iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Startup portable sawmill

Started by Jakewhaley19, November 06, 2019, 06:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

I agree with Gerald on getting the wide head. That will open up a lot more markets for slabs and such compared to a regular width head.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

I am going to be the odd one out here. You can't be all things to every part of the market. If you have a killer slab market then a wide head makes sense, just realize that your operating expenses will be higher, so if 2% of your market is live edge slabs then does it make sense to operate 98% of the time at a higher cost? 

My market is flooring, siding, and other specialty lumber, I don't market slabs at all, so neither of my mills have a wide head, not would I want one. A multi head re-saw and drum sander are next on my list as they will make me money every week. 

You are starting out and likely will change your operation along the way,  leave yourself room to adapt / change course as you figure it out. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Jakewhaley19

I have been reading all of these and I will not be buying a mill for about a year and a half so I have to go work witha guy down the road on his mill it's a stationary one but its not his business its a hobby but I will be able to get the fell for it. My biggest question is will I be able to work a full time job and run a part time sawmill without completely neglecting my family.
Wanting to learn as much as I can while I can

WV Sawmiller

Jake,

We don't know your family situation so I don't see how we can answer your "neglect" the family question. You say you work construction but what kind of hours and what shifts do you work. (I assume construction is mostly day work but is it seasonal, do you work 4-10s of 5-8's, etc). I think most of us with kids look back and say we wish we had spent more time with our kids. My wife was lucky as a teacher she was at school with them all day and they were in her high school band so she spent lots of after hours time with them there too. I worked overseas in some real remote areas with longer breaks between hitches. The main thing no matter what your situation is to make sure you spend quality time with each of the kids and some may require more than the others. Its not fair but that is life. Good luck with the interning with your neighbor.

@Southside ,

Can you please clarify your comment about the wide head costs. I'm reading your reply as wide head mills being significantly more expensive to operate. Are they? Based on what? Obviously they cost more to buy initially and the bands are longer but seems to me they would not have to make as many revolutions to to cut the same amount of wood. Most of the time my blade guides are only about extended about half way out and I assume that is even more the case with the wide head models. At least when you do have that occasional wider log you can cut it without extra Bibbying. @POSTON WIDEHEAD - Dave, you've had that wide model long enough to give a good experienced opinion on that. What % of the time are you using the wide feature? Are you seeing an increased cost when sawing "Normal" sized logs?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

WV - looking at it from a production perspective say I use 6 bands in a day sawing 3,000 ft, a non wide head band is $34.00 right now on the WM site, Turbo 7, .055, 1 1/2", 184", double hard.  A wide head band, same spec, is $38.30.  A difference of $4.30, x 6 / day = $25.80 / day additional cost or $554.00 / month.  Now I sharpen my own bands so obviously I normally get more than one use / band so that number is not an actual cash number, but the cost of owning the bands and using them adds up.

As far a revolutions or BF / band I don't think there is any difference.  The band will still be running at +/- 5,800 FPS and your forward speed is limited by the engine torque and band profile, so you are not going to saw any faster with a longer band reducing the number of call it "teeth used per cut".  

To qualify my original statement though my point is that there is a correct tool for every purpose and if one is say looking at a $20K used non wide head mill vs a $35K new wide head best to know how often you will need that extra 6" to justify both the operating expense and the additional purchase cost, for me making 6" wide flooring the math does not add up.  
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

SS,

Thanks for the response. I am still not clear on the FPS issue but that's not your fault. I just figured if I cut a piece of meat one slice with a 12" knife it will cut deeper than using a 6" knife with the same pressure on the stroke. If you are correct it seems to me the wide and normal head bands will cut a board off a 10' long X 12" diameter log at the same speed/time required then the wide head will have run about 25% further than the narrow one. I just figured you'd have to change the bands less often on the wide heads and if a 158" band would cut 500 bf I thought a 200" band would cut something like 600-650 bf between changes. 

If the difference is having to buy new vs finding a good used mill you make a good point. I was assuming new costs only but assuming used wide vs normal would be the same except fewer wide are likely available used. 

