iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trip to the flea market

Started by WV Sawmiller, April 10, 2016, 06:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Our large flea market opened last week with a good crowd so I decided to do a combo wood selling and advertising trip. Sawed a couple hundred bf of 4/4 ash and poplar 8' long to fit my trailer. Added 7-8 dozen tomato stakes, several bags of sawdust, threw in a couple of bent tree ash slabs, several live edge walnut slabs and a curved front cherry mantel. Topped it off with a few shim cuts and two bark on slabs in case anyone wanted me to save them some for deer blinds.

When I hooked up and pulled out it was 20 degrees. We had snow flurries all day yesterday. It was scheduled to and did warm up to around 60 or so this afternoon. I guess the cold weather chased folks off as few vendors and poor crowd.

Was a 20 mile trip each way, $15 set up fee, bought a $3 bag of pork rinds and sold a total of $3.50 worth of trim cuts. (This is beginning to sound like a government run operation isn't it?)

I did get to meet FF member Woodbutcher but we did not get to talk long before I got interrupted. I also passed out a couple dozen business cards, several price sheets and talked with several people who had questions about getting their logs sawed into lumber. I have hopes several will call back. It was good to talk with the folks. Several other people had sawmill experience and enjoyed talking with them.

Time will tell if the trip pays out. I was surprised I did not sell a few tomato stakes and a bag or two of sawdust. One lady wanted the whole load of wood but could not contact her husband as no cellphone service in the area. Gave the bark on slabs to a lady for craft work and thoroughly thrilled her husband in the process. Talked with one guy who makes artificial limbs for people in Central America for a benevolent association. He sounded like needed thick wood for make heels on artificial feet. He is supposed to send me more details and I may be able to cut and donate some wood he can use. We will see.

I will likely try again in a week or so when the weather improves.

Set up on site - wood items on display.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

drobertson

Heck of an idea, thanks for sharing,, I'd say this will pay back at some point for you, good idea,, bet those mater stakes will go as the weather warms up,, I saw a big trailer load coming back from Wis, last week, beefy things, nice conical tapered points,, headed south on I-39, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

kderby

This is beginning to sound like a government run operation isn't it?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I was Government, my Dad was Government and my wife is Government. 
I have a full grasp of the good and the bad of Government.
Notice: I quit and bought a sawmill.
Notice: My wife has a fulfilling career and provides our health insurance and steady income.

Public service is a real benefit, if it is in service to the public!

wvwoodbutcher

It was nice to meet you in person WV Sawmiller. It looked like you drew a pretty good crowd considering the turnout yesterday due to the temperature.
Hudson Oscar 36

4x4American

W(BG)V Sawmiller you have some real good idears you've posted here.  I tried your idea of printing out flyers from a previous thread.  And instead of hanging them in stores I've been ending up passing them out in addition to price sheets and biz cards.  I don't go into stores or go out to eat much, in fact pretty rarely, and I don't feel right about going into a store to hang an ad on their wall without buying something.  Anyways, another good idear!
Boy, back in my day..

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: wvwoodbutcher on April 11, 2016, 06:06:06 PM
It was nice to meet you in person WV Sawmiller. It looked like you drew a pretty good crowd considering the turnout yesterday due to the temperature.
WV WB,

For such a slack day they sure got busy when we tried to talk. Come see us any time you are over in Hinton and you can take the mill out for a spin. Always some thing laying around we can cut up.
Quote from: 4x4American on April 11, 2016, 07:41:03 PM
W(BG)V Sawmiller you have some real good idears you've posted here.  I tried your idea of printing out flyers from a previous thread.  And instead of hanging them in stores I've been ending up passing them out in addition to price sheets and biz cards.  I don't go into stores or go out to eat much, in fact pretty rarely, and I don't feel right about going into a store to hang an ad on their wall without buying something.  Anyways, another good idear!
4X4,

The places I put out my flyers are the regular businesses I visit. Its a small town and everybody knows everybody (or thinks they do) and my wife and I shop there regularly. They have community type bulletin boards for such ads. Like I said before it is real cheap advertising - 2 flyers per page on a regular sheet of letter size paper. People sometimes do take them down but then again maybe it is because they plan to call or maybe the staff there just periodically clear off anything they think has been there too long. I think I have them in our main grocery store, hardware store, feed store, local catch all/country stores, local sporting goods store, etc.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WV Sawmiller

Well, I got a call yesterday from someone who saw me there and I'll do a site visit. They have a bunch of ERC they want cut up and did not know where to start. Will likely go again this weekend and much better weather predicted and a larger crowd should be there.
Howard Green

Magicman

Your presence is good advertising. 

