iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anybody selling crib blocks?

Started by WV Sawmiller, June 22, 2017, 08:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Wenrich

We always cut our cribbing from the low grade from the center of the log.  We looked at what our alternate market was.  For a 6x6, we would be thinking RR tie, and use that as our base price.  We didn't cut them up, and the price was $.50/bf picked up.  We also cut 5½x6x8 used for cribbing under houses when they moved them.  Price was $.50/bf for those.

The best price I got for 4x4 was a specialty item.  They wanted 4x4 clear, quartersawn white oak delivered to NYC.  Price was $4/bf.  They cut it into chocks for RR cars.  We also let them air dry, so there was some extra handling.

We used to cut bridge timbers for Koppers.  When they needed them, they would pay dearly for a 10x17x15.  Those were $1.50/bf.  But, you left a lot of grade on the piece, and you needed good timber.  That market fell apart and we hadn't cut a bridge in 15 yrs. 

The biggest piece of blocking I cut was a 20x20x10 chestnut oak.  We cut 10 of those and delivered them to a NJ band sawyer who wanted to cut 4 10x10s out of each one.  No wane.  We priced them out at a good price.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

4x4American

Yup.  If they gave me a big order thats one thing, but when people want a few pieces, I charge more of a retail price.  I can't give pine away around here...its crazy
Boy, back in my day..

moodnacreek

Used to get  $1  inch for 12x12 but now that nobody can run a chain saw I have to c.t.l. and strap on pallet. I charge $1.35 mixed hard wood to big for our firewood processor, For 8x8 $1 bd. ft.  6x6 $.80   Most goes out at 2 foot. If I had a big cut off line it would be easy but the chain sawing and lifting makes me earn it.

Thank You Sponsors!