My thoughts are a wide head will cut narrow stuff just as good as a wide one with a normal head you are going to miss out on the occasional wide log. I get calls all the time where the customer wants me to cut his logs into lumber 12" or less wide but he has one special log that he'd like to get a 32" wide counter top out of it. I can't cut the counter top with my mill but I could cut both with a wide head mill. If I were just cutting slabs I'd want one of the new slab cutting monsters. :D
Howard Green

Southside

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on November 10, 2019, 09:35:57 PMyou are going to miss out on the occasional wide log

You are correct, I may not be able to saw as wide of a slab as a wide head model, but that occasional log does not justify the constant expense I would incur, and to me it's about how much I keep, not how much I make at the end of the week that drives business decisions.  Of course, when the log is just a tad too wide for the wide head and the customer wants a single slab out of it then you are in the same boat.  

The other thing I find about those monsters is that production rate or BF / Hour drops like a cantilever head without the bottom cam follower, sorry too soon? :D .  They are miserable to maneuver around, roll on the mill, etc., those monster slabs are heavy as all get out, honestly I hate sawing them.  Give me 24" logs all day long and I can hammer.

Like I said, this is my experience in what works for my business model, a guy making single piece counter tops, table blanks, etc has a completely different market and if WM put full hydraulics onto one of those slab monsters then that would probably be the ticket.  When folks come looking for big, dry, slabs I actually send them down to another FF member who is set up for that, complete with kiln, a big planer, etc.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

nativewolf

Quote from: jeepcj779 on November 08, 2019, 12:26:12 AM
 Our President is wining a trade war with the Chinese, which, despite the current negative effects on timber prices, will be better for everyone in the end. When a trade deal is reached, tariffs will be removed, and it will also bring an end to the market fixing, currency manipulation, and unfair trade practices perpetrated by China. These behaviors have been allowed by previous administrations for years and have put the US at an economic disadvantage. A new trade agreement will give a boost to our already booming economy and create more opportunities for the type of business Jake is talking about. Demand from China will return, and domestic demand for those pallets you spoke of will also increase. Prices will rebound as a result. Maybe it is a good time to go into business.
Jake, here is another good thread to look in to: http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=100326.0
Not sure that such a political tone is appropriate on this thread.  That said I don't see any evidence that anyone is winning any "trade war".  @esteadle is stating facts on the negative impacts of the trade war and he didn't even note that hardwood forest products took the single greatest hit on a percent basis of anything.  If you purchase a sawmill and make plans for your product you absolutely should have some clarity on where the product will be marketed and the effort required.   AND the risks involved.  So much risk that entities like Norwest are retrenching and the Appalachian mills are rumored to be for sale.  Log exporters are sawing fence boards, etc.  As a portable sawmiller you're capped at an income of X many dollars- basically requiring you to be able to saw as many hours as you have income needs.  If you do part time and have a regular job that leaves weekends and evenings (family time) to be out at clients.  Something to think about.  In my mind @magicman has done just about as well as someone can do, he's retired  :D.  Ok not really but he does not have to depend on the mill to support his family.  I really think not being portable is the best choice for a person with family obligations and a job.  You might be surprised at how many logs make their way to you.

Know your local market- examples- @Magicman saws locally-this is not  global market, @Southside and @YellowHammer have well developed specialized local markets and are real experts.  If you can identify a local specialty market you'll be much safer from the impacts of trade disputes.  If you are a logger today the product market is tough, all low grade wood products have been adversely impacted by the trade wars and the markets are just flooded.  That has trickled up into things such as pallets, tie prices, etc.  By August of this year I had 3 buyers announce their plans to enter the fence board market as a way of consuming low grade redoak and keeping people busy.  Further, 3 more locals bought wide sawmills to make slabs.  Combined that stopped me from buying a mill.  Glad I hadn't received it.  My real niche is bespoke land management solutions and for me a mill was just a means to productize low grade material.  Now I am getting bugged by these guys trying to dump fence boards on my clients and badgered by wide slabbing guys who think I somehow have a need for a thousand slabs.

