iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Why no reduction gears and a "real" clutch?

Started by Hilltop366, June 12, 2020, 01:25:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hilltop366

I seem to often be thinking about building a band sawmill in my head and look at threads on builds and repairs as well as videos, so the other day I got to wondering why on the higher powered and higher dollar mills are the manufactures not using reduction gears and real friction clutches? (maybe some are?)

It seems to me that the parts are probably all out there with proven reliability, the maintenance and durability would be way ahead of belts, no side loads on crank shafts no adjusting or slipping belts.

Perhaps it is cost but would the difference be that much by the time you design and produce and install all the bits and pieces for a belt reduction and engage/disengage mechanism?

It just seems that a mill manufacture would have gone to the next level by now, what am I not seeing here?

ladylake

A belt and 2 pulleys work just fine, industrial engines should be designed for side load.  Those Cat cranks are breaking in skid loaders  with no side load.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Southside

You want something to slip if you get too much resistance on your band and with a friction clutch it's either going to be the band on the wheels or the clutch itself, which is weaker?  The band slips on the wheels and I suspect you are replacing a band each time, because it's going to jump off. The clutch isn't going to slip too many times before you are replacing a rather expensive part asking why they just don't use a belt instead.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ianab

Swingblade mills generally have a centrifugal clutch, a gearbox AND a belt drive. Belts are a cheap and efficient way to transfer power, provide gearing, and even work as a clutch. Alignment doesn't even need to be 100%, and you get some vibration dampening (more of an issue with chain or circle mills).   

The belts are basically a consumable item, you should carry a spare set, and if they need replacing every "x" months, that's just part of your operating costs. 

A bit like cars still have "fan belts", even if they no longer drive the fan, they still run the AC / Power Steering / Alternator etc. It's cheap, simple and works.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

I have a centrifugal clutch on my sawmill. Just like a chainsaw, press the throttle and saw!!! One of the reason I bought it. No way I could reach for a handle each time to engage the motor with my shoulder. But I only have a 20 hp motor.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tacks Y

Why would one want reduction gears? Just to step speed back up with pulleys? Some mills run clutches, they just cost more to make this way. Both ways work.

Thank You Sponsors!