iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need a saw ?

Started by sawwood, October 13, 2010, 07:58:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawwood

I need a new saw to help around the mill to cut down large logs to fit our mill. I know i will
buy Stihl but what size do i need. I was thinking i need one to handle 24 or 30" chain.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Magicman

I have used an old 028AV for years, but it was limited by bar length.  A couple of years ago, I bought a 310.  It is not a "production" saw, but was cheap, handles longer bars OK, and is not heavy.  I have been pleased with the 310.  When dealing with smaller logs, I still prefer the old 028.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

i had an o29 super. it was a real cutter and i loved using it around the mill. 18'' bar on mine but i think it would only go up to 20''. i now use a 660 magnum. 25'' bar and with a good sharp chain it cuts through oak logs like hot butter well almost. but it is heavy. i found that the paint on the bar on new stihl's is real sticky. mine sure worked a lot better after some of the paint got wore off. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

cleargrain

I'm with PC in that I like a saw that gets through the log in a hurry.  Until last spring I had an Stihl 066 - heavy, but as PC said goes through the log "like hot butter"   The 066 met and early death and I now have a 441.  Not as powerful as the 066, but a little lighter and has way better anti vibe features.  I use it around the mill and for felling and my hands don't get as tired as quickly as they did w/ the 066.  Most of my logs are 12 - 30 inch Doug Fir.  We also have an 026 which is a really nice, light saw but it has to work alot harder to get through the bigger logs.

-Scott
AK mill powered by either an 066 or an 075, '79 MD 127, Allis Chalmers 655 tracked loader/backhoe

customsawyer

I could not get by with just a saw so I have a bunch of them. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

ladylake

If your ripping the whole length of the log a 660, if just a butt flare a 440 or 441.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

terrifictimbersllc

I've used an MS460, 20"  as the main saw for portable milling for about 6 yrs now but have also carried 090AV with 41" bar.  MS460 could handle most anything if you carry a number of chains.   But tired of the weight and am going to get a 346XP next probably. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

sawwood

I have found a Stihl 038 with 30" bar for 275 and a 310 with 24" bar for 300. The 310
looks like a newer saw so going to go look at both. What one would you guys take?

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

bandmiller2

Around the mill a fella can handle a heavy saw as its only used for a short time on horizontal logs,a longer bar helps make accurate cuts.I use a Milwaukee electric with a 20" bar thats handy around the mill. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

simplicityguy92

ive got a stihl ms250. real light but cuts like a 90cc saw ands its only 45cc

woodmills1

I am/was an 028 fan

I now have an ms280  cuts real nice

also an older 038  and a little newer 066

but if the 280 is there I cut with it till huge
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Bill Gaiche

sawwood , i bought a 361 with a 20" bar. For me its a great saw. Runs real well not too heavy. The man whom sold it to me said that a 25" would work good also but the nose of the bar starts to get a little heavy.bg

paul case

bring that with you next time you come by and we can try my 25'' bar on it to see if you like it. i would let you cut with my 660 and we will see how they compare. i have a 48'' log to rip.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

captain_crunch

Kinda pricey but I just bought a new 372XP Husky for logging and around mill with a 28" bar and chistle bit chain smooth and fast and can take a 32" bar if needed
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Chris Burchfield

I use a Stihl MS-650 with a 36" bar.  I do not fell trees.  I wait for them to fall or someone to take them down.  I use it to cut a lot to length or chunks to go under the firewood splitter.  I have used it to rip lengthways when I was going to 1/4 saw.  I think the logs were 12 and 14'.  It does get heavy just to tote around.  I paid around $1200 to a dealer.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

SamB

My go to saw is a MS310 with a 20 inch bar. Great saw gets lots of use and abuse, if I was going with a 24 or 30 inch bar I'd want a little more power unless you're just sawing soft woods and or just don't like bending over. If I bury the 20 inch bar in an oak or hickory it gets it's heart rate up especially if you're ripping.

weisyboy

i baught a 460 she eats the logs, but i wouldnt run more than a 25" bar on it for production,
i have a 20" bar now and its good.

when i cut plantation pine i use the 026 with a 20" bar on it, it cuts pine like butter.

the biggest factor in chainsaw power is the chain, i use full chisel 3/8 Carlton chain.

god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

Thank You Sponsors!