I can't speak to all local markets but one thing I would strongly caution...the wide slabbing market is, to me, oversupplied.  The cost to get into that business is low.  The quality of products coming from most suppliers is terrible.  Wide slabbing requires being willing and able to sit on inventory for a few years while it air dries or it requires a fancy vac kiln and some air drying.  I have been to some yards where they have literally thousands and thousands of slabs drying- maybe over an acre piled high and deep.  Secondly the export market has begun buying big uglies...only a matter of time before some of those reenter the US wood markets as dried and finished slab tables.  The only hope I see for this market is if someone siphons off a few hundred thousand slabs and sells them into California, TX, and S Florida maybe sparking a mini boom or if this becomes the thing to own in Dubai- the middle east has quite a few large homes and excess capital.  I know 2 really good live edge table makers-both have sold their slabbing mills as it is just so much easier to simply buy slabs.  They focus on the planning and sanding of 30-40" slabs they buy air dried or kiln dried.  Folks like @tule peak timber are in a different class of millers but again, it is a specialty market.  Lastly if you are doing portable slabbing and the log is huge how does your client deal with a 3" thick 30" wide 10' long slab of red oak.  Talk about a back breaker.  

The reason I expect slabs to re-enter the US market is that most homes in Asia are just too small for a large slab table.  Only the 1% of 1% have homes the size of the avg American home. 

Liking Walnut

SawyerTed

This is just a question regarding the slab market. 

Is the "slab" furniture/bar demand based on a fashion trend that will run its course and taper to a small but steady demand?  Are we already there?

I don't know the answer or have an opinion on the national or regional level.  I do have almost 2 years operating a portable milling operation so I have a handle on the answer for my situation.

It seems those who have been in this business for several years would have a good feel for the answer.  I know I get a request to saw wide slabs every few weeks.  

Fortunately, there appears to be a steady demand for utility lumber and out building framing and siding. Around 70% of my sawing is for trailer decking, barn framing, fencing, siding, dump truck side boards etc.  The other 30% is sawing for other purposes including about 3% of all being for live edge "slabs".  My requests for wide slabs don't justify the upgrade in mills.  This is especially true if this is a fashion trend trend that runs its course. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

tule peak timber

We sold our Lucas super slabber and our LT-70 wide last year.........It has proven to be a good move.
  VERY good advise above on this thread............ :)
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

jeepcj779

Political tone was imparted by the previous poster with the "your president" remark. I was stating my opinion on the trade war and the potential for a positive outcome. Past administrations have been both republican and democrat. What was political about that? If you would like to continue this discussion and keep it out of this thread, feel free to PM me.

Nebraska

You only get so many chances to be a good dad and good husband. Nothing else I can say matters to me more. Best of luck with your adventure.

jeepcj779

Jakewhaley19,
 Some of the major sawmill manufacturers put out some good products for research. I started my research about a year and a half out, so you're timing is good for getting started I think. Norwood puts out a pretty informative booklet "The Ultimate Guide to Portable Sawmills". I think you can request or order it from their web site. Timberking also has a booklet called "How to Set Up and Run a Profitable Custom Sawing Business". The Timberking booklet has some good stuff near the back that will help you to visualize what your expenses might look like and how increases and decreases in working hours affects your bottom line. Good basic information in both about wood characteristics and sawing techniques.

Magicman

Wood-Mizer also has (or had) various booklets aimed toward a potential sawyer.  I know that I "wore the covers" off of mine because the FF was not available to me at the time.  They do have an album of videos.

I am completing 17 years of portable sawing and have over 2MMbf (as in million) of lumber sawn under my belt.  My website is my principal advertising medium and I do not refuse any sawing job that the customer is willing to pay for.  258 miles is the furtherest paying job that I have sawn and I went there twice.  236 is the next furtherest and I think that I have been to that job location 8 different times and each time was for 2-3 weeks.  I have gone over 200 many times.  I gave away a 179 mile job and a 386 mile job this year.  Yes, I could have sawn both of them but my already committed sawing schedule would not allow it.  Choose your poison and take your medicine.

I can fairly easily saw 25" two live edged slabs.  If the customer wants wider than that, saw one live edge bookmatched slabs.  To me, that is the best and prettiest anyway.  Any competent woodworker can make one glue joint.  ;D

My mentality and business profile is not for everyone, but it works for me.  Not a living, but a good sideline gig.  Heck, I am 'posed to be retired. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jeepcj779

Here is the link to the Woodmizer stuff:

https://woodmizer.com/us/Resources/Magazines-Guides

The guides are at the bottom of the page, but you need to supply contact information to get them.

