iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ATV Logging trailer

Started by jerry sundberg, December 29, 2018, 10:53:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

I like that!! Did you build that?
Can you get some actions pictures of it and post it in this thread?
http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=13313.0
I'll never found it again.
Got a winch behind it?
I kinda hope you put something around the seat to keep you on it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jerry sundberg

Farmall  man

jerry sundberg

This is my skidder I use to bring trees out to field to cut to length. Thinking using a trailer with boom I could eliminate one or two handling operations. That why I'm asking about ATV trailers.
Farmall  man

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

jerry sundberg

I built the skidder in 96 and have pulled 12-15 cords out every year since with my wife's help. She hooks up the cable for me and then I pull the load up to the skidder. But now she's 80 and doesn't "enjoy it as much anymore" I want to build the ATV trailer. I have the trailer just need to build the boom loader part.
It has all hydraulic steering and a #8000 lb winch on the back with 150' of cable so I don't have to drive up to the log, just pull it out to the trail. We clear cut every thing so we get new growth and we replant new and different spieces in the cleared areas.
I don't have any working photos just one being built.
Farmall  man

John Mc

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with, Jerry.

Have you looked at the DanG-DeadHeader Log Lifter as an option for loading your trailer (named after a couple of forum members who popularized it here). Here are a couple of threads:

DanG-Deadheader Log Lifter
Moving Logs - this thread includes a photo sequence of the D-D log lifter in action

And here is a series of youtube videos from someone who made a similar set-up:
Trailer with Log Lifting Arch. The main videos on the build of the arch itself are #2 and #5. He mounts the hinge point for the arch all the way on the rear of the trailer. Others I've seen have mounted it a bit further forward of the rear. This lets you add check-chains from the rear to the arch to prevent the arch from dropping all the way into the trailer once it goes over center when pulling in a log (the chains can be disconnected to lay the arch down in the trailer). You don;t want to go too far forward with the pivot point, as it may lead to logs hanging up on the rear of the trailer as you are trying to load them.

These log loading arches are a quick and simple way to get logs onto a trailer. However, if you really need a crane, there may be no substitute, and it certainly appears you have the skill to build one.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

jerry sundberg

This was one of the best video's I've watched ! Thanks for cluing me in .
I have a 3 1/2" sch. 80 pipe 6' long for the mast and 3" sq. tubing for the boom. Just have to make the fittings to hold it all together.
If I use it with the skidder or my tractor I have the option of hyd. winch or 12 volt. A couple of issues as I think about it is controlling the winch and the retrieval speed. If I use 12 volt it's slow especially if I'm out 100'. Hydraulically I'd have to be back at the machine to run the control and if the log gets hung up I'd have to walk back there. With the 12 volt I can use a wireless control.
I'm going to pull the trailer out of the back forty today for some study time.

Farmall  man

jerry sundberg

These are some pic's of how it was built before paint.
Farmall  man

Crusarius

please be careful using pipe. Pipe was designed to transfer fluids, not loads. Just because it looks heavy does not mean it is strong. 

If I understood what you said I would bet the first time you try to lift a log you will bend the mast.

That is definitely a sweet skidder you built.

mike_belben

I think 3.5" sched 80 will live.  

You can go remote hydraulic by using a harbor freight remote atv winch control to switch a solenoid operated hydraulic control valve.  

I love the skidder
Praise The Lord

Wallys World

I have a Wallenstein Timber Talon. It has a hydraulic axle to balance the load out.

I pull it with my Kubota BX22, the S10 pickup or my other trucks.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

John Mc

Quote from: Wallys World on January 03, 2019, 04:33:21 PM
I have a Wallenstein Timber Talon. It has a hydraulic axle to balance the load out.

