iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Farming accidents

Started by Kevin, March 06, 2005, 09:11:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

I know there's nobody here that does anything foolish on a farm but here's some interesting reading... Bro  ;D

http://www.labour.gov.sk.ca/farmsafety/fatalities.htm

Bro. Noble

Dad rolled a tractor several years ago and just about didn't survive.  It's so easy to get hurt or killed.  Thanks kevin, for the reminder to think safe.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Kevin

There was a time when only farmers had tractors and learned through past generations but it seems today just about everyone and their brother has a tractor and many probably aren't aware of the dangers.

Ernie

Broke a finger a while back using an old armstrong steering tractor while topping a rough paddock and turning while holding one of the steering wheel spokes. The most stupid thing about it was I had just told Alf off for doing the same thing and warned him about hitting a bump with one wheel and the steering wheel spinning out of control and breaking fingers. 

The old do as I say not as I do thing.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

sawdust

I used to go with a girl whose mother was a medical examiner. She said her office was full of people that had expected to go home that day.
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Ernie

Sawdust

Tomorrow we head off for our first contract job, really  small but its a start.

That sure is a spooky thought for an old man who thinks that not only will he come home, he will start a new career milling.

Maybe I should let Alf drive

Ernie
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

rebocardo

There were multiple people there every year killed by installing or shorting the starter and having the tractor run them over.  Same thing with bales falling on them. Must be a message in there somewhere.

I noticed there there are hardly any PTO killings anymore, it must be because of the newer hydraulic and electric winches.

Roxie

Cowboy Bob had the tractor run over him last year.  He's been around tractors his entire life, but he touched two wires and the tractor started and it was in gear.  He was pushed to the ground by the axle and had the presence of mind to stay clear of the hitch.  He was shook up real bad, but thank God only scraped his back up a little.  Now when he approaches a tractor for any reason, he knocks it into neutral.  Lesson learned.   :)
Say when

Norm

Unfortunately there are still a few folks killed or maimed by live PTO's here every year. The one that left the most lasting impression on me was a three year old boy who was killed by one, the farm yard is no place for youngsters when machinery is running. We also have one or two rollover accidents every year, ROP's have slowed the number as the older models have been replaced.

Planting season is just around the corner, this is a good reminder to be careful, thanks Kevin :)

Ernie

5 years ago, a friend of mine, one of the local village characters, fell off the tractor and went part way into his hay baler.  He was in pretty ugly shape but being a tough Taranaki bush man, survived.  He is not too bad now but gets the contractors in to bale his hay.

Ernie

sawguy21

A friend was killed operating a tricycle gear row crop tractor on a sidehill. Wrong machine for the job.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Corley5

Haven't seen the stats the last few years but logging, mining, farming, and fishing were always at the top of the list for the most job related fatalities :(  Lets all be careful
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Bro. Noble

This thread reminds me of a fellow I used to know.  It was back when the 'back to the country' movement had just begun and this guy decided to give country life a go.  He was brushhogging with an 8N Ford.  For those not experienced with this stuff,  clutching most of the older tractors disengages the engine from the transmission,  it doesn't disengage the pto from the transmission.  The result is that something like a brushhog just acts like a big flywheel unless you add an over-running clutch.  Well Robert didn't know any of this stuff,  but soon found out.  He was mowing along and approached a small tree.  Seeing that he didn't have room to go between it and a larger tree he clutches the tractor.  Imagine his surprise when the tractor kept going and climbed the tree :o  Luckily it stopped before it turned over,  but it went far enough to lift one side of the tractor off the ground as the tree bent over.  Robert wasn't discouraged,  but looked at this as a fine opportunity to try his new chainsaw ::)  Unfortunately,  when he cut the tree,  the tractor came down on his leg,  busting it :(
milking and logging and sawing and milking

sawguy21

Robert was a hazard to his own health :D He was lucky, it could have been a lot worse. Those granola chompin tree huggin grit eatin 8N's are dangerous.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

redpowerd

very scary stuff.
before i was born my grandfather and uncle were killed on the farm. dads father opend up a harvester silo and was overcome by the gasses, and fell into the silo. uncle jack went up to save him and met the same fate. awful sad i never got to know them.