YellowHammer

Slabs are just a total pain for us.  I hate them.  However, they sell, and they sell well.  Considering I can charge more per board foot and as well as get double the board foot per slab, plus totally eliminate edge drop waste, slabs are very good money.  I think we sold maybe a dozen or so live edge slabs this Saturday, from $150 to $350 each, everything from poplar to walnut.  These are kiln dried and planed, either double live edge or single live edge, as MM describes below.  

For us, its just another product, and the LT70 Super Wide makes it a lot easier than with my old not wide mill.

The thing is, there are sooOOO many ways to make money with a band mill, its up to the Sawyer to figure out their market.    
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WV Sawmiller

YH,

Sorry about Saturday night. You make an excellent point. I am still waiting for a cost comparison from someone as to what it costs to run a wide vs a normal mill. I still think a wide band should cut more board feet between sharpenings than a normal band. If you can confirm or refute that I'd love to hear from an experienced user.

As to other products, I got 2-10' ash logs from a neighbor the other day and cut them this afternoon into tomato stakes. I find 5' tomato stakes sell best so I cut 10' logs into 1" thick boards, then stand them on edge and cut them into 1" strips like making stickers. I take the long "Stickers" and cut them in half with a circular saw set to cut on an angle so it leaves a diagonal cut on each half, hence each makes 2 stakes per sticker. I can sell them around here for $10/dz or $2/bf. They require more labor but if I made more I'd simplify and reduce the time required.

1 Mediocre and 1 poor quality ash log.

Approximately 45 Stickers ready to saw into 90 5' tomato stakes

Cut in half and ready for bundling into dozen/pack.

Approximately 22 dozen finished tomato stakes. $220 sell price for the 2 logs. Time could easily be cut in half if I made more and took the time to make a more proper station and better equipment to saw and tie them into bundles.

Because of flare and defects I ended up with a dozen 4' stakes, for which there is sometimes a market and a few 2' and 3' stickers and several buckets full to short 1X1 kindling pieces.
Howard Green

Southside

From a BF / band comparison my 35 uses a 158" band and my 70 uses a 184", which is about the same difference as a wide vs non wide 70, I don't see any increase in BF / use between the two.   
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Jakewhaley19

Well I think everyone is close to the same page here another question I have is if I go so with a used mill I think I want an lt35 or an lt40 but how old should I be willing to look at or how many engine hours I am mechanical and have access to a welder and shop but I don't want a peice of garbage either 
Wanting to learn as much as I can while I can

tule peak timber

Make sure that your local WM dealer will be able to give you the level of support that may be required. The dealerships vary . Guys that are successful in this business are pretty handy to begin with. Keep asking questions !
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Magicman

The LT40 underwent some significant changes from 1997 to 1998, so I would look for one at least 1998.  All of these changes are incorporated in the LT35 since it came online after 1998.

Horsepower and hydraulics are "king" when it comes to log handling.  Diesel also trumps gas in the torque category.  "Worn out" is not really a factor since bearings, etc are easily replaced.

Whatever you get remember that you will be dealing with mechanical, electrical, and hydraulics.  Reading, understanding, and following adjustment procedures, etc. will be the normal.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

If you are looking at WM mills I'd be sure to get the Viin and contact WM to see their suggested resale price and also check on support. WM has a service loop that comes through here every 2 years and a highly qualified tech comes out and does a complete check up and they come in a well stocked service truck with the normal wearing parts that may need replacing. Their parts are top quality and for prices their parts are very competitive. I'd check to see if the service loop covers your area - I bet it does. I see LT 35 hydraulic mills come up for sale fairly often as owners trade them in on an upgrade to a bigger mill. Keep your eyes open and good luck.
Howard Green

terrifictimbersllc

I've had two WM sawmills the first one for over 18 years, and never asked after the sale for any support from the regional dealer which sold it to me.  

Three regional dealers are in other states about 300 miles away.  With an exception or two, I called Indianapolis and got help there.  

