iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna vs Stihl....POLL.

Started by ShaunUK, February 17, 2014, 07:20:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JT78

Both make good saws as already stated general maintenance and a Sharp chain will lengthen the saws life. Unless you are knowlegable enough to work on your own saws I would find a good dealer close by. If you have both brand available through a good dealer I have to say I prefer the husky depending on what model is in question.

brettl

Stihl, my favorite so far. The 026 Pro was incredible and no doubt still would be in service if it hadn't been stolen. Love all my Stihls since.

Redmax. I have the only Craftsman model ever farmed out to Redmax, a GZ4000 in disguise, and it's been a great saw. This is not a surprise as it's powered by a Zenoah engine, an engine I've been familiar with for a long time having used them on my rc planes. As long as the Poulan/Husky/Jonsered conglomerate don't change the OEM engine on the Redmax, I'd buy another one.

Dolmar/Makita, I'm going to try them next. In my opinion, it's only the lack of dealers that's hurt them. I've heard nothing but good things about them and our little Dolmar dealer just begs you to go out back and fire up their demo saws. I'm going to one of these days.

I wouldn't hesitate on a good buy on a Husky if I was looking for a saw and it was the size I wanted. In fact, I'm looking at trading one of my rc planes for a pair of them.

I'd like to see Echo and Redmax added to the poll.

ShaunUK

Thanks for all replies so far. Pretty much neck and neck so far unless someone can justify not adding Husqvarna and Jonsereds together. In the original thread the question was asked...what has Stihl got that Husqvarna hasn't...of which no replies have been given. If someone was to ask me...what has Husqvarna got that Stihl hasn't....my reply would be less dust around the air filter - because thats all i know.
When you see a like for like saw competing against each other there really isnt that much init apart from maintenance issues and maybe price. So for the Stihl fans out there a little justification would be appreciated as im on a learning curve here. Is the air injection a patent of Husqvarna's that stops the clogging of the air filter..?
Id like to find out which saws the majority of the professionals own, these people being those who work within the industry day in day out. I should have put more thought into the poll. :snowball:
Jonsereds 70E-Husqvarna 51-Husqvarna 50 Rancher

gspren

Near me there is a Stihl dealer that has his initials and SAW SHOP as the business name. He sells all the Stihl equipment plus the associated tools for professionals, Stihl tools are his business. If I want an Echo, Husky, Etc. it will be from a hardware store that sells chainsaws as a small part of there line. Your area may be reversed or you may not care about service but I do so I like Stihl.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

M_S_S

Where I live there are 3 Husky (2 pro shops, catering to loggers, 1 is an ATV, snowmobile dealer) and no S within 30 miles of me. 1 Echo dealer ( a hardware store) . The closest Stilh dealer is about 80 miles away. 5years ago I ran nothing but Stilhs because where I was there was a good dealer, now it is all Huskies. I like both saws but probably like the Huskies a tad better lol. ED
2- 562xp 24"bar
         576xp 28"bar
         385xp 28" and 32" bars
         25 ton Speeco
         6600 Ford
         02 Dodge diesel
         73 Ford 250

BradMarks

My experience using Husky's (model 61) is from some time ago, PCT work, so I'm curious as to how the newer saws hold up. We used to burn through shock mounts and sprockets on the Husky's. In the 90's used Stihl's, they had lower vibration, easier on the hands and much lower maintenance. Engines on both never failed.

ely

I voted stihl, but I have used huskys too and like them both.

weimedog

Quote from: ShaunUK on February 19, 2014, 08:05:35 AM
Thanks for all replies so far. Pretty much neck and neck so far unless someone can justify not adding Husqvarna and Jonsereds together. In the original thread the question was asked...what has Stihl got that Husqvarna hasn't...of which no replies have been given. If someone was to ask me...what has Husqvarna got that Stihl hasn't....my reply would be less dust around the air filter - because thats all i know.
:snowball:

The answer to what Husqvarna has that Stihl doesn't is saws at the price points of 545, 555, 365 that are essentially pro level saws for mid level prices. These Husqvarna models are pro level construction and performance competing with the mid level Stihl's such as the 311's & 391's. I'm sure most here have seen the difference between a 365 and a 372. They both cost less than the typical 441, 440,460 saws which are in the same weight / performance class. So bang per buck. Is a $700 dollar Stihl MS362 better than a $550 dollar 555? I don't know. I do know they both are fine saws, BOTH of them. But is a 562XP or Stihl 362 $150 dollars better? Maybe if your a pro...I don't know. I don't think so.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

mikey517

I needed a bigger saw than my Husqvarna 353 to clear a lot of downed ash trees. I also picked up some work with a friend processing firewood.

