iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Toe board for my HFE-21

Started by 21incher, August 07, 2015, 05:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

Just finished up adding a toe board to my little mill and I know how everyone likes pictures

First I fabricated some parts to add to my log support brackets.

Next I picked up a 2 ton jack for lifting.

Then machined some UHMW guides.

Plasma cut and welded on a handle extension for the jack release.

Made a handle for the jack to extend out from under the frame.

Plasma cut the toe board and welded it to the jack screw. Here is a video of cutting the part on my plasma table if anyone is interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GiMvHj-bX8

Started assembling. Mounted the pads to slide the assembly on the frame.

Added the top guide for the jack ram.

Added the pivit for the new handle.

Mounted the jack to the frame.

Added the toe board, return springs and anti rotation guides.

Added the handle and new linkage.

The finished toe board assembly with the adjustable log supports.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

21incher

Here it is sitting in the frame.

Dropped in the frame toe board down.

Toe board up.

View from underneath.

It can be placed anywhere in the frame for different log lengths.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Bruno of NH

You do great fab work !
Did you own a fab shop at one time ?
Wish I could learn some metal fab so I could do work like you .
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

fishfighter

Nice clean build. Myself, I'm still using a wood block and jack. ;D

21incher

Quote from: Bruno of NH on August 07, 2015, 05:33:24 PM
You do great fab work !
Did you own a fab shop at one time ?
Wish I could learn some metal fab so I could do work like you .
Jim/Bruno
Thanks Jim. I bought a old milling machine and welder about 10 years ago that got me started. It is just like wood working with different tools. Start with small projects and each one gets easier. :)

Magicman

You have a way of making even the simplest of task look professional.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Lazy logger

Nice work, and great addition. Beats the heck out of my scissor jack.
I know the voices in my head aren't real,but sometimes their ideas are just absolutely awesome!

WDH

Now that is the cat's meow! (old saying). 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ga Mtn Man

Very nice work!  What's the purpose of the saw-toothed edge?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

deadfall

Real pretty work.  Don't you get it dirty or scratched up.

Oh yeah, nice engineering.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

21incher

Thanks everyone.
Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on August 07, 2015, 08:43:26 PM
Very nice work!  What's the purpose of the saw-toothed edge?
When you place a log over 18" diameter on my little mill it is to big for the dogs so I rely on gravity to keep it from moving when taking the first slab off. The 2 threaded shafts on each end stabilize the log but sometimes the log slides around when trying to position it for the first cut. I am hoping the little teeth will grab the bark and  keep it from moving to make the setup a little easier. I won't know if it works untill I try it. :)

justallan1

Great build. I recognized the reasoning on the 2 bolts right away and think they're great. I've used wedges only at times and know for darned sure that your idea will be bunches more solid and lots easier on funny shaped logs. Great job.

21incher

Quote from: justallan1 on August 08, 2015, 08:43:38 AM
Great build. I recognized the reasoning on the 2 bolts right away and think they're great. I've used wedges only at times and know for darned sure that your idea will be bunches more solid and lots easier on funny shaped logs. Great job.
Thanks. I tried the wedges also and the logs still rocked which could stop the blade from moving. The angle brackets that came with the mill are a pain to use also. I think the main problem is that there are very few round or straight logs that I mill and many are to big for the mill so it is time consuming to position them.l can see why you went with a bigger mill. :)

Bill Gaiche

Kbeitz

I went the other way and pit a roller on my toe board.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

fishfighter

Quote from: Kbeitz on August 09, 2015, 02:42:56 PM

I like that idea. Like the KISS. ;D Once I get phase two built on the camp, I will start building my trailer for my mill. Looking t add things when I do.

21incher

Quote from: Kbeitz on August 09, 2015, 02:42:56 PM
I wanted to be able to easily move the toe board to anywhere on the trailer for different types of logs so I kept it as light as possible and moveable. I may make a couple of rollers to snap on it to help rolling the log. :)

Thank You Sponsors!