Distance, the fact that I don't do DOT, but more importantly, that all problems I had were simple enough that I could fix them myself with excellent WM phone support, are the factors that made taking the mill to, or calling a regional dealer unnecessary.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

terrifictimbersllc

On the band length issue, 184/158 = 1.16, 16% longer, and (70 wide) 195/158 = 1.23 (23% longer).  One would have to have some good records and tight control between apples and oranges to notice or say reliably that there is longer band life or not.  Even though intuition tells me there should be some benefit which counteracts the higher band cost for longer bands.  Same as chainsaw cutting with a long chain vs a short chain.

My experience with WIDE so far....

My new mill is wide and my old one not.  On the old mill many customers would say they didnt want wide but then when they saw wide they wanted wide.  The old mill would cut 24" wide with the cant on the bed and the guide wide open but I could get up to 27" wide if I put the cant up on blocks and shifted it over.  Some of the customers wanted me to do this even though it took longer.

The new Wide mill cuts about 31" with the cant on the bed and already customers wanting me to do that who first said they didnt need wide wood.  So give them wide whether it's good for them or not, if that's what they want it seems.

The biggest difference I have found with WIDE so far with about 130 hr on the mill is that sawing big logs is much less drama. A 36-38" irregular log previously could take up to 3 hr to saw the first hour being just getting it under control.  That first hr is eliminated and the remaining 2 hrs shortened so the irregular monster gets cut in 1-1.5 hr overall.  And logs in the 30-34" range on the WIDE mill don't seem very big anymore.  The careful trimming, scooching over to the left, having to stop in a cut to make clearance etc. dont happen.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Stephen1

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on November 12, 2019, 08:57:09 AM

My experience with WIDE so far....

My new mill is wide and my old one not.  On the old mill many customers would say they didnt want wide but then when they saw wide they wanted wide.  The old mill would cut 24" wide with the cant on the bed and the guide wide open but I could get up to 27" wide if I put the cant up on blocks and shifted it over.  Some of the customers wanted me to do this even though it took longer.

The new Wide mill cuts about 31" with the cant on the bed and already customers wanting me to do that who first said they didnt need wide wood.  So give them wide whether it's good for them or not, if that's what they want it seems.

The biggest difference I have found with WIDE so far with about 130 hr on the mill is that sawing big logs is much less drama. A 36-38" irregular log previously could take up to 3 hr to saw the first hour being just getting it under control.  That first hr is eliminated and the remaining 2 hrs shortened so the irregular monster gets cut in 1-1.5 hr overall.  And logs in the 30-34" range on the WIDE mill don't seem very big anymore.  The careful trimming, scooching over to the left, having to stop in a cut to make clearance etc. dont happen.
I couldn't agree more with the above. 
Like a lot of us, I started with a chainsaw mill, blew up the chainsaw and when I priced a new bigger saw, I bought an old 1993 norwood, rebuilt it, ran it for2 years in my back yard. I realised there was a market for portable and bought the 1993 LT40HD.

I had the 1993 LT40HD for 7 years. I replaced most components in that time except the motor. It was a great mill, As MM says they revamped it in 97-98, changed to a 2plane clamp and roller toe boards which when I went for the new mill is all I really needed. The Wide was a suprise bonus that as TT points out, it makes those big ugly's easy to saw with or with out heavey equipment.
 I very rarely have to get the Tape measure out to see if I can saw them now.  I will aslo float my Bobcat to portable sites for a nice fee, which makes my day so much easier and around here and people will pay. I usually demand that now when I go to portable site for big ugly yard trees. 
I have been and still am portable, 80% of my work is slavaging someone's yard tree. 
I evolved and bough the IDRY vacuum kiln, as I was losing sawing jobs on those salvaged trees to firewood, as people did not want to wait 2 years to build their table. 
I have been doing this for 10 years now, and looking back, I would have bought the new mill sooner, the kiln came at the perfect time, as I did not lose any money selling my older mills, they both sold for I had paid for them. Used mill depreciation is almost nonexistant. Both my mills sold in under 2 hrs of the listing. Remember I am in a area of Canada that has 12-15 million people within a 4 hr drive of me. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!