iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood-Mizer battery access problem

Started by Jasperfield, October 16, 2010, 04:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasperfield

I have an LT40HDG28 with what appears to be a dead battery.

The saw head is lowered all the way down and is parked in the travel configuration. In this position I cannot remove the battery box cover to either jump-start the engine or remove the battery for recharging.

How do I get to the battery and / or jump start it?

Thanks,

Jasperfield

isawlogs

You can boots it from the starter ... There is a live wire from the starter to the battery, put your cables or booster pack there and put your ground wire to the mill frame , you should be good to start the engin and raise it .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

terrifictimbersllc

If like my LT40 the small box to right of battery with solenoid and fuses has a 6" hexagonal nut that threads onto one of the positive fuse posts.  You put positive on that and negative to the frame, then charge it a while till you can raise the head to get at the battery.

But you better look it up in the manual under battery, so you don't put something on backwards.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

barbender

I had to remove the belt off of the up/down drive motor and turn the gear box pulley by hand on mine. It took forever, theres probably a better way ::) You could probably make a makeshift crank handle that with prongs to fit in the pulley, but hopefully someone will chime in with a better idea. Update, while I was typing this 2 others already did :D
Too many irons in the fire

pineywoods

Sometimes I discharge the battery so low, can't get motor started. Like isawlogs says, hook the jumper pack or battery charger to the big post on the starter. That cable goes directly to the battery but does connect through a big fuse on the side of the battery box.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

isawlogs

You dont need to start the engin the get the mill head up this way , you can turn the key on and raise the head to be able to get the battery cover off.  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jasperfield

Thanks a lot, fellows!

I worked with it until dark, but not long enough to become frustrated. I'll try what you all have suggested on Monday morning.

I'm surprised the Wood-Mizer manual(s) don't cover this subject, but they don't.

Jasperfield

Chuck White

I can reach inbetween the top of the battery box and the sawhead then remove the wing nuts and lift the cover of of my battery box.

It's kind of a tight squeeze, but it can be done.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Quote from: Jasperfield on October 16, 2010, 07:53:02 PMI'm surprised the Wood-Mizer manual(s) don't cover this subject, but they don't.  Jasperfield 

My manual does.  Just like terrifictimbersllc described.  Jumper cable on the starter is easier.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brucer

Quote from: Jasperfield on October 16, 2010, 07:53:02 PM
I'm surprised the Wood-Mizer manual(s) don't cover this subject, but they don't.

Section 6.3 in the manual,
  "Troubleshooting Guide"
  "Fuse Terminal Extension Stud"
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Bibbyman

Quote from: Brucer on October 17, 2010, 01:17:20 AM
Quote from: Jasperfield on October 16, 2010, 07:53:02 PM

Section 6.3 in the manual,
  "Troubleshooting Guide"
  "Fuse Terminal Extension Stud"

I find that the Wood-Mizer manuals are very comprehensive.  The problem is, sometimes I just don't comprehend.  smiley_headscratch
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Chris Burchfield

I read about the procedure first time I read through the manuals.  It's kind of like an open book test.  You still have to have an idea about where it is before you can look it up.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Thank You Sponsors!