iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New owner. New videos 07/23/2021

Started by Satamax, August 15, 2015, 03:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

I don't have  a log pile.  :(
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

sprucebunny

Glad to see your progress !

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Ox

You keep plugging along and you'll be milling before you know it.  Then you're in trouble because everything will look like saw logs.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Satamax

Quote from: Ox on June 07, 2016, 09:52:56 AM
You keep plugging along and you'll be milling before you know it.  Then you're in trouble because everything will look like saw logs.

Well, question, what is the smallest size log which could be intresting to cut in larch? Got some tonight. We went on a mission with a friend, who had to cut two trees on a mountain path, to do some earthwork.  The feeling of the two trees was not planned, and the wood needed to be cleared quickly.  ;D

So now it's cleared, he's got a few saw logs, may be 2/3 of a cord. And we have those two 13'ish  logs. The middle of that 27'ish straight section was about 13" 14" Off center pith. Fastish growth (well for here. )

And i don't have a wood yard. But a friend of mine has 106 spruce logs planned to build a log home. Sitting about 100 yards from me. And he's complaining that they're roting away. They've been there since his his divorce.  Since he doesn't trust this wood anymore. He's ordered a big load of douglas. So i might have a fair bit of practice wood!  ;D
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Ox

Common thoughts are a minimum of 10" diameter logs.  But if you're milling for yourself, go as small as what you want to mess with!  I think you'll find the 10" is a good rule of thumb.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Satamax

Chuck White

I tell my customers that 8" on the small end is my limit.

Any less than 8" and my clamp can't be used, it would work for the opening cut, but when you turn it, the top of the small end will be lower than the top of my clamp.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

DMcCoy

Wow!  Doesn't look like they were stingy with the steel in the mill our your trucks.  1/2 the price of an LT10.  Not surprising actually, seems like bigger equipment often goes cheap(er).

When you get tired of sawing you can take in the scenery -  beautiful!!

Satamax

All the piers are in.

tnaz

Sweet; when will saw dust fly?

plowboyswr

:o every time I see that mill... what a beast.
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

5quarter

Satamax...you must live at a pretty high elevation. from the pics it looks like you're not too much lower than the tree line. Piers look solid...That ground looks awful hard,  :-\
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

DDW_OR

"let the machines do the work"

Satamax

Tnaz, may be by the end of the month.

5 quaters, it's writen on the left  ;D 5000ft above sea level. In Serre chevalier, if you want to check.

Quote from: DDW_OR on June 24, 2016, 02:46:32 AM
Satamax, you did see this thread?

Useful sawmill mods
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,7789.msg1397352/topicseen.html#msg1397352
DDW_OR, sorry i didn't pay attention to this one. Anything which could be usefull for me there?

DDW_OR

I think so, i only just found that thread so i am still reading, when i have time
"let the machines do the work"

Satamax

Hi guys.

I finished the repair for the head's up "power take off" ugly. But hey!

I ran out of 312 and 316 welding rods midway into the job. That's why there's metal missing.

And i have a question.

I would like to assemble the rails

with thick sheel metal splices, bolted. Like on railways. Held with nilstop nuts. What do you think. Good enough?

I would really like your advice on this one.

ozarkgem

as long as the joints were on the piers and shimed flat I don't see why it would not work.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Satamax

They gonna be shimmed and held down with rawlbolts.

ozarkgem

Do it . It will work.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

SCSawyer

I would love to have that head rig vertical, with a Frick carriage and lots of horsepower !!!!!!!!!!
Silas S. Roberts , Bluff Mtn. Timber

Satamax

Quote from: SCSawyer on July 11, 2016, 10:51:50 PM
I would love to have that head rig vertical, with a Frick carriage and lots of horsepower !!!!!!!!!!
Well, it defeats the purpose of an horizontal one. Which is being abble to saw long pieces without needing lots of length.

To me, one which is quite impressibe, on your side of the pond, and has some adban,tages of both worlds is this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwxDlcYs9FQ

As for mine. If i need more HP, i can go up to 62kw. As i have a motor.

tnaz

Very impressive, thanks for the video Satamax.

Terry

Czech_Made

Satamax, what a beast that saw is :)

Thanks.

Satamax

Hi guys!

Well, my first ever cut in my life!

The first one went kind of all right.

Then i went for a 10cm cut downwards. About 45cm width. The blade dipped, and i stalled my generator. Not good at all. With some friends, i had to wedge the cut, to get the blade out. The gen set is rated for 80kw. The motor is 22kw on the saw. Star triangle. When i put the saw on the triangle position, after few seconds running on the star position. The generator nearly stalls. It's a dang 80kw one. 

I feel sad, that the thing doesn't run properly. I couldn't start the Detroit 6-71 generator again, as the safety flap on the intake supercharger kept closing. Tho, i forgot to lube the blade. This is a european larch log. I will try again soon. But i'm not confident anymore. Sad!

tnaz

I would get that 6-71 running first then work on the mill. I'm no mechanic or sawyer; with that said, get the gen running then I would look a the band?

At least you made some saw dust so you know you're on track. 8)

Thank You Sponsors!