iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What do I build with this ?

Started by pineywoods, August 26, 2012, 12:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

Probably some wild and weird benches ?? Need ideas.. It's red oak, cut about 8 months ago, just couldn't see making firewood, that's where the rest of the tree went...

Note that it's not only crooked, it's also twisted. How to saw it required a bit of engineering analysis. Sawed off the top of the hump to give a flat side.
Then rolled it over 189 deg to put the flat side on the bunks.Saw off the horns

Saw off some thick slabs

OOps, the log's too wide for the mill. Slide the log sideways to clear the guide arm

Here's the end result.

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You said it Pineywoods. I would make some really nice benches out of this log.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

woodmills1

am I getting jaded or just spoiled?

I wouldnt put that on my mill :o
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: woodmills1 on August 26, 2012, 09:06:04 PM
am I getting jaded or just spoiled?

I wouldnt put that on my mill :o

I'd like to have a truck load of them crooked logs.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Buck

David, I wish you were closer. I hustled two mesquite logs about 6ft long down close to San Antonio. I've had them a few weeks and dont have any ideas yet. They are about the size of the op. without quite as much crook.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Weekend_Sawyer

If you can lay it down and saw it 2" thick it would make a real nice headboard for a bed. you would have to stop a couple of times and re adjust your dogging but I bed it could be done.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

bama20a

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on August 27, 2012, 06:58:23 AM
If you can lay it down and saw it 2" thick it would make a real nice headboard for a bed. you would have to stop a couple of times and re adjust your dogging but I bed it could be done.

Jon
Never would of thought of that,But you are right.Would may a nice head board
How would you lay it down to saw it?
Pineywood: sure hope you keep us posted,With alot of pics- ;D
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

metalspinner

The headboard idea sounds cool. :) A complimentary table  made with another slab at the foot of the bed can broaden the appeal of the bedroom suit.

I see several benches cut with the crook.  Set then around a camp fire ring or on a patio. It is possible to joint that shape and glue two of those slabs together for a larger tabletop.

Being Red Oak might limit the outdoor possibilites to those under cover.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

redbeard

Mantles or bar top live edges cut them thick.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Clam77

A large curved desk like a computer desk that you can pull a nice chair up to or maybe a workbench of the same style.
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Dodgy Loner

Lots of great ideas, here - I especially like the headboard idea. But me personally, I would build a fire with that log ;D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

metalspinner

smiley_idea  Chairmakers!

8/4 boards sawn to keep the curve already has the grain curved. You can then bandsaw with the grain for curved chair parts. No need for steaming.

A recent woodworking magazine showed a chairmaker using stock in just this manner. He used the curved grain parts for curved arms.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Dan_Shade

i'd build a fire with it :-)  you're milage (BTUs) may vary!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Warbird

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on August 27, 2012, 04:14:24 PM
Lots of great ideas, here - I especially like the headboard idea. But me personally, I would build a fire with that log ;D

LOL  I like the headboard and rough edge bar top ideas.

Okrafarmer

Definitely lay it down flat, otherwise whatever you make with it will almost certainly bow. Make two or three matching live-edge council benches that you can put in a circle, around a round table.

If you find any more like that, can I have some? Never mind, I reckon I can get some around here from the pulpwood yard, where the character up on the loader is scratching his head trying to figure out how to make it sit right on the semi-trailer.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

WDH

You could make some Wrap-around benches.  They would wrap around corners on the porch  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!