iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finishing for walnut slabs --- Bush Oil New favorite --- Rustic Look

Started by OffGrid973, March 29, 2016, 10:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OffGrid973

If anyone is looking to start using just oil for their finish to keep the rustic look, I would suggest Bush Oil.   I picked it up at the local wood show in Feb and finally have it working well, the key was proper sanding.   The Dutchman fix slab I only took down to 180 and the oil got stuck in the fibers and I couldn't buff out.   The second slab used belt sander at 40,80,120 grit, then switched to orbital palm sander at 150,220 and 320 until I couldn't see a single scratch.

Flood the top with oil, touch up dry spots after 15 min...after next 15 min cover liberally again, wait 15 and wipe off with paper towel followed by at shirt cut into pieces.   Now she has her rustic breakfast bar and this is just the bottom nobody will see. 

The Dutchman piece I will clean off with mineral spirits start at grit 80 and work through the same process to get it perfect.

Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

cbla

Very nice! I have a few slabs waiting for me and I like the way yours turned out.

Weekend_Sawyer

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

lowpolyjoe

Saga Dan

Nice Slabs...  Looks great installed!!!

Is the Brush Oil a variation of Danish Oil?  The application process sounds very similar.  My very first live edge project was a live edge walnut topped bar I made for myself.  I used a series of belt sander grits down to orbital sander to hand sanding and also using wet dry sand paper and steel wool during the application of several coats of Danish oil. I love the feel of the wood being the surface rather than some sort of surface coating.  Next thing to try is to use hand planes and card scrapers to get that ultimate smooth finish.  It does take a little bit more patience and time but the end result is that much better in my opinion.
2014 LT40 Manual; XP346; XP395; Logosol M8

OffGrid973

Hi Guys,

Thank you for the feedback, I am very happy with the outcome thus far, and more sanding tonight.

Ordered another half gallon from Bill this morning on the way into work and UPS tracker just confirmed a 6lbs package being delivered tomorrow.  http://bushproducts.com/products

Check it out if you are interested and mention you saw it on Forestry Forum, maybe we can drum up some more "support" to keep the "General Woodworking" section up and running.

Regarding the cabinet scrapper, I ordered one from Lie-Nielsen but was too scared I would ruin it when trying to create the "BURR".

Thanks,
-Chris
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

21incher

They came out nice. I use alot of Danish oil on walnut, but it has very little moisture  and stain resistance. Does the Bush oil  provide a moisture barrier when dry?  I have had mixed results trying to use a cabinet scraper on walnut. It is a little soft and you have to be real carefull. I have a nice walnut slab ready to make a bench and may have to look into that oil :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Saga Dan

The "burr" is not that difficult to create.  A burnisher is the most ideal tool but typically a screwdriver will work as well.  Like most things from Lie-Nielsen I am sure it came flat, square, and ready for a burr to be put on it.  There are several places and or videos that detail the process. Give it a try, the worst that can happen it that you have to try again to make a nice burr.  You need to draw out the metal edge and then roll it over.  When to time comes to sharpen it, draw the metal edge out again and flatten to polished square edges. 

I will have to look at the bush products website.
2014 LT40 Manual; XP346; XP395; Logosol M8

OffGrid973

Finished the top sanding and oil treatment today and ready for install tomorrow. 

Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

yukon cornelius

Looks great! I have never heard of that brand but I really do like an oil finish.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Thank You Sponsors!