iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Band mill Router Plane

Started by Kbeitz, January 25, 2018, 01:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justallan1

Very cool. Are you going to make it hand powered or have motors on it's movements?
What do you figure the RPMs are going to be?
Nice work.

Ljohnsaw

K,
Looking good!  Sounding good, too.

What is the HP on that motor?  For the bit you are planning on spinning, I think you would want at least a 1hp - 2hp would be better. +1 on what speed will you be spinning that?  If that is a 3750 motor and your pulley set up looks like its doubling, you are at the bottom end of what I think you should spin it for a good smooth finish.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Kbeitz

Quote from: justallan1 on February 15, 2018, 09:54:32 PM
Very cool. Are you going to make it hand powered or have motors on it's movements?
What do you figure the RPMs are going to be?
Nice work.

I'm thinking to power one of the movements . The short one.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Quote from: ljohnsaw on February 16, 2018, 12:16:19 AM
K,
Looking good!  Sounding good, too.

What is the HP on that motor?  For the bit you are planning on spinning, I think you would want at least a 1hp - 2hp would be better. +1 on what speed will you be spinning that?  If that is a 3750 motor and your pulley set up looks like its doubling, you are at the bottom end of what I think you should spin it for a good smooth finish.

One Hp 3400 rpm.  I want to use the insert bits later but I'm going to try what
I have first. The pulley on the motor is adjustable for speeds and the one on
the arbor is a step pulley. I will play with them both.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

xlogger

On your first post on the last picture where did you get those rollers at?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Kbeitz

Quote from: xlogger on February 16, 2018, 06:46:51 AM
On your first post on the last picture where did you get those rollers at?

The little rollers on the top of the machine came from the junkyard.
The bottom ones I got from E-bay.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

I really dislike sheet metal work.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Did I say how much I hate sheet metal work... It took me all day to get this
much done but the hard part is finished.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Bruno of NH

X 2 on what Peter said you can make a lot of things  :)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Kbeitz

The chain cover is finally done. 14ga galvanized steel.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

I got my pull along handles mounted on both sides. Next I need to put a handle on the molding head or make it power feed. I'll sleep on it a few days.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ljohnsaw

For a better feedback when working, I'm thinking a simple hand crank with some clothesline rope would be easy and effective.  Just use a large enough capstan (2"?) so you can turn the handle fairly slow.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Kbeitz

Quote from: ljohnsaw on February 17, 2018, 03:07:21 PM
For a better feedback when working, I'm thinking a simple hand crank with some clothesline rope would be easy and effective.  Just use a large enough capstan (2"?) so you can turn the handle fairly slow.

The reason I was thinking of some kind of motorized movement was so that part of the machine would stay where I put it while I'm moving the other part. Right now everything just moves way to easy. I was thinking about two sprockets and a chain and a special master link follower that would move the whole thing back and forth on it's own.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

I slept on it last night and came up with this. Another DC variable speed motor mounted right on the moving head. I will run a strand of roller chain like the saw mills have for the motor to follow on. Easy fix.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

I got the side motor mounted today. Tomorrow will be the chain and sprocket. While in church today dreaming about this project I dreamed up the idea of running a hitch to my mill carriage so the carriage will push it down the track. Hands free operation. With my mill remote I wont have to touch it. Just sit back and watch.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

About all I have left to do it to wire up this motor and paint.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Crusarius

I am very anxious to see this work.

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Kbeitz on February 19, 2018, 06:07:39 PMAbout all I have left to do it to wire up this motor and paint.

And some limit switches on the travel motor?
John Sawicky

justallan1

Quote from: ljohnsaw on February 19, 2018, 10:31:53 PM
Quote from: Kbeitz on February 19, 2018, 06:07:39 PMAbout all I have left to do it to wire up this motor and paint.

And some limit switches on the travel motor?
I was thinking you should use limit switches to have it automatically change directions, of course after a pause and 1" advance. 8)

Kbeitz

limit switches will be added... Maybe later a PLC. I'm worried the PLC wont like it outside.
I already have limit switches on the up and down but not on the side movement yet.
The top speed of the side motor is only 4rpm and I'm putting a controller on it to go even slower. For now I'm just going to use a jog switch.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Something happened to my computer. When typing my post the font size is so small I cant hardly read it but when I post it it come out larger than normal. Is this problem on my side?
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

starmac

I don't know, but your last post was back to normal.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Kbeitz

Quote from: starmac on February 20, 2018, 02:25:42 AM
I don't know, but your last post was back to normal.
I seen that but it was anything but normal when I was typing it. As this one the font is so small...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Crusarius

if you hold ctrl key and roll the scroll wheel on the mouse that will change your font size that you see. 

Thank You Sponsors!