iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How heavy is your trailer?

Started by hillbilly, March 05, 2005, 07:56:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnjbc

Thanks Brian I didn't know they had changed it. Looks like it might still apply if you go out of state. Also I can't find anything on the GCVW limits on the Pemm DOT web site

a) A combination of vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more,
provided the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.
b) A single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 or more pounds.
c) A vehicle designed to transport 16 or more persons, including the driver.
d) A school bus designed to carry 11 passengers or more, including the driver.
e) Any size vehicle which transports hazardous materials and is required to be placarded in
accordance with Department regulations.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/pub_223/section_1.pdf

Pennsylvania is one of 59 jurisdictions in North America who are members of the International Registration Plan
(IRP). Except for Alaska and Hawaii, all other states and the District of Columbia are members of the IRP. In
addition, the Canadian Provinces of Alberta, British Columbia, Manitola, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Nova
Scotia, Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island and Saskatchewan participate in the plan.
The IRP applies to vehicles that operate through (interstate) or within (intrastate) any of the member
jurisdictions and that are used for the transportation of persons for hire or are designed, used or maintained for
transportation of property. The plan covers motor vehicles with a gross weight or registered gross weight in
excess of 26,000 pounds, combinations with a gross weight in excess of 26,000 pounds and motor vehicleshaving three or more axles, regardless of weight.
A Pennsylvania-registered vehicle must possess one of the following credentials in order to operate in any of
the other member jurisdictions:
1. An IRP registration plate with other jurisdictions listed on the cab card and the corresponding weight.
2. An IRP temporary registration issued by a company on an official form.
3. A wire service telegram.
4. A trip permit issued by the other jurisdiction or its agents.
5. Full registration issued by the other jurisdiction.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/fs-pabv.pdf
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

pigman

J_T,
That only applies if you are a dumb farmer like me, I think. I know I am dumb and I know I am a farmer, I just don't know  if I am right about the other part. :P
Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Rockn H

Weeksville I stand corrected.
Interesting the way North Carolina words it, they put the federal def. then go on to say more or less 10,000lbs for the trailer period.  I never think of the state laws since I run interstate commerce and every state I've delt with including North Carolina has went by the Federal DOT Regs.  I always just assumed thats what they followed.  Maybe its because I run Apportioned plates.  Still learning something new.  Come to think of it I'm delivering in North Carolina Tuesday, if I get my nerve up I may stop and ask the Dot at one of the scale houses.  Those guys make me a little nervous though. ;) ::)

hillbilly

MO.'s laws and regulations look to be pretty similar to PA I think that they want you to have at least a [showfer] license to drive avehicle w/plates over 24000 so to put 26000lb on your truck and have a trailer rated at 10000and NOT ;DCARRY OVER  26001lbs you can be fairly safe.But then again it amazes me at the people here that only run 24000 or 18000 and pull 10000 goosenecks loaded to the max w/no fear .
hillbilly 

Ga_Boy

If this was easy; everybody would be doing it. ;)

10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

SawDust_Studios

Hmm.  Didn't know they changed anything and I'd be willing to be that most people around here don't.  Of course, the problem is still going from state to state. Especially where I am, only 20 miles from WV or MD. 

I like the KY rule.  Makes sense that you only need commercial licence if your making your money by hauling. 

Dave
Making Sawdust on a Woodmizer LT40SHD CAT 51 /WM Twin Blade Edger and WM DH Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!