iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 372xp vs. Jonsered cs 2172?

Started by gman98, December 12, 2016, 10:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman98

Hello fellas.  I've been looking at adding a 70cc saw to add to my arsenal and I'm trying to decide between these two saws.  I know they both have the same internal components, so why the price difference?  I've heard some mixed reviews on the 2172's, but I like the 372 I run as a company saw.  What is you guys opinions?
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

barbender

What color do you like better?  ;) I haven't run either, I have a 2171 that I like a lot. That's pre-Xtorq.
Too many irons in the fire

weimedog

Quote from: gman98 on December 12, 2016, 10:37:37 PM
Hello fellas.  I've been looking at adding a 70cc saw to add to my arsenal and I'm trying to decide between these two saws.  I know they both have the same internal components, so why the price difference?  I've heard some mixed reviews on the 2172's, but I like the 372 I run as a company saw.  What is you guys opinions?

Buy the less expensive one.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

HolmenTree

I like the Jonsered's colors better.
Only difference I notice is top handle angles between the two.

I first started logging with Jonsereds in the early years and thought the Husqvarna 162 offset angle top handle was weird. Bought my first Stihl a 038 for work in 1980 and it had a straight handle like my Jonsereds. Even my 1985 Stihl 038 Magnum still retained the straight handle.

But a weird thing happened when I bought my first Stihl 034 in 1984 and a 064 in '86, they both came with a angled handle like the Huskies....I thought "what the heck!"
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

thecfarm

I would go with dealer support. I went with Husky many years ago,the Sthil dealer I did not care for. Than the Husky dealer got bought out by a 4 wheeler,snowmobile place. I found another guy,Jonsered dealer,I like him,but he has some age to him,I know he will retire soon.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

celliott

Buy the cheaper one. If you like the more expensive one, use it as a bargaining chip. "you know, I can get this other saw, it's basically the same thing, for $75 less"

The handlebar and air filter are the big differences, and don't be sold on the bigger husqvarna air filter, it's not that big of a deal. Especially in winter. The G model heated handle husky's always came with the smaller air filter, that should say something.

Handlebar ergonomics are the biggest difference and likely the only one you would notice. If it's not a big deal, get the cheaper one.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

DeerMeadowFarm

I have the 372XP and really like it, but I bought my first Husqvarna saw when I first got married around 1988 and I've stuck with that brand ever since (why fix something that isn't broken?) and haven't bought any other brand since. Which one is cheaper BTW?

gman98

Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

David-L

depends on what handle works best for you. dealer, location, plenty of both in my area.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

SawTroll

Quote from: celliott on December 14, 2016, 06:28:01 AM

Handlebar ergonomics are the biggest difference and likely the only one you would notice. If it's not a big deal, get the cheaper one.

To me the handlebar difference is important, in favor of Husky - but it mainly is  important when limbing, not so much when falling or bucking.

Then there is the fact that the red ones are more "boxy" in shape, meaning there is an ounce or two of extra plastic (the metal is the same, except color). On the flip side, the red ones always comes without the bulk increasing HD stuff, while some 70cc + Husky models aren't available without that add-ons in North America (they are elsewhere).
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!