iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to grade lumber

Started by rambo, March 18, 2010, 12:11:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rambo

Could anyone suggest a good book or some info on how to grade lumber?

beenthere

Hardwood lumber?  cutting grades?  structural?

Softwood lumber?  cutting grades? structural? dimension?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jdtuttle

Woodmizer has a video series with a good section on grading.
jim
Have a great day

ickirby

Quote from: rambo on March 18, 2010, 12:11:29 AM
Could anyone suggest a good book or some info on how to grade lumber?

Here is a copy of the National Hardwood Lumber Association (NHLA) 2003 rule book for grading hardwood lumber.

Also the NHLA has other publications and videos etc... if you are interested in purchasing them. 

Ron Wenrich

Here's a discussion we had a couple of years ago:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,29330.msg422156.html#msg422156

It deals with hardwood lumber grading.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

rambo

Beenthere,
Sorry my question was so wide open. I am such a greenhorn I did not know how specific to ask that question.

jd,ickkirby and ron,

Thank you very much for the feed back.

Ron,
I printed out all the info you posted and I am going to digest that for a while and them I am sure I will have more questions. Right now I am like a sponge soaking up all the knowledge I can. Thanks again!!   
:P

rambo

ickirby,

I also printed out the rules and will be studing that info as well.

thank you

Cedarman

Some of the best money I ever spent in the early days of my sawing 25 years ago was to take the week long hardwood lumber grading short course.   That kept me from wasting more money than I imagined possible.  I wouldn't have known I was even wasting money. Also go to any field days where logs are graded and then sawn for grade.  Won't make you an expert but will point out how much more education is available.   
The education you get, whether formally or from this forum or word of mouth is more important to making the business work than any amount of machinery you can buy.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

ickirby

Quote from: Cedarman on March 19, 2010, 07:47:23 AM
The education you get, whether formally or from this forum or word of mouth is more important to making the business work than any amount of machinery you can buy.

Now thats some truly valuable advice right there.

rambo

Some of the best money I ever spent in the early days of my sawing 25 years ago was to take the week long hardwood lumber grading short course.

Where would I find a course like this?

Ron Wenrich

Penn State offers those courses.  Here's their webpage:  http://woodpro.cas.psu.edu/Programs.htm

I don't see any offered at this time, but maybe you should shoot them off an e-mail and find out when they have a course.  I took one there in the early '80s.  It was only a 4 day course, but worth the money.

There's also one in Ohio in June:

http://www.ohioforest.org/pdf/2010lumbergradingshortcoursebrochure.pdf
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

rambo

Ron,

Thanks again for all your help.

Gblombo

Check out my moulderblank.com site.  I do on-site intensive short courses for sales, receiving, sawyers, and lumber inspectors.  I'd be happy to talk with you about time and fees.

Greg
Greg

Strengthening your cost accounting muscles so you can flex them for your stakeholders and family.

Thank You Sponsors!