Back in my woodworking days I set up at our bi-annual flea market with a display of about 6-8 clocks.  At the end of the day I was in the dumps because I had not made any sales.  None.  Well in November the calls started coming in and it was a struggle to complete all of the clock orders before Christmas.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Beautiful weather so went back today. Tons more sellers and visitors. Had to set up in the back lot - not necessarily bad as next to the parking lot and closer to haul wood. Exponential increase in actual sales (Went from $3.50 last week to $32.50 today). Many more people came by and talked. Several were interested in my log benches and I am sure I will get some sales for them. Several were interested in the cherry mantel - seriously interested - and I am convinced it will sell. At the end of the day a guy came and said he is a local tomato farmer and had already bought his stakes this year but was interested in about 2,000 for next year. I assured him I can provide them. May have to buy or borrow my son's (I like that option) chop saw to cut angle on 2 sides for points. He sounded serious and I'd rate that as a 50/50 probability for next year sale. My redneck customer with the old hippy girlfriend stopped by. Pretty sure that job will materialize.

Had to stop typing to answer the phone. Another guy from today wants to build a shed so either I'll provide the lumber or if his logs are okay I will go cut them but a very likely job.

I won't set up regularly but may go again in a few weeks and also another at a drive in theater the opposite direction I will visit when they open in a few weeks. Looks like pretty good advertising.
Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

Well, I'll reopen this thread for another year. My son reminded me Saturday that the big local Flea Market opens this weekend so I came home and rushed up a load of lumber (75-80 bf each of Ash, Spruce and Poplar), a few dozen tomato stakes, a nice live edge 3" thick cherry mantel, a couple of walnut crotches about 3' X 23" X 2", 3 Walnut Cookies/donuts (all had hollow centers) 23" diameter X 2"  thick, and 2 styles of log benches. My luck held true and my ATV would not pull the trailer load of wood and slung mud over everything before I pulled it out with the tractor. I hosed everything down, which was not great for the wood but better than the mud, but it still made a mess.

Got up early yesterday morning, finished loading and strapped everything down and off to Pence Springs 19.5 miles away. Found a site, unloaded and started talking to people as they came by and passing out business cards. Several local current and former sawmillers stopped to talk and a couple of newbies stopped to ask me about bands and sawing issues. I sold a few dozen tomato stakes, all 3 walnut donuts, one walnut cookie (1st cut) I had been meaning to throw away, and one walnut slab. I passed along one Rite Leg referral to someone interested in making a bench out of a slab.

Like last year when I started these flea market sales visits, the sales hardly justified the the time and effort. In this case I actually did better than before although nothing earth shaking. Mostly this is advertising and I feel I have a good chance of getting a few future portable sawing jobs from the people I met.

I like meeting and talking with people so these outings are a lot of fun for me. I did see one large lady pass by wearing hip huggers who truly did not do them justice. I started to offer to give her my suspenders as she needed them much more than I did but I decided "If you can't make friends at least don't make enemies."

I will try a couple more trips to different flea markets as the time and weather conditions permit. The bad thing about most flea markets is I tend to buy more than I sell and selling cuts into my shopping time.
Howard Green

Just Right

Hip huggers are like yoga pants. . . . . . JUST BECAUSE THEY MAKE THEM YOUR SIZE. . . . .DOESN'T MEAN YOU NEED TO BE WEARING THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you are enjoying what you are doing,  is it still work?

