iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS 260 question

Started by joe_indi, November 23, 2016, 09:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe_indi

Yes this might be too basic, but an opinion from the great minds here would be helpful. What is your opinion of the MS 260 fitted with an 18" full chisel of 3/8" pitch on a 1.6mm guide bar?

NCFarmboy

Hard to beat!  Why an 18" bar?  There are only 2 more cutters on a 20" + 2" more reach JMO.
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

DelawhereJoe

Once I get my 026 rebuilt I plan to run it with 3/8 and an 18" bar.....but time isn't something I have in excess.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

HolmenTree

For my use a stock MS260 with a  full size 3/8 .063 chain would be too slow.
I need  production with fast chain speed with the bar buried in the wood.  So I would run a .325 23RS chisel chain with a 7T rim.
Cutting smaller diameter wood I'd run the 8T rim.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

joe_indi

In the 90s 36RS was for high powered saws of 70cc and above (038,044 onwards) but now on a 260? ???

HolmenTree

Happy birthday Joe!

Yes a full sized 36RS chain is a good fit for 70cc displacement and onwards saws. Even today's 60cc saws like the MS362 or 562XP can handle it.
But a 50cc MS260 for optimum  cutting performance stick with the suggested .325 b/c.

Like I said I need production cutting but if your not in a rush the big 36RS will get the job done.....eventually  :D
Best cutting chisel chain available today for the MS260 in my opinion is the little Picco 63PS.

Now something even better in standard 3/8" chassis would be the 33-36TS (Topic Super) for the MS260.
Cutter bit the size of a .325 23RS with a full 3/8" pitch chassis for durability and compatability to run on a standard 3/8" bar and rim sprocket.
Trouble is it's no longer available, I only have 6 loops left.

joe_indi

Strangely in 1999 they (Stihl) was not even recommending 36RS for the 039, they recommended the 36RM instead. I think today the 63PS would be the ideal choice for the 260 if an 18" bar was to be used. And, the current 26RSC is a bit tamer than the older 26RS, which, I was told is still available if ordered.

HolmenTree

Stihl know their market whether it's professional or homeowner end-users. The 039 was definitely not designed for the professional market and a semi chisel RM chain which is more forgiving in sharpening skills and stay sharp durability was the preferred chain for the non pro market.

The only difference in the RSC & RS is the redesigned  RSC has a built in "shock absorber" in the heel of the cutter. Cuts down on vibration which is why its called "Comfort".

Now the old RS design in the 33-36 for example were not as tame as it had no ramp on the depth gauge with only a ramp on the side link directly in front of the DG. And of course there is the RS with no kickback reduction ramps which is still sold today.

Enderslbz

Kind of apples to oranges, but I run up to a 20" with 3/8 full chisel on my 031AV (53cc). It does it, but you're not setting any speed records (and it makes me feel slightly bad for doing it to the old girl). What I've come across which I REALLY like is running the Stihl PS3 narrow kerf, low pro on my 290. I've got a Cannon 32" with the PS3 chain that I put on that when I need to get through some big stuff. Cuts about equivalent to the 20" full chisel 3/8.
Stihl 056AV MagnumII
Stihl MS 361
Stihl 261 C-M
Homelite XL2
Homelite Super 2

Thank You Sponsors!