iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What type of mill did this come off of?

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, March 08, 2012, 02:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I was sawing Cedar all day and just out of the blue, this guy stops by and gives me an old blade. He said he  thought I might like to have it to hang up at the mill.

All the old wheel blades I have seen are BIG ones. What would this 22 1/2 inch diameter blade have been used on? I don't see it milling a very big log. And the teeth are different than a larger blade I have.

Thanks.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Tim Lea

Magicman

What type of mill did this come off of?  Well that is simple, a "sawmill".   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

My "money" says it came off of an old buzz saw!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

shelbycharger400

buzz saw blade !

mount it on ur tractor with an arbor and a belt and let er rip!

sealark37

In the South, this blade was attached by crude bearings on a jack shaft to the rear frame of a T model Ford or A Model.  A wooden wheel on the opposite end of the shaft was driven by one rear wheel of the vehicle, which was jacked up off the ground.  The blade you have was fixed to the other end, where it was used to saw slabs and limbs to fireplace or wood stove length.  It was called a wood saw or buzz saw.  I used one as a child, and I was not very impressed with the safety features it presented.  It would do some work for the cold and the brave.  Regards, Clark

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: sealark37 on March 08, 2012, 04:22:42 PM
In the South, this blade was attached by crude bearings on a jack shaft to the rear frame of a T model Ford or A Model.  A wooden wheel on the opposite end of the shaft was driven by one rear wheel of the vehicle, which was jacked up off the ground.  The blade you have was fixed to the other end, where it was used to saw slabs and limbs to fireplace or wood stove length.  It was called a wood saw or buzz saw.  I used one as a child, and I was not very impressed with the safety features it presented.  It would do some work for the cold and the brave.  Regards, Clark

Very interesting Clark, I had no idea. Got some weird looking teeth on it. Now if I can find me a T-MODEL FORD, I'll have her up and running!  :)

Thanks!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on March 08, 2012, 03:16:46 PM
What type of mill did this come off of?  Well that is simple, a "sawmill".   :D

I guess I did ask a stupid question. stupid_smiley  :D :D :D :D :D

Buck

It does resemble the blades in modern trimmers. I'm with TR on that one.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

tyb525

They were very commonly powered by the belt pulley on an old tractor. They work great for cutting up slabs, so I've heard.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

bugdust

Sounds like the makings of a "death trap." I've seen similar saws like this as cutt-off saws, as even today they give me chills.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Jim_Rogers

We would call it a cord wood saw blade. But it's kind of hard to see the blade's teeth.
If you posted closeup maybe we could see it better.
I have an old cord wood saw frame here and I could compare that blade with mine.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

shelbycharger400

i have 5 blades similar to them here.    one is 17 inch,  2 are 25,   and 2 at 29

pineywoods

It came off one of these. I borrowed the pic from Tom's gallery. The teeth are funny shaped because they have been filed back to a nub. As a teenager, I had a part time business grinding and reshaping the teeth and hammering the blade.

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Chuck White

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on March 08, 2012, 04:41:00 PM
Got some weird looking teeth on it.
Thanks!

The blade is a cross-cut, and no doubt has been sharpened by hand (no guide) by an unknown number of people, so that all adds to its wierd looking teeth.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

millwright

Pineywoods is right on the money, I have several of the blades from a wheel saw and they look the same, I also have a couple of model Ts if you want to try that.

bandmiller2

That buzzsaw blade has seen better days.Most had an 1 3/8" arbor hole.They were designed as a cross cut saw.That old blade has misfiled teeth and would have to be forced into wood. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

thebckhntr

I would also bet on the buzz saw. My grandparents used one up into the 90's to cut wood for the cookstove in their kitchen. If I can get to it in the barn I will try to get a picture of it. It was ear piercing loud. Dangerous.
Peterson 10" WPF        Everyday Is A Good Day!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thebckhntr on March 08, 2012, 08:32:27 PM
I would also bet on the buzz saw. My grandparents used one up into the 90's to cut wood for the cookstove in their kitchen. If I can get to it in the barn I will try to get a picture of it. It was ear piercing loud. Dangerous.

Yes....post a pic Buck Hunter. Thanks. And welcome to the Forum!

markd

I have a buzz saw with the flat belt driven by an old case tractor that I cut up my slabs with, I much prefer it to the chainsaw.
markd

thecol

i vote buzz saw i would make a nice painted sing

steve phillips

hey post
you can put a pulley on the 140 . see no flower pot lol
if its not broke dont fix it !!!!

johnjbc

LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Taylortractornut

Tractor cutoff saw.     Theres some now that are being made for modern tractors with a v belt pulley and gear box.   I saved a cut off saw from a scrapper a few years back and want to used it for firewooding  the smaller stuff. 

http://www.newhavenpower.com/Woodsman250.html
My overload permit starts after sunset

Thank You Sponsors!