WV Sawmiller

Just Right,

Not real sure what prompted your comment. I fear you saw someone at a Flea Market in "less than flattering attire" and you can't shake the memory from your mind. :D It happens. I still remember a very large lady in tight silver stretchy pants in Ohio who looked like she was wearing a sack full of cats or something when she walked. The Fashion Police were nowhere to be found. I still wake up in a cold sweat sometimes as a result of that sight. >:(

Anyway, with our rainy weather I have not made a trip to the flea market to sell although I have been shopping a few times. I will take a load in a few weeks when weather is right. A flea market trip with a load of benches, tomato stakes, and wood samples is more advertising for me than selling. I generally pick up a mobile job or two from it but often many months later. I like to talk and visit so I always make a few new friends in the process.

Howard Green

Just Right

WV. . . You are correct Sir.  It is forever burned in my retinas.  Sounds like the flea market is a way to go.  I will be retired in Jan 2019 and will have more time to do that kind of thing.  Atlanta has a Scott's Antique Market I am interested in giving a try.  Its only once a month so they get A LOT of traffic when they are in town.  
If you are enjoying what you are doing,  is it still work?

Brad_bb

So how many of those "promising" leads actually came through?  Did the tomato stake guy buy 2000? Did you do that ERC job?  Did you supply the shed material?  How did your perception of their seriousness compare with reality?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

WV Sawmiller

Brad,

I typically get 2-3 jobs after most initial Flea Market visits but maybe 1 on repeat visits to the same place.

The commercial tomato stake deal never happened although a co-worker of my son in the same area did order about 350 or so last year and I got a call yesterday for about 180 (15 dz) from a local trader paper ad. I deliberately cut my ash tops (10-12 inch dia) 10' long then cut them into 1" boards then rotate and cut into 1" strips and saw the strips in half at a 45* angle and get 2 stakes with each cut. Bundle into dz and tie with old hay strings. Sell for $10/dz or $2/bf. Others make fancier ones but have more time and equipment expenses involved.

Most of the people just talk which is fine as I am pretty gregarious (I find some folks like to use big words here on the forum to impress others :D). If anyone looks tired I invite them to sit down and test my benches and meet some nice people and flirt with the younger (Most all are younger at my age :() ladies and tell them I'll put them on commission if their presence helps sell any benches. Many people actually mean to cut some logs and  have me come saw them but forget or get side tracked or lose my card. 

The ERC job did not pan out yet. I do see the man most trips and we stop and talk about guns and such as he is a big gun enthusiast. The last time I saw the lady was when she was there selling a litter of PB pigs. The shed guy was a bust so far - some slight hope he may still come through as he still shows up.

Trips like these aren't for everyone but if you have the right personality they can be fun and productive. Don't go expecting immediate gain. If the right customer shows at the right time, especially if his wife likes what you have on display, you may completely sell out. I loved visiting open air markets in Africa and the MidEast and this is the closest thing we have to them. That's part of the appeal.
Howard Green

maple flats

Over the years I have been in about 4 shops with my maple syrup, one was fairly good and one is real good. The real good one is a second hand, crafts and antique shop with a locally produced food section. They are now in an old school house on a fairly steep hill and the have a hard time getting the landlord to maintain the driveway. This keeps traffic somewhat lower, especially in winter weather. That being said, I had a fantastic sales period from Sept-Dec. The shop emailed me as product needed to be restocked. Sometimes I had to restock 5 times in a month.
Now the shop is moving to a much larger building in a better location, and all on one floor instead of 2. This is where an old hardware store recently closed. No hills and easy to find and get to. That opens July 1. Sales should likely double in that location, maybe even better, time will tell. I may even try to peddle some air dried cherry I have, rough cut in 2004, stickered and covered with steel roofing. Some of the crafters might be interested.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

WV Sawmiller

Maple,

You talk about re-stocking 5 times in a month. Did that prompt you to increase to amount of syrup you left there? Its a crap shoot and you never know how much to leave and don't want to leave too much due to extra risk and you don't want to leave it where it won't sell but you don't want to run out. Of course no matter how much you stock you may have that special customer come in who is going to buy up all you have there - How many of us have done that and emptied the shelves in a store when we found something special? I wiped out our local grocery store's stock of grits when