I was looking for a Stihl 391, something that could handle a 24" bar if necessary. The price would have been a bit over $600. My local dealer (stocks Stihl & Huskys) did not have any 391's, so I was about to pull the trigger on a 362 25" for $709. I just happened to mention that I was sorry I had missed out on the Husky 365 X-torq's when they were available, when he told me ha could get one with a 24" for $700.

A 70cc saw with pro construction (and easily converted to 372 power specs) for that price was no contest. A 70cc Stihl would have cost at least $150. more.

The 365 was really a "better bang for my buck" purchase, not a judgement on quality.

ShaunUK

The answer to what Husqvarna has that Stihl doesn't is saws at the price points of 545, 555, 365 that are essentially pro level saws for mid level prices. These Husqvarna models are pro level construction and performance competing with the mid level Stihl's such as the 311's & 391's. I'm sure most here have seen the difference between a 365 and a 372. They both cost less than the typical 441, 440,460 saws which are in the same weight / performance class. So bang per buck. Is a $700 dollar Stihl MS362 better than a $550 dollar 555? I don't know. I do know they both are fine saws, BOTH of them. But is a 562XP or Stihl 362 $150 dollars better? Maybe if your a pro...I don't know. I don't think so.[/i]
[/quote]
Well said, i did slightly touch on this when i said.. like for like and price n maintenance, but yeh like you say bang per buck.
Had a look at the Matika yesterday on youtube..Husqvarna 576xp vs. Makita DCS 6401... wow..i think Makita missed out on my poll..absolutley awsome, came out about even. If i could afford a big new chainsaw i would definatley check it out. dangle_smiley

saxon0364

I have always run Stihl saws.  I buy a new one about every year.    I have boxes full of dead ones.   Just keep im for parts.   But I have to say they are getting very pricey.  And, the dealer I go to seems to me moving more and more to the home owner market and catering less to loggers.   So,,I would certainly try a sachs-dolmar if some one around here sold and serviced them.   I like the idea of being able to buy parts on line.  That would be a big deal to me.
Nothing wrong with quiet.

charleswalton

I have had Huskys but I like my pro level stihls better and there are no Husky dealers left in my area.Price is not an issue with me because just like trucks and tractors I buy used and get a better deal usually.

brettl

Had a look at the Matika yesterday on youtube..Husqvarna 576xp vs. Makita DCS 6401... wow..i think Makita missed out on my poll..absolutley awsome, came out about even. If i could afford a big new chainsaw i would definatley check it out. dangle_smiley
[/quote]

Hopefully the Makita owners out there will put their votes in as Dolmar since they're the same saw.

JohnG28

Quote from: ShaunUK on February 20, 2014, 04:59:50 PM
The answer to what Husqvarna has that Stihl doesn't is saws at the price points of 545, 555, 365 that are essentially pro level saws for mid level prices. These Husqvarna models are pro level construction and performance competing with the mid level Stihl's such as the 311's & 391's. I'm sure most here have seen the difference between a 365 and a 372. They both cost less than the typical 441, 440,460 saws which are in the same weight / performance class. So bang per buck. Is a $700 dollar Stihl MS362 better than a $550 dollar 555? I don't know. I do know they both are fine saws, BOTH of them. But is a 562XP or Stihl 362 $150 dollars better? Maybe if your a pro...I don't know. I don't think so.[/i]
Well said, i did slightly touch on this when i said.. like for like and price n maintenance, but yeh like you say bang per buck.
[/quote]

They are Dolmar, so the option is out there.....
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

stihltoomany

Run what ya got, Buy what ya want!!  Only thing other than Stihl around here are Huskies at the farm and home, plastic. So guess what, I run Stihl, have for 30 years, had good luck. Last saw other than Stihl that I run was a Homelite 360, heck of a saw. Before that was a mac 3-25, wow that was a long time ago. Even though I am not a Pro Logger I run mostly pro-saws, like the power to weight ratio better. I let my dealer work on my saws, I repair alot of things but I ain't no chainsaw expert! You saw guys are worse than the Ford- Chevy guys, I drive a Dodge. :D
Way too many saws, mostly STIHL
Bobcat S650, Bobcat 331 excavator Bobcat A770
and other dirt toys
Looking for hyd bandsaw mill, Timberking used maybe? NOT anymore!
WoodMizer LT40 super

Andyshine77

These which brand is better polls are pointless. Most saw collectors understand that most modern pro saws will all last about the same, and cut about the same. We also know most of them won't be running in 30 years like the old tanks we collect and restore. Now I'm not saying I don't prefer to run modern saws, I do. However there is built in obsolescence and you simply can't overlook that. With that said, even then it comes down more to the owner of the tool, than the tool itself.     
Andre.

