iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Hunting

Started by Nova, March 31, 2006, 07:02:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nova

I am trying my hand at posting pics and thought I would show what my wife and I 'found' yesterday.  This is mainly eastern white pine that was cleared for a new road for what I think is a subdivision expansion about 7 or 8 miles from where we will be building.  This picture does not do the logs justice and by my very rough guess I think there is about 40MBF in two stacks that are available for purchase.  For perspective, I am 6' 1" and 'somewhere' in excess of 235 lbs.  Although we will be building only a few miles away from where these logs are located the elevation of our property is about 500 higher and the soil make up is different so we do not have any pine and are blessed with a mainly hardwood hill.

Nova

...No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care...John Maxwell

kderby

Nice Logs and not blue...YET!  How many log trucks is 40 mbf in MD?  What do the trucks cost per hour? 

For me, this would be over ten self- loader loads at $80/hr.  I am in Oregon and the self loader carries logs up to fifty feet long but is limited to GVW.

Thanks for the picture.

KD

SwampDonkey

It's a wonder Irving hasn't snagged those logs. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Nova

kderby - Because we are so close to the landing the trucking will be flat rate and minimal, relatively speaking.  My BF estimate is based on 6 - 7 truckloads worth of logs scaled at about 6000 BF per truckload.  Most of these logs are 12 - 18 feet long, I'll need a few 20 footers for the longest posts I need to cut.  Normally around here blue stain isn't an issue until mid May and I plan to have the posts and beams cut and air drying by then and if I am really lucky I'll also have a kiln by that time but a lot of things have to fall in place in a hurry for the kiln to happen that quickly.  If by MD you mean Maryland, you gotta look a little farther north to find us...45 degrees north latitude in Nova Scotia.  Spring is usually cool and wet because of the Atlantic Ocean.  The weather for the last few days has been very unusual, sunny and temps of 14 - 18 Celsius (55 - 65 Fahrenheit).  Because of the dry winter and recent temps the fire season is starting 6 - 10 weeks early.  I don't ever remember farmers getting on their fields this early before and they are starting to work them already so maybe your blue stain warning is something I will have to deal with before I want to.

Swampy - Bowater-Mersey and Scott seem to have a better hold in this area.  I don't know if J.D. is around here or not.

The neat thing about this logger is he could sell his logs in a heart beat but he knows I need the larger ones for the timbers so he is going to set things up so I can cherry pick from the loads until I get the 16 or 17MBF I need then he will sell the rest.  I will need more logs later for the stud lumber and paneling but that will not be until the kiln is in place.

Nova
...No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care...John Maxwell

Part_Timer

Nova

Looks like you got a lot of work already lined up for that swinger.  When does it come in?

That micro you got coming is gona cut through that pine like my son through a plate of grits. :D

We just got back from the farm/vacation tonight.  I got a call from a friend that has a load of white oak waiting that needs cut.  I'll send you some pics. 

have a good one
Tom

Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

getoverit

Looks like you have jumped into the mill on a major scale !

Keep the pics rolling and good luck with the pine
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Nova

Part-Timer - you must have missed my whining post from last week about the mill.  Short story is it arrived 11 days ago but because of customs problems I only picked it up late Monday afternoon.  This week has been wired from front to back with things that could not be put off and that coupled with a pulled muscle in my back meant I only was able to find time to assemble the mill today.  Still no sawdust but that will change soon 8).  I tried to order the microkerf with the mill but I missed getting it in the crate.  Next order I send in will include the microkerf kit.  I'll look forward to seeing the pics of the WO.

GOI - I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw these logs on Thursday.  I can hardly wait to start on them :).

Part_Timer

I remember you telling me about missing the crate now that you say it.  I just read your post and man what a headache.  I've heard stories like yours.  I must have got lucky.  Mine went right through and was here 2 weeks early or maybe Marama added 3 weeks to the delivery time so I wouldn't know the differance.  :)

Kate and I have been looking at a way to add onto our barn so maybe we could stock a mill or two here in Indiana.  I wouldn't help you in Canada but it might help out those that are close.
We'll have to see what happens.

Best of luck in the sawdust making.  If you have questions just give a call.

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.

jpgreen

May not be of much help Bernie, but back here in the Golden state I've found if you strip the bark off ASAP, the blue stain stops.  At least with some of our species of pines..  :)
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Nova

Part_Timer - maybe it's time to change your handle to Full_Timer  :D. 

JP - Interesting.  Anybody with east coast eastern white pine have experience with this?

Part_Timer

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

If ya ever need a good laugh send me your number and I'll let you in on my "plan"  "hair brain idea"  I guess maybe dream is a better way to put it. 

Someday...................................

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.

Stephen

Never had to do it myself, but a friend has a few pines for me to cut. He said stripping the bark off the top of the log will keep it from staining as quickly.

Nova, you building near Canning?

Stephen
1994 WoodMizer LT40G18. 69 acres mixed wood. 1952 ford tractor, Norse 290 winch, studed Norse ice chains. 45-66DT Fiat.

Nova

Nope, near Greenwood.

slowzuki

Ah too bad you didn't have your mill earlier, I spent almost 4 weeks working on the base last fall with empty evenings.  You've got the WM rep at your doorstep in Aylesford too eh?  I saw his yard on my drives around the area.
Ken

Nova

Yes WM rep is quite close.  Nice guy, very well informed when it comes to wood, sawing and drying.  Drove by there yesterday, no mills in the yard.  Hope that means he has sold them all.  Came within 24 hours of putting a deposit on a LT40HD35 but just couldn't pull the trigger 'cause my business partner wasn't in agreement...  Spent three years on the base in a different capacity back in the early 90's.  One of the main reasons we are moving back to the area.  When we get the kiln going I will probably go thru him to get the DH unit.

Nova

Thank You Sponsors!