I pull it with my Kubota BX22, the S10 pickup or my other trucks.
Nice!
What model is that? Does your BX have any trouble pulling it when loaded?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

thecfarm

A BX22   That is a small tractor. There is no way that tractor could move that load on my land. And that is not even coming down the steep hill.
I would like one of them trailers,but fear I would have to upgrade to at least a 60hp tractor to make it work on my land.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John Mc

Quote from: thecfarm on January 03, 2019, 11:28:19 PM
A BX22   That is a small tractor. There is no way that tractor could move that load on my land. And that is not even coming down the steep hill.
I would like one of them trailers,but fear I would have to upgrade to at least a 60hp tractor to make it work on my land.
I've got a similar one that I pull behind a Metavic M95 loader on their 13RF trailer. Empty weight is close to 1500#, load capacity is 6000#. Recommended for tractors 20 HP and larger. I think 20 HP would be pushing my luck on hilly ground, but I don't have problems pulling it behind my NH TC33D tractor (33HP, weight is probably up close to 4000# with the filled rear tires and all accessories & mods loaded on it). I do need the chains on my rear tires (they are R4 "industrial" tires), unless I'm using it in good conditions and on mild hills.
I've not attempted to run the trailer fully loaded while running in my woods yet. The trailer has has electric brakes and knobby tires to give it some braking traction (instead of their standard smooth implement tires). I have not yet wired up a brake controller to my tractor for it. I'll be running the brakes manually, since the tractor does not have a means to trigger the controller automatically. The brake/tire set up was specified by the guy I bought it from when he purchased it new as "coming-down-a-steep-hill-with-a-load insurance". I thought it was a great idea.

Wallys World

It handles it good. The trailer does have surge brakes on it. It is made to go behind a large ATV. If I think it won't be safe to move it, I hook the old S10 pickup to it and that has no problem moving it.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

jerry sundberg

Farmall  man

jerry sundberg

As you can see I really had to drag it out of the weeds! It's been quite cold so this is dragging out a bit. I've added the boom to it now with support chains to the mast. Pintle loop for hitch, adjustable boom with a fair head added. I'll post more pics tomorrow.
Farmall  man

thecfarm

Trailer looks good.
Whatcha got pulling it?

John Mc

I love seeing this stuff. Looking forward to seeing the photos with your boom, @jerry sundberg .

I'm pretty much set myself for getting firewood and logs out of the woods, but have several friends considering their options. Most are looking at firewood harvesting, with only the occasional longer log brought out for some special project. Budget is an issue for some, but a couple of them are handy scroungers and fabricators. Running out to buy a new tractor is probably not in the cards. Some already own an ATV, others are starting from scratch.

I've only done minimal work with an ATV/UTV myself, and that was an antique that is quite different from today's vehicles. In addition to seeing the equipment, I'd like to hear about what you are doing with it: what's a comfortable-sized load, and what type of terrain are you working on?

Crusarius

I would question the structural stability of that eaton axle without the third member and diff cover on it. I can see that turning into a very happy (smiling) axle after a few heavy loads.

Good start though.

mike_belben

Easy fix.  Just weld a rebar tension strut underneath.  A block of say 2x3 square tube should run underneath across the hole parallel to frame rails to space the strut down.  Then just bend the rebar, roundstock or flat bar etc into a little smile and weld at the 3 points underneath.  Itll be very stout.
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Quote from: thecfarm on January 18, 2019, 07:01:08 AM
Trailer looks good.
Whatcha got pulling it?
Thats his sweet homemade articulated skidder tractor. 
Praise The Lord

jerry sundberg

I've hauled many a ton of scrap and logs with it and nothing has bent yet so I think it'll be fine and what logs I will be hauling are not all that big 12" Aspen and Balsam and a few Black Ash. I'd say if I got 2 1/2 ton on it it would be a load. The axle is a 3/4 ton Chevy with 8- 19 1/2" tires from a hy rail truck. Way too cold to work on it today -20*. Here are a couple more pics.

Farmall  man

upnut

Some observations: Glad to see you reversed the wheels to narrow it up, even if you have to rebuild the bunks. You may want to make the top link to your boom adjustable, like the turnbuckles used elsewhere. And, how's that aluminum lawn chair working out?... ;)...Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

jerry sundberg

I like your idea of making the boom adjustable ! How about using a cable come along ? Double up the cable for more power. Oh the chair is a must on any project ! One has to have a place to have a cup and ponder the next move !
Farmall  man

Thank You Sponsors!