iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Planer knives

Started by bandmiller2, June 20, 2012, 08:37:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

I have an old Parks planer 12" and my knives are dull.Do any of you sharpen your own or do you send them out.?I have a verticle milling machine and was thinking about making a holding jig and a cupwheel in the arbor at high speed.Any thoughts on the matter. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ely

it may work similar to a surface grinder which is what my friend uses to sharpen my blades.

pineywoods

Bandmiller, I did exactly what you are saying. Worked ok on good thick blades, not so good on the razor blade thin types from lunchbox type planers. The best way I have found is a jig to hold the blade and then run it across a big ole 12 inch disk bench sander. Sharpens fine and less tendency to burn the blade.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

york

Frank,too bad your so far away,i have a Grizzly knife grinder that you can have-don`t use any more...albert
Albert

terrifictimbersllc

I have a Delta 13" and sharpen mine on a Tormek with planer blade jig, and the newer black grinding wheel, meant for grinding HSS.  Would not be as fast as a power sander setup I think, or a jig on a dry grinder using a white wheel.  It goes slow if there is much to grind (nicks) and is a boring job, or a very very boring job if there are nicks,  but it works and doesn't burn.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

bandmiller2

Thanks Bert,A very generous offer,sounds like a road trip my be in my future.Frank C.

Al_Smith

I don't know if you could get the surface speed up high enough on a milling machine to do any good .Most old Bridge ports have enough slop in the y axis I'm not so sure how they'd work to precision grind .I know my 1940 Model M wouldn't .

I don't think in the case of the little Deltas the knives cost that much .You could do it on a good surface grinder with clean wheels I'm certain .

york

Albert

Slabs

I have the Grizzly and.....I like it.

Replacement parts are readily available, as a plus.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

bandmiller2

Al,before I retired I worked in a one man shop and I had a dandy surface grinder surplus from the Watervalese arsenal  NY. along with a brown and sharpe magnetic table.Used to resurface tractor heads on it.You never fully appreciate this stuff til you have it no more. Frank C.

snowshoveler

I picked up a vintage Black Diamond knife sharpener a few years ago.
The guy that had it didn't know the grinding wheels should be dressed once in a while.
I touched them up a bit and now a do a few knives for beer money.
Works very nice for me but can't do the knives for the lunch box planers.
Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

ohsoloco

I have that Grizzly knife grinder, and it's tough to get a nice grind on my planer/jointer knives.  When I adjust it it goes from the blade not touching the stone, to being way too heavy of a grind.  Just can't seem to get any fine adjustment on it...there's a lot of play in it.  Maybe I'm doing it wrong.  Anyone have any pointers for one of those  ???

ellmoe

Quote from: ohsoloco on June 21, 2012, 08:42:07 PM
I have that Grizzly knife grinder, and it's tough to get a nice grind on my planer/jointer knives.  When I adjust it it goes from the blade not touching the stone, to being way too heavy of a grind.  Just can't seem to get any fine adjustment on it...there's a lot of play in it.  Maybe I'm doing it wrong.  Anyone have any pointers for one of those  ???
I've got one and have the same problem. The adjustment seems to keep "drifting" after the adjusting should be stopped. Not happy at all with it.
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Al_Smith

Quote from: bandmiller2 on June 21, 2012, 08:06:39 PM
Used to resurface tractor heads on it.You never fully appreciate this stuff til you have it no more. Frank C.
I had a guy try to sell me a regular head surfacer,Blanchard ,for a grand .I told him it was a good price except just how many people grind cylnder heads any more --not many .

bandmiller2

Right Al, and how many brake rotor lathes are laying fallow,everything is disposible today. Frank C.

bandmiller2

Chris,that knife grinder you have was built in my hometown knew the owner.The guy that bought the building was a friend of mine If I only knew at the time could of had alot of the machinery, just went for scrap. Frank C.

woodmills1

I have one of the grizzly non water sharpener and it has done yeoman service for me

the 2 little wheel tighners on the plate slip

so I sent them to tight   ness   (notice I never said tight  H*&^)

now only the angle is left

be careful with the angle,  and slow with the feed, with the no lube grinding of this sharpener

so............. it has done very well for me

but I like projects :P
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!