iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

395xp muffler attachment

Started by Jimbob, May 11, 2008, 10:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimbob

Just removed the muffler on my 395. Between the muffler and the exhaust port, there is a gasket (next to the muffler) and an aluminum plate (next to the cylinder). Is this the way it is supposed to be ? (bought the saw used). Or is there supposed to also be a gasket between the aluminum plate and the cylinder ?
Also, the small cover at the top of the muffler appears to be dented in at at the bottom.
Is this normal; it's different from other pics of the 395 muffler that I've seen on the forum.
Also, the flat area of the cylinder port appears rough and somewhat pitted; is this normal ? (see pics)

Would like to mod this muffler; what is the largest area hole(s) I should make, and where should I put it ?
The existing muffler outlet (where the screen is) already appears to be approximately the same size as the muffler inlet. Also, is there an additional outlet behind the small cover that appears bent ?

Also just noticed that there is a burnt, slightly melted area underneath the top cover on the right front, like it has been exposed to hot exhaust gases. How serious is this ? (see pic)

Thanks,
Jim

Ironwood

I have the same dent (two 394's), don't know about the rest.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

jokers

Jimbob,

The dent is nothing to worry about.

In a ported muffler not only is muffler outlet size important, you also have to be sure that internal restrictions don`t exist. You also factor the screen mesh size into the muffler exhaust port size calcs because the mesh does cause a restriction.

The slight melting of the plastic is no big deal.

The gasket/heat shield arrangement is correct.

That looks like carbon build up in your exhaust port, not pitting. It doesn`t look too bad either but you can scrape it out with something soft enough that it won`t gouge the aluminum, maybe a piece of wood. Run the piston all the way up i it`s bore beforehand to block any carbon falling back into the cylinder and have at it. Then thoroughly remove all the chunks, being sure that none go back into the engine.

TexasTimbers

Jim good luck finding images of 395 mods. I found plenty of 372s before I modded it couple years ago. I have not seen a single 395 pic. I never decided on my pipe/outlet placement. I decided increased outlet would be the way to go because I can't picture pipes looking good anywhere.

If you don't mind keep this thread updated with whatever you do.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Thank You Sponsors!