ShaunUK

Quote from: Andyshine77 on February 21, 2014, 03:27:28 AM
These which brand is better polls are pointless. Most saw collectors understand that most modern pro saws will all last about the same, and cut about the same. We also know most of them won't be running in 30 years like the old tanks we collect and restore. Now I'm not saying I don't prefer to run modern saws, I do. However there is built in obsolescence and you simply can't overlook that. With that said, even then it comes down more to the owner of the tool, than the tool itself.   
Do i see a Poulan, come on man, wheres your vote  :laugh:, or did you vote for something else..? ;D

ShaunUK

Quote from: JohnG28 on February 21, 2014, 12:57:12 AM
Quote from: ShaunUK on February 20, 2014, 04:59:50 PM

They are Dolmar, so the option is out there.....
[/quote]
I stand corrected. smiley_thumbsup

Andyshine77

Quote from: ShaunUK on February 21, 2014, 05:18:23 AM
Do i see a Poulan, come on man, wheres your vote  :laugh:, or did you vote for something else..? ;D

I voted for something else, simply because I own and run many different makes. I am a fan of the older Poulan saws, but I respect any well made saw. Brand means little to me, from saws to automobiles.
Andre.

ShaunUK

Quote from: saxon0364 on February 20, 2014, 07:15:17 PM
I have always run Stihl saws.  I buy a new one about every year.    I have boxes full of dead ones.   Just keep im for parts.   But I have to say they are getting very pricey.  And, the dealer I go to seems to me moving more and more to the home owner market and catering less to loggers.   So,,I would certainly try a sachs-dolmar if some one around here sold and serviced them.   I like the idea of being able to buy parts on line.  That would be a big deal to me.
Hi Saxon0364, how come a stihl chainsaw only last 12months.?  Money must be no option.  ;D

Weekend_Sawyer

The poll is showing Stihl in the lead. Why?
Better saws or better marketing?
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

gologit

Quote from: ShaunUK on February 21, 2014, 05:18:23 AM

Well said.  A good pro quality saw, taken care of properly, will last about like it's competition.

I run Stihl and I've run them for years.  I don't really think they're better than Husky but it's what I'm used to.  I know how to work on them a little and, more importantly, I know what to expect of them. I'm too old to change now.

I've seen loggers blow up Huskys and Stihls, pro saw or not, through poor maintenance and just plain abuse.  I've seen saws last a long time if they were taken care of and brand didn't seem to matter.

The reason I picked Stihl over Husky to start with?  My last Mac125 finally bit the dust and I needed a new saw for work the next day.  By the time I got to town that night the Husky dealer was closed but the Stihl shop still had the lights on.  I was able to grab an 090 and be back out in the woods the next day.  If the shop hours between the two places had been different I'd probably be running a Husky today.

For the weekend warriors I don't think brand makes a big difference.  Good mix, clean filter, sharp chain, don't over-work the saw for what it is...they'll all last a long time.
Semi-retired...life is good.

Paul_H

Quote from: ShaunUK on February 21, 2014, 05:35:34 AM

Hi Saxon0364, how come a stihl chainsaw only last 12months.?  Money must be no option.  ;D

A faller around here working 6 hours a day for 10 months of the year is at 1200 + hours.A lot of them will buy a new saw every year and use the 1200 hour machine as a spare saw or sell it off to the logging crew where they may get another few years as a landing bucking saw and eventually sold again as a firewood saw.
We have a few fallers that have an excellent maintenance program and will get two years before they purchase a new saw and use the other for a spare.

Dealer support is a valid consideration.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

ShaunUK

Quote from: Paul_H on February 21, 2014, 12:48:36 PM
Quote from: ShaunUK on February 21, 2014, 05:35:34 AM

A faller around here working 6 hours a day for 10 months of the year is at 1200 + hours.A lot of them will buy a new saw every year and use the 1200 hour machine as a spare saw or sell it off to the logging crew where they may get another few years as a landing bucking saw and eventually sold again as a firewood saw.
We have a few fallers that have an excellent maintenance program and will get two years before they purchase a new saw and use the other for a spare.

Dealer support is a valid consideration.
Understood. Id love to be over their working in the forest amongst the snow with a few of the lads, must be great. Plenty of woodland over here but your not aloud to touch it even if your freezing to death. All protected by that hairy goat legged female and her corporate friends. Violin_smiley

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Thank You Sponsors!