iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Paul's Door Toy Chest

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, September 09, 2012, 10:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Don't throw away old doors. My Dad bought a farm about 20 years ago that had a old house on it. The house was built in 1902. In a closet I found 3 old doors from the early 1900's. I really didn't know what to do with them so I made my son a toy chest. At the time, he was 4 months away from being born.

I left the door handle where it was to open the chest. After looking at Larry's cedar, I am thinking about lining Paul's toy chest with cedar.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Wow, that is extremely creative!  Beautiful job.  You must have done it right because it has stood the test of time and kids  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on September 09, 2012, 10:10:44 PM
it has stood the test of  kids  :).

Like I said.....this was before he was born.  :D

Woodchuck53

Nice job. A great use of good solid reusable material. My son also builds furniture from old doors. I'll see if we can find a shot or two.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Lud

Nice work.   I reused a door this Spring that I'd had sitting up in the barn for a decade or two.   Saving stuff for later use always seems like a good idea to me.....if you got the storage space!

Toss it?  Save it?   Sometimes it's  a fine line between a recycling opportunity and being on a hoarding TV show!
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

fishpharmer

Some of those old doors are real works of art and sturdy. 
Poston, you have created another work of art. 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Tree Feller

I agree with Danny that the use of the doors was extremely creative. Of course, comic writers have to be creative.   :D

I've often seen the phrase "instant heirloom" used to describe a piece of furniture. In this case, it is appropriate since you used antique doors to fashion the chest. Well done.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

drobertson

David, very nice to chest man,  outstanding! What a great idea, now you da man!  I can see one made verticle for grown ups and golf clubs!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Ron Scott

~Ron

CHARLIE

Now that's thinking out of the box.....no pun intended.....well, maybe it was....sorta. :)   That was a great idea and the toy box is sturdy and built to last for another 100 years. 8)  An heirloom with a story!
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

POSTON WIDEHEAD

WDH

Dangerous, very dangerous  :).

(Danger Will Robinson).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on September 13, 2012, 08:08:09 PM
Dangerous, very dangerous  :).

(Danger Will Robinson).

That does not compute.......

WDH

Obviously you are still lost in space.

isawlogs

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on September 13, 2012, 08:16:15 PM

smiley_whacko    I don't smoke or drink.....I'm just high on life.....maybe a little to high sometimes.  :D

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on September 13, 2012, 08:20:54 PM
Quote from: WDH on September 13, 2012, 08:16:15 PM

smiley_whacko    I don't smoke or drink.....I'm just high on life.....maybe a little to high sometimes.  :D

I thought he said you were lost in space, not that you were spaced-out!

Herb

Thank You Sponsors!