iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmaster 718

Started by xlogger, January 09, 2013, 06:56:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

I'm looking at the woodmaster 718 for making T&G with my cedar. If anyone here uses one for that I would like to talk to you first. It does not have to be for cedar only. If you could pm me I'd like to give you a call. Ricky
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

oakiemac

woodmasters can't t&G. I know, you can buy some sort of router attachment but why not buy a machine that is made for the job instead of trying to modify a very marginal machine to do something that it is not even made for?
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Handy Andy

A shaper with power feeder would make t&g like crazy.  Of course just one or the other at a time, and you would have to straight edge the boards first, as well as rip to width.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

xlogger

This might be more trouble than its worth. I have been just thinking about getting a machine for each phase I have to go threw instead of one that suppose to do all. Yesterday I was at the place that make Shopbot Tools and a guy there that does lots of woodwork suggested if I was going to do this get a four side machine, but it cost.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

hackberry jake

I have one. I dont have the router attachment, but I have everything else. They are like a dual sport motorcycle. It can do dirt and it can do pavement, but it doesnt do either one as good as either a street bike or a dirt bike. I have been pleased with my machine though. I wouldn't have the room or the money for all four dedicated machines.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

rs1626

I have the 718   and a 4 head moulder there is no comparison between the 2 the mouder probably wieghs 3 or 4 time as much as the 718 i have run some molding on the 718 does a good job but without the router attachment you can only do 1 side at a time

Schramm

I own a 718 and I love mine!  I used it a lot as a planer but now am buying a Powermatic planer so that I have a dedicated planer (not because the Woodmaster cant do it).  I do not have the 3 in 1 attachment but do plan on buying it in March when Woodmaster puts out the newest version of the 3 in 1 as it is supposed to be really easy to use in comparison to the old one.  Woodmasters 718 is powerful enough to do the hardest woods as I just got done molding some heart pine with ease.  They take a little time to get use to and you have to spend sometime running some scrap pieces before running your finish molding but it is very nice to remake historical moldings.
As for making flooring, I have made a few 1000 feet of flooring out of 150 year old oak horse fence in 7' lengths by simply jointing 1 side and 1 edge, planing the other side, cutting it to width on my table saw and then running both the tongue and and then the groove on my router.  I have a Kreg table with a 3.25 hp Titan router (doesnt even bog down) and the bits are Diablo T&G 1/2" Shank bit kit:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/321031750122?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649, they cut like butter and you can run 1000-2000' before sharpening (difference depends on the type or wood).  I like making flooring, I do look forward to March when the 3 in 1 is ready for shipping.

Rob

Steve_M

Schramm

Do you have any info on this new Woodmaster----this is the first I have heard of it.

Steve
2001 WM Super LT40 Electric and WM Twin Blade Edger, just a part timer custom sawing and cutting salvage logs.

Schramm

Steve,

All I know is I was going to order it with my 718 but mark told me to hold off on the old 3 in 1 until march when they release the new one.  You could call Woodmaster, ask for mark and tell him that Rob Schramm was telling you about the new attachment

Handy Andy

I ordered a Grizzly 15" planer during the Christmas sale, it planes faster than the WM, the Griz slow speed is 16 fpm, and it has a fast speed of 30 fpm.  Of course it will not make molding.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

rambo

In Last month my uncle and I  have bought a 712, a 718 and a 725. We are still working on the wood shop convertion to accommodate these honey's. We have the router attachment but not the routers. Hopefully we will get these puppies up and running soon. ::) We are going to set up the 712 to gang rip, the 718 to plane and the 725 will do the moulding.

