while I was headed up. Unloaded and displayed them today. Sold 3 in the process. Fortunately there was no foot chases involved. 

Offline Skeans1

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11922 on: November 24, 2022, 12:16:39 AM »
Back before I switched over from teaching science and social studies to ag in 2000, I moonlighted at a Christmas tree lot.  We would get trucks in, unload and distribute trees to other lots around Florida.  One night while I was working at the juvenile detention center during the day, I got back to the central tree lot after hauling a hundred trees to Clearwater.  This was around 10 p.m.  The boss told me the rental Kenworth box truck was loaded and I just had one more delivery and I could go home.  The load was to go to Jacksonville.  With that truck running on the governor the whole way there, we quickly unloaded the trees and headed back to Lakeland.  When I got home, I recall taking a shower and washing with GoJoe pumice hand cleaner to get some of the sap off and heading the 45 minutes to Bartow to try to stay awake amongst a bunch of felons and head back to the tree lot afterwards.  I think I worked over 40 days straight like that.  Most nights I was home before midnight.

We got 18-24' Douglas Firs from Oregon.  Most of those went into churches or banks.  If I recall, they stacked 50-60 in a refer.  Back in those days, I could carry one of those solo.  We got Noble Firs from somewhere, Scotch Pine from Michigan, Frazer Firs from NC, Balsam Firs from Canada, Blue Spruce from Colorado (giant sandspurs), and probably others that I've forgotten.  Some of the trees would come in in (Tom) trailers packed in snow.  We moved and sold about 50,000 trees that year.  I got paid on Christmas Eve, $500 for the whole 40 something days.  I worked it again for a friend after the other boss died, but I made it clear that I had to be properly compensated and I was.

At the original tree lot, I was on top of a trailer stacking trees to go to another lot when a friend/co-worked yelled to me, "get him, Kyle".  Realize this lot was in a sketchy area of town (hobos, drugs, projects).  I saw a figure come running by and I bailed off of the pile of trees loaded 8' high on the trailer and began the chase.  I assumed he robbed the tree lot.  I chased him about a block and decided if he made it across Hwy. 98 before I could catch him, he could go on his way.  He stumbled in the middle of the road, right in front of me.  Within a short time, there were several cops with guns drawn down on him.  At this time, I was hoping he was over 17 or he'd likely be in my class in a few hours at the JDC.  Turns out that he was over 18, punched an old lady in the face while she sat in her daughter's car at a convenience store and stole her purse.

Since this thread is about cutting, we put a fresh cut on the bottom of all of the trees we sold and trimmed the lower limbs too.

We use to do Nobles around that size it use to be our specialty 10 plus sheared number 1s *DanG things where heavy too. Last one we did 10 plus years ago were 14 to 15 ft took 5 guys to lift them and a winch to get them on the bailer deck to get through the cone to wrap them. Tallest we sent out as a sheared tree was 20 and was not a fun project to say the least.

Online SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #11923 on: November 24, 2022, 02:58:46 AM »
Cousins here cut Christmas trees 7 days a week for 6 weeks, rain, snow, sunshine. One to two boxed tractor-trailer trucks a day leaves Mon-Friday. Height looks mostly 6-7 footers, but have seen some 10-12 footers in the staging area. I know one thing, Fraser Fir is lighter than Balsam. Balsam is real heavy. My 7 footer I got this year was a Fraser and real light. I cut a lot of wild balsam that size and they ain't easy to pick up. Lots heavier than spruce. I cut a lot of black spruce for corduroy rails, they are like cedar fence post light - green. :D
No amount of belief makes something a fact. James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #11924 on: November 24, 2022, 08:17:40 AM »
Been a very horrible year here and I am thankful for all those that posted pictures, each and everyone has distracted & cheered me up.  Many thanks on thanksgiving.  
Liking Walnut

Offline Autocar

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11925 on: November 24, 2022, 08:33:03 AM »
It has been years ago but I was cutting timber south of me and there were christmas trees growing in the woods. I asked the land owner if I could buy one of them for our church. I had my pickup with a gooseneck, cut the crazy thing and when it was laying on the ground I realized it was a lot bigger then what I thought. I couldn't move it so I got my wife and we rolled it out of the woods and got it up on the trailer. The base was eight inches in diameter so I took a 900/20 truck tire and welded a six inch well casing in it chopped it down so it would fit. We had two guys pulling and a fellow trying to push to get it though the church doors. Set it up and the top pocked the ceiling tile out, if nothing else what memories it brings back. Probably sucked up a gallion of water every day  ;D

Offline stavebuyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11926 on: November 24, 2022, 10:46:47 AM »
"Its not too big; its full" lol

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #11927 on: November 24, 2022, 01:55:49 PM »
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #11928 on: November 24, 2022, 01:59:56 PM »
Too soon Doc.  :D :D :D ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, but almost.