in the mid 80's, a highschool kid was unloading corn into a blower, well this kid got bored and would sit on the roof of the wagon, watching the silage unload, dangling his feet into the wagon. best guess is that the load shifted, shaking the wagon and knocking him into it.

on one of our combining job a few years ago, a kid got pinned between a silo and a backing dumptruck. the kid loved riding in the combine, would sit there for the intire day. he was out of it for lunch.

i agree that an active barnyard is no place for kids, but they also need to learn what is safe, and how and why they can be killed. knowledge is pretty good protection against farm tragedys. sometimes its hard to be careful when your pressed for time.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

farmerdoug

The thing that troubles me the most is that farm equipment has only one seat and that means no room for passengers.  Yet I am always seeing kids and adults riding on the fenders or standing on the platforms just waiting for an accident to happen.  These are farmers too but mostly city slickers come country.  It is a hard way to learn a lesson but they will no listen to you anyways.

We lost a local farmer last fall to a road accident.  He was going down the road with his tractor and v-ditcher to a field he rents to ditch it.  A kid came up behind him in a car and rammed the tractor.  The ditcher imbedded in the front of the car, snapped off and the car rode the tractor tires up into the cab of the tractor.  The farmer was hit in the back of the head with the point of the ditcher and never woke up.  He lived 3 days in the hospital before dying.  They say he never saw it coming.  The farmer was a friend of the kids family also.  I fault both the kid and the farmer.  The kid was driving to fast but the farmer believed that he had a right to the road .  He would drive down the road using the full lane or more to and from his fields.  If he would have been riding half on the shoulder like most farmers around here the kids car would have rode up only one tire and been flipped away from the cab and farmer.  Like one farmer I know said"he died dead right on his rights". >:( >:(
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

redpowerd

another thing city slickers like to do is take their SMV signs off their tractors and use them for driveway markers. thats really stupid. those signs are for SLOW MOVING VEHICLES. people may start associating them with driveways instead of SLOW MOVING VEHICLES. it is also against the law, but i still see them everywhere. really burns me.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

tnlogger

A good freind of mine was in a tractor verses a motorcycle wreck three yrs ago.
He was baling hay and going from one field to the other. He had a loader with a bale spear on the front as he was turning left into the other field the motorcycle came from under a small hill right into the bale spear. Now jim is very careful on the road but the boy was going so fast he never saw him. The state police never charged jim and told him there was no way he could have seen the boy coming they estermated he was going over 80 mph on a county road.
To this day jim blames him self. I was one of the first responders at the wreck and and i still dont know how i would react if it was me on the tractor.
gene

Corley5

Quote from: tnlogger on March 14, 2005, 11:16:05 AM
He had a loader with a bale spear on the front as he was turning left into the other field the motorcycle came from under a small hill right into the bale spear.

:o :o  That would be terrible :( :(
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jason_WI

There have been some close calls on our farm too. I remember when I was about 10 or so we were helping the neighbors with baling. The bale elevator was driven off of PTO. No guards on the PTO and too long of a bolt connecting the PTO shaft to the elevator shaft. My grandpa got a little too close to the PTO and it caught his pants leg. Befor he knew what happened he was standing in his underwear with just his belt and pants pockets left on him.  Lucky he was wearing thin pants and not denim jeans.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

rebocardo

Wow, Grandpa certainly was fortunate on that one. I wonder if after that anyone shortened the bolt.

asy

I must say, this is one thing that absolutely TERRIFIES me about moving to the farm...

I guess it's a case of constant vigilism.

Thanks for the reminder guys.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Ernie

Asy

I'd be more worried about your snakes and spiders.  I think L-Plate has enough smarts to try to avoid too many oopses (is there such a word?)

Ernie

Thank You Sponsors!