I'm curious to know how the moulding and casing etc. is for those of you that do it? We are hoping to attract some home builders and some do it yourselfers.

hackberry jake

Having that many machines, you should probably get your own knife grinding set-up. If you have a profile you sell a lot of then pay for good quality carbide knives. I paid somewhere around $600 for the 6.5" log cabin siding knives and ran about 12 sticks before grooves started showing up on the siding from chips. Another big time saver would be to have flat portions of knive surrounding your back relief knives so you don't have to plane everything to the same thickness before you run them through the molder. Does that make sense? Essentially you are planing and cutting the back reliefs in one pass.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

pineywoods

Rambo, one thing you might think about if you haven't already.. Get an extra molding head and mount 2 of them on the 25. Install 2 sets of fences. Then for stuff like crown molding, where both sides have to be shaped, run the stock through to do the back side first, flip the board over and run it through the other head to do the front side. Ups the production a bunch, especially on small batches. I make my own knives using a home-made rig, there's a post in the woodworking forum, I'll see if I can find it...

go here
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,30815.msg444391.html#msg444391
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

WoodenHead

I had the Woodmaster 725 with the dual routers.  Unfortunately I couldn't keep it, but I won't go into detail on that.  It was an awsome machine for planing wide materials and I miss the spiral head.  However, to do t&g, S4S, or moulding I would recommend a 4-head (or more machine).  I now have a Logosol PH260 (PH360 would be even better).  It can be done on the 718 or 725, but there's a lot more effort involved.  As Piney mentioned there may be ways to increase production though.  Yet, if you're doing a lot of t&g and/or moulding on a regular basis, a 4-head+ machine is the way to go.  If you're doing a little bit every now and then, the 718 can get the job done.  (In my opinion - humble or not  ;D)

rambo

Jake,
Thanks for all the insight. I don't quite have my brain wrapped around this trick you are trying to tell me about back cutting and planing. Maybe you have a picture of that? Probably once we start working with it I will understand what you mean.

rambo

Piney,
You remind me of my grandfather. He was a master craftsmen. Thanks for sharing your ingenuity. :)

rambo

Quote from: WoodenHead on March 16, 2013, 06:43:31 PM
I had the Woodmaster 725 with the dual routers.  Unfortunately I couldn't keep it, but I won't go into detail on that.  It was an awsome machine for planing wide materials and I miss the spiral head.  However, to do t&g, S4S, or moulding I would recommend a 4-head (or more machine).  I now have a Logosol PH260 (PH360 would be even better).  It can be done on the 718 or 725, but there's a lot more effort involved.  As Piney mentioned there may be ways to increase production though.  Yet, if you're doing a lot of t&g and/or moulding on a regular basis, a 4-head+ machine is the way to go.  If you're doing a little bit every now and then, the 718 can get the job done.  (In my opinion - humble or not  ;D)
For me having a planer that size was a big part of this purchase. I wanted to add value to the lumber I sell. Down the road if this really gets going then the logosol would probably be the ticket. I think we got into this at a very reasonable amount of money. I paid $850.00 for the 718. It was used one time and the man passed away. My uncle got the 712 and the 725 off the same guy for $3000.00. Between the two of us we got a pile of profiles that included crown, base board, casing, picture frame, large custom and other cutters that we don't even know what they are yet. So for a couple of small timers I think we can keep ourselves having fun until it is time to move onto a better machine.

hackberry jake

Quote from: rambo on March 18, 2013, 10:53:02 PM
Jake,
Thanks for all the insight. I don't quite have my brain wrapped around this trick you are trying to tell me about back cutting and planing. Maybe you have a picture of that? Probably once we start working with it I will understand what you mean.
Ok say you need a back relief in the middle of a 3-1/2" base trim. Say you want 1/4" depth on the back relieft. You would first have to plane all of your lumber to the same thickness and then set the height of the woodmaster to take out the 1/4" relief. Most back relief knifes are only as wide as the relief (say its 2"). If you make a knife that's the full 3-1/2" wide and it has a section in the middle that is 1/4" higher and 2" wide. Then you are cutting the back relief and planing at the same time. It elimates a step. If I need to post a pic just let me know.

rambo

Jake,
It seems like you are doing a great job of explaining. However, it is still not getting into my thick skull. A photo would really help. No hurry.

Thank You Sponsors!