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11929 on: November 26, 2022, 12:06:28 AM »
 🤦‍♂️ Walked one today, I don't know if the logger who gave him a price needs a drug test or the landowner, #'s wherent even close. I've gotta give it to the beaver he has directional felling down. 

He even practices CTL 🤦‍♂️😆 he had 4-5 trees all cleaned off and in sections. 

I'm honestly happy where I'm working, it's tugboating circa 2002 without the drinking. If you tell them you are capable of doing the job that your licensed for and you can't, watch out. Had a coonass show up running his mouth and didn't make it 48hrs before he was voted off the island, I think I saw actual tears. 😆. The walk of shame is real. 

My relief has 1 more hitch left, 2 other boats coming out they don't have crews for, might as well get comfortable when I go back next week. 

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #11930 on: November 26, 2022, 06:25:12 AM »
Like I told you Barge , your the smart one and its showing

Offline GRANITEstateMP

• LIVE FREE OR DIE
    • Share Post
« Reply #11931 on: November 26, 2022, 07:45:14 AM »
Barge,

Is the engine room all soaped up getting ready to be washed, or did the fire suppression system go off and now you got to clean that up too? ;D
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #11932 on: November 26, 2022, 01:31:45 PM »
Looks like snow. Someone left the open. :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #11933 on: November 26, 2022, 07:27:36 PM »
Getting unloaded by the truck this morning. Sun's low and the windows are scratched  ;D :)  It was hard to see all day. I tried to load and unload with the sun at my back but that didn't always work  :) :D

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11934 on: November 26, 2022, 11:43:11 PM »
Boat was getting washed down for crew change. If the fire suppression system went off there's a 50-50 I wouldn't be posting on here. The boat I work on burned in 1999, they used the system, the volunteer fire dept got ambitious and opened it up again after 3hrs, it flashed and they basically sunk it to put it out. 

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #11935 on: November 27, 2022, 09:52:10 AM »
Getting unloaded by the truck this morning. Sun's low and the windows are scratched  ;D :)  It was hard to see all day. I tried to load and unload with the sun at my back but that didn't always work  :) :D

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

I hate to say it but ours is worse, really an issue this time of year.  I wear sunglasses and use side shades .  
Liking Walnut

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11936 on: November 27, 2022, 09:59:41 AM »
I couldn't run a scratched window machine full time. That might sound fussy but when you are trying to make production 5-6 days a week having your visibility hampered is a big👎👎

I've seen guys buff the small scratches and haze off of polycarbonate windshields with fine buffing compound. 
Too many irons in the fire

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #11937 on: November 27, 2022, 11:22:01 AM »
Yes it sucks.  I should give that a try
Liking Walnut

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11938 on: November 27, 2022, 12:18:25 PM »
Those headlight restorer kits are supposed to be the right grit but you'd go probably go broke buying enough of those to do the job. The 3 on the crane side are the important ones, the other end doesn't bother me if they're scuffed up. If you weren't getting out of that machine soon I'd say it's worth it to get them replaced.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline GRANITEstateMP

• LIVE FREE OR DIE
    • Share Post
« Reply #11939 on: November 27, 2022, 12:41:15 PM »
scratches and poly windows are a buggah! When I worked on a couple of asphalt late models our windows would get beat up throughout the year. 5star racecar bodys sold a 2 or 3 part spray system that you'd rub or buff into the poly windows that worked pretty good. I think the product was Nexus, or something?  I may have to look around and see if I got any left

Edit - Product is Novus, and I found the 3 pack online for $15
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx

Started by Brian w on General Board

4 Replies
Last post October 23, 2022, 04:11:33 PM
by Edwardjohn
xx
first post and a couple of questions

Started by billy_wizz on Timber Framing/Log construction

8 Replies
Last post November 15, 2014, 10:18:25 AM
by Heartwood