iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree Shelters/Deer and Elk Problems

Started by firedog, March 05, 2006, 12:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firedog

I just had 5500 Fir and 100 Cedar planted. It took all of about a day for the deer to find the Cedar, they are spread out through the fir and so far the only thing they have touched is the cedar. I am interested in the best way to protect them. I don't plan on doing all 1000 but a hundred or so that are in the most accessible locations.  Will call my tree planter tomorrow to get his views also but wanted some opinions on Tree shelters or sprays to protect the cedars. They were nice 2' tall seedlings now the ones I saw yesterday aren't much more than a twig.

SPIKER

I've been pruning a bunch of cherry  & oak the last month, went into woods today to find 1/2 of the ones I pruned are tore up  >:( dang deer must have an ichy antler that won't come off.! :'( ::)  wish there was a way short of lead poisen to get that dang deer off my place.

tried the hair & other methosd soap ect.  nothing has helped so far.

mark M
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Sanford

One thing you might try on a few trees to see if it works is hanging a bar of Irish Spring soap next to the tree hanging from a string. Several of my neighbors say that it keeps them out of their azaleas,but I haven't tried it myself. They cut the bars in half, drilled a hole and ran the string through it to hang it. Seems like the deer don't like the smell. It could get a little expensive for a bunch of trees but it might be worth a try.  Sanford
Time and money will fix most anything, but I never have both at the same time!!!

firedog

One thing I was told works well is mixing a raw egg in some water and spraying it on the trees. But it washes of in the rain and here in Washington that doesn't work well.

Ron Scott

Some landowners use that mixture here also and tell me that it works, but it needs to sprayed it on regularly. 
~Ron

Tillaway

Vexar tubes should be used on the cedar as soon as you plant them.  Tube them all too, you will also need the bamboo stakes to hold them up.  Other wise you can lose them all if its not too late now.  A herd of elk will clean out a fresh plantation over night.  Watch for boomers as well.

You can get Vexar tubes from Terra Tech in Eugene.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Frank_Pender

What Tillaway said, has worked for me and the Cedars I planted 20 years ago.  I have since removed the tubes and the deer have come to rub just a few.  I leave them as the "rub trees".   They have become rather mis- shaped and so on, but the other trees seem unattended for rubbing.  The deer like the scent on their antlers and think it makes them cool smelling, I suppose. :D
Frank Pender

beenthere

Just how does a deer 'sniff' its antlers?   ::) ??? eh?   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Rockn H

He probably don't sniff his own antlers, but I bet the other deer think he's really aromatic. ::) ;D

Thank You Sponsors!