iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

075 and there worth

Started by jonnywood, April 05, 2011, 10:35:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonnywood

so the dealer told me that the saw is geting gas. spark is good. going into the saw will cast 300+ for parts for just the top end from stihl.
is this older saw worth that kind of investment

just looking to use the saw for milling.

if its worth that can you get aftermarket parts at a cheeper price?

thanks for the info

beenthere

jonnywood
What is an 075 running saw worth to you?
Could you lay out $300 for a different running saw and have as much as you would have by fixing the 075?

Its worth can only be figured by you, not very well by us. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jonnywood

i guess more what i am saying is. i dont know alot about the 075 so if 300 gives me a good running saw was the 075 a good saw.

tyb525

I can't tell you it's worth or how it is as a saw, but you might try www.chainsawr.com for parts, you can probably find them cheaper there.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Ianab

Well the 075 was a great old beast of a saw, and would be one of the best machines you could use for milling.

You have to make the call on how much money you put into it, but with a proper rebuild it should so the job as well as a $1,000 new saw.

I wouldn't look at it as what the saw is worth after the rebuild, it might only be worth $200, but rather how much cutting it's going to do for you over the next few years.

110cc of old school Stihl torque there.  8)

Again, check with Chainsawr regarding parts, and the guys here can probably advise you on how to strip it down and rebuild it yourself.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

jonnywood

thanks for all the good info. now to find parts
anyone know of a good must have book on chainsaw repair that would be helpfull?

tyb525

Some of our members that frequent the chainsaw forum have tons of knowledge on the subject ;)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

sawguy21

As Ian said,the 075 is a torque monster. Great for milling but like my ex girlfriend it is high maintenance. The carb, muffler, and decomp valve tended to vibrate loose. The oil pump was a problem, it would let oil leak into the crank case causing a hydraulic lock. I would not sink a bunch of money into it, better to look for something more modern like a MS660 or 880 as a work saw.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

man of stihl

I think the 075 is a beast of a saw. I do have to use threadlocker when reassembling after a rebuild. But i do on all my saws anyhow. I also use locknuts on the carb. a good running 075 is worth$ 400.00+. for i have sold 2 on ebay. Is the cylinder salvageable? I have had to replace the piston and rings on them. not the cylinder. after market pistons are only about $35.00 + ship.

Thank You Sponsors!