iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hunting the elusive Michigan Pudding stone

Started by Jeff, June 14, 2008, 10:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

Also makes counting the trees you cut much faster .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Corley5

You got some good ones  8) 8) 8)  I brought home a biggun from the Pigeon River SF the other day to add to the collection.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Fla._Deadheader

I was taught, cut 'em low enough to drive over, and not snag taars, and they rot out faster. No need to have to push dirt to fill in the holes ???  Guess y'all like to do double-triple the work  ::) ::) ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jeff

I guess things are done differently in other places. Never seen a place yet where they build over top of stumps.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Reddog

Quote from: Jeff on June 29, 2008, 08:07:55 AM
I guess things are done differently in other places. Never seen a place yet where they build over top of stumps.

They don't have frost laws down south. Wait till he sees the holes you have to dig for foundations/footings. :D

thecfarm

Building??? What are you building?? House-camp???
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

We're building a building site. :) No definite plans for the actual building yet but our dream has always been to live in the U.P.

Fla._Deadheader

Guess y'all Northreners never heard of PILINGS for a deep solid base, for house support, or STILT Houses ???   ::) ;D ;D ;D

Y'all GOTTA get out more.  ;D ;D 8) :D :D

Google up "Stiltsville", in the Biscayne Bay.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Jeff

Sure we heard of pilings and piers. That's how the cabin is built, on concrete block piers built on poured concrete feet. We still removed the stumps under it as why would you want to have rotting vegetation and wood under your home to attract insects and termites and such? You don't let the wind and snow and animals under your homes either so they are enclosed regardless of the foundation for sanitation and heating purposes. So, in retaliation, No coon dogs underneath, and no bug eaten floors to fall on them.

I figured a New Jersey Boy would have that all figured out.

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

SPIKER

nice looking stones there :)

we get conglomerates like that around here but more rare I guess.   also they may not be good where heat can get to them.  we (as kids) used to find them and use em as fire rings build fire then when good & hot toss them into water & watch em explode.  if there were already wet they often exploded when heating up ...   I have been collecting rocks for 3~5 years at my place to build outside BBQ use rocks for foundation & outer srfaces. will get a tile cutter and split a lot of the smaller fancy ones and maybe polish them as countertop :)   should be very nice if my back is ever fixed.  (been stuck flat on floor for week and half now.) :(
mark M
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Jeff

The week I originally posted this, Tammy had spotted what she thought was a big pudding stone in the rock trail, but by the time she caught up with me and we went back to look, we could not find it. Only a small patch of stone appeared and it probably got covered with dust when we passed it. This last week while on a ride with my sister, I found it. I dug around it a little and saw it was probably bigger then I could handle.  The next morning I got up and announced that I was going to go get the rock. I was deemed crazy and touched and was told I was on my own.  Not nothing new. ;D

The following is a pictorial and videography of my catching up to and bringing the stone back, on my own. We are pretty certain that it weighs 1000 lbs+ 

I missed getting a picture of something other then in my mind, was the black bear that ran just in front of me on the trail as I set off to get the rock. That was just too Cool. Quite a surprise for him and me. :)

Getting the rock dug up was the first challenge, then out of the hole a bigger dilemma, then on to my little trailer another sort of challenge. I took pics on getting it out of the whole, and the videos are the attempts from failure to success on trying to get it on the trailer. :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qc2j9M1LT58

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zhkaa67Dlcg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Sfco6ZGYPTs

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GMUZapNeXGM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FjvKXKR2H4

beenthere

This is why you were asking about mineral rights??   ::) ::) ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

No :D  Not even close. If you read the mineral rights thread I stated why I was asking. ;)

sprucebunny

Nice rock, Jeff !! Good job  8)

I've done a little rock wrestling, myself  :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Texas Ranger

If the real Jeff, not that light weight replica, had been there it would not have taken so long.  Take a look at the baggy britches that dude was waring, some of the real Jeff's pants, I betcha.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

:D   I sure coulda used that extra 60 lbs of lead in my butt trying to pull the tongue of that trailer down. I've been paying for it ever since with some very strained muscles.  I unloaded the Rock at Lou's for him to admire. That way we can use the tractor to move it once we get a home of our own up there. I told him if we didnt ever move up there, that stone would stay with him as he's a puddin stone collector and admirer as well. It don't belong down here. It belongs in da U.P.  :)

logwalker

Is that the biggest you have found to date. That thing is huge!!
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Jeff

Actually, no its not the biggest by far, I know where there is a bigger one that is awesome but it would take a dozer to move it.

Fla._Deadheader

Maybe you mentioned it before, or, it's a secret  ???, but, what can you do with those rocks, now that you have them ???  Could you turn them into flooring or counter tops, or sumpin ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Jeff

I can trade them for smoked suckers, wampum and various other colored beads.  :)

Reddog

Or just look at them all pretty like in the yard. :)

Jeff

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!