iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Designing a small barn. Where to begin??

Started by ckprivette, March 25, 2014, 09:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ckprivette

60 miles or so. little place called Wilkesboro.

I really like the plan for the 16X24 shed you linked me to. I think that I could make that work, and so I've asked the original poster if a more detailed version is available so I can see if the joinery is within my skill set. we'll see what happens. thank you,
cp
The Lord is my shepherd.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: ckprivette on April 02, 2014, 02:20:09 PM
60 miles or so. little place called Wilkesboro.

Did you see that I'm coming to NC in July to teach a workshop?

You're welcome to come over, it appears to be about 3 hours drive east of you.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

ckprivette

I'd like that, Jim. What are the dates? Cost?

thanks heaps!
chris
The Lord is my shepherd.

Jim_Rogers

Check this out:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,73102.0.html

then send me an email and I'll send you some more info jrsawmill (at) verizon (dot) net.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thehardway

I see your probably about 3-3.5 hrs SW of me.  That's some pretty country out there.  I'm about 40mi. N of Danville VA, 1.5 hrs, N. of Greensboro, NC.

If you can take advantage of Jim's school that would be awesome.  I would go myself but funds are too tight this year.  Too many projects and too little time and money.

I've met Scott Smith who is hosting the event and he is a great guy too.  We worked on Joel Eisner's frame together.

I hope those plans work out for you.  Don't underestimate yourself in doing joinery work. If you have basic carpentry skills and can keep a chisel sharp and read the grain of the wood you are halfway there.  Leave your timber long and cut the most difficult joint first. If you mess up cut it off and try again. Once you get the difficult joint done then do the next most complex and so on.   Its only wood. If your timber gets too short for a post or beam you turn it into a scantling and mill out another ;D

Strive for perfection but don't feel bad if you make mistakes and fall short.  There is a margin of error acceptable and even the tightest of joints will show gaps in a couple years when the wood shrinks.  This is where having a good design comes in.  A well designed joint will move gracefully without failing as the timber shrinks and in some cases it will even get stronger.
Make yourself a couple of Roosters Mare and Colt saw horses as a practice project and they will really help you out and be indispensable to your shop as well.
Keep us posted on your progress. We like to see pictures 8)

Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

Thank You Sponsors!