iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

craftsman chainsaw

Started by ely, June 22, 2007, 03:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ely

i know that heading will drag alot of looky lous in here. i was over at my cousins place yesterday and he showed me his new saw. new to him. it loos like a small red homelite frome the 1970s but it says craftsman on the side of it. the kicker of it all, it has this item made onto the side of it where you tension the chain. called an auto sharpener or something. i had to laugh :D. it seems you unlock the small lever and push it back, that forces a curved stone against the top of the chain. makes not much sense to me. but it was cool to look at. i don't see it working very well because the drags would be the same hieght as the cutters before long. anyway the saw was in a case and was in remarkable condition depending on the actual age of it. i just guessed at the 70s. i told him it was worth more to a collector than it was to cut with.

stonebroke

as I remember the sharpener worked so well people ground the chain right down. Cut a lot of wood but bought a lot of chains.

Stonebroke

johnjbc

I have one of those saws. It had a 17" Bar and used a special chain. I think it was a knock off of a Homelite and was made in Mexico. I currently have a 20" bar on it and it is a good running saw.
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

ely

yes, it does look like a homelite all the way. he said all he had to do was clean the carb and it runs great. same thing with the ryobi weed wacker that they got the same place.
his step dad works for the city hauling trash. someone just tossed it all in the dumpster. case and all on the chainsaw. just crazy.

Kcwoodbutcher

I had one and it used what they called a barracuda chain. The cutters were angled up and you would grind the top of them not the bottom. The sharpener didn't work very well, it cut too much tooth and didn't do anything to the side cutters. The stone in the sharpener wore way too fast. I went through too many chains before I loaned it to somebody and never got it back. Your right it was from the mid seventies.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Al_Smith

Sears and Roebuck marketed saws made by many manufactures  .Poulan,Wright,McCulloch  , just to name just a few.

That auto-sharp contraption was tried on several saws,one version of the Mini Mac also.It never really worked all that good.Most of those type saw that are still being used were changed to 3/8" lo-pro years ago.

I might further add that some of those saws that resemble a Homelite could in fact be Poulans .Hard to say without a picture.

rebocardo

The worse thing about the auto sharp on those saws is they leave an sickle type tooth that can really tear you up like a fish hook if the owner does not change the chain.

Thank You Sponsors!