iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

If you think building a sawmill is a big achievement...

Started by Ianab, May 08, 2014, 07:31:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Try a home built rally car.   :o

Alex is 21 year old, and has designed and built a road legal rally car, that does 0-120 mph in ~7 seconds.

http://www.3news.co.nz/Young-Kiwi-builds-rally-car-in-Coromandel-barn/tabid/317/articleID/343197/Default.aspx

A hot lap, turn the sound up  ;D. It's a Formula Renault racing engine in there.

http://www.3news.co.nz/Video-A-hotlap-with-Alex-Kelsey/tabid/415/articleID/343207/Default.aspx

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Den Socling

Ernie

I've live here for 43 years and Kiwi ingenuity never ceases to impress me.  Shades of Bert Munro and the world's fastest Indian.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

WmFritz

Quote from: Den Socling on May 08, 2014, 05:15:00 PM
Imagine if he was sitting on the correct side.

In the first video, they blamed the steering wheel being on the wrong side due to Alex's dyslexia.  :)

Very nice project this kid completed.
I loved the hot lap. I never get tired of hearing the sound of a high performance engine. I did cringe a little when I heard some gears clashing. 
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Qweaver

That is incredibly fast for a full bodied car. Formula and sports racers do it easily but they are not street legal.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

WmFritz

Quote from: Ernie on May 08, 2014, 06:31:05 PM
I've live here for 43 years and Kiwi ingenuity never ceases to impress me.  Shades of Bert Munro and the world's fastest Indian.

Ernie, I saw the movie made about Burt Munro with Anthony Hopkins a couple years ago. It was a great inspirational story.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill

Ianab

QuoteI did cringe a little when I heard some gears clashing. 

Don't think that was gearbox noise. It's a sequential box, without a manual clutch. Shifting is via paddles on the wheel, and the clutch(s?) work automatically. Was probably  the engine hitting the rev limiter before he shifted, and backfiring on the downshift?  I think he was hitting the rev limiter in top on the front straight before he started braking.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WmFritz

I heard him hitting the rev limiter... have to go back and watch it again. Thought I heard a some gear grinding going into or coming out of a corner and then the rev limiter stuttered a bit.

I think I know the clutch actuator your referring to. As an engineering student, my son had a year long project along with a team, building an open wheel car on a much smaller scale then your link. It had paddle shifters on the steering wheel with an air operated clutch actuator. It went through the gears like Alex's car.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill

Qweaver

Back when I was building and racing formula cars the gear boxes required heel and toe shifting skills that have disappeared with modern racing transmissions.  I hate that!  I spent a lot of time developing that skill.  Why should it be easier for the young-uns.  :D  Outstanding design and fab  skills on this young mans part.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Ianab

Know what you mean. Mum bought a new Toyota with a CVT. Works great, and the computer keeps the engine revs and gear ratio "just right" So the Auto version gets better mileage than the manual, with the same performance.

OK, when I drive it I usually flick it into "manual" mode and it then pretends it's a 6 speed sequential and you can use engine braking on hilly winding roads.

But you aren't going to go up and down through the gears like that car does with an old school manual gearbox  :D

Ian

drobertson

What an incredible build this young man has accomplished!  I would love to drive that rascal for a hot lap, maybe not quite that fast ;D  I heard the rev limit hit as well, solid engines and tranny's for sure! Suspension as well, man, that is an awesome racer.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!