iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to the Forum, and having some questions on CB

Started by mikea5232, October 03, 2011, 10:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikea5232

I have a 4,000sf house and its built in the early 60's, unfinished basement and the windows are in pretty good shape. My question is
1) between the cb 5036 and the 6048. I would like to know if the 6048 will burn more wood than the 5036 heating the same footage?
2) It seems like all companies that sell insulated pex tubing, claim to have a heat loss of 1 degree per 100 feet.  but looking at it in person some looks like junk and some looks to be way better, but they claim the heat loss is all the same. 
All this stuff is confusing lol.
Thanks, mike.

thecfarm

Just want to welcome you to the forum and welcome you to the OWB world.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mikea5232

upsnake

No sure on the wood usage between, the two, I have the e classic.

But go with the best underground pex you can, that is not the place to skimp.

doctorb

I agree with upsnake.  I can't help you on wood consumption vs. heat output between these two units.

Regarding heat loss in your underground lines, here's a thread that will give you more information about it than you may want to know from experienced and knowledgeable people on the FF.  Welcome to the Forum.  The collective knowledge here is pretty amazing.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,48429.0.html
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

mikea5232

mrcaptainbob

Hi, Mike. I installed the 6048 about 7 years ago. My house is a two story brick from the early 1860's and is a bit over 4,000 sq.ft. with it's newer addition. The pro-pain bill was hovering around 450 Gallons for 6 weeks. A retirement account can't hold up to that kind of pressure, so something had to be done. It sure keeps us warm! I am pleased with it at times, and at times I wish there was a better way. I am a slave to it. Baby must be fed regardless of how I feel. Or what kind of weather is out there. Five degrees and ten inches of snow, sore back and sniveling nose...gotta feed Baby! The stack of wood this year is a SOLID 11' wide x 6' high x 48' long. This will get me about seven months of HARD winter heat. OF coarse, not every month is like that, but that's how I measure it. Each row is 11' x 6' by about 18"/20" and supplies one week of single digit weather. I am fortunate in that my neighbors let me keep their fields clear from storm damage trees and the natural selection of stuff dying off. I'm still a fan of ng, but that's not available out here, plus ...well, back to the bank account thing....
The house is divided into four zones with two additional, manual controlled zones for the bathrooms. They have hydronic in-floor and it is SUPER!

thecfarm

Just in time for the heating season. Update your profile so we know where you are from.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mikea5232

Yes, the heating season is coming to fast and this 75-80+ weather we are having is not going to last to much longer.  I never would have thought how many things there are to consider when putting in a boiler. I would have started sooner in the year. haha.

doctorb

My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

mikea5232

$13 a foot. my buddy gets a deal on it at his work because they use so much of it.

WI Fire

Welcome to the forum!
I thank you for the link to the pex you are going to use, but I wonder if you have considered CB at a list of 12$ per foot? Their pex is located in the core of the insulation, whereas the product you are considering, puts the pex on the lateral walls. Perhaps performance might be better wit CB product.

Whatever you decide, Best Wishes on your investment, and your adventure into this exciting practice of wood burning, and the wealth of knowledge and many opinions on this great forum! 8)

mikea5232

Thank you WI Fire.  I can get the uponor pipe for close to the same cost at the CB stuff.  The CB pipe is 4 3/8" and the uponor is almost 7".  There is a lot more insulation in the uponor pipe making me hope that it is better stuff. and i can not find the R-value of the CB ThermoPex. to try and compare it that way.  I have a buddy of mine gets a good deal on the uponor stuff through work and highly recommends it. So that's why i was going to put that stuff in.

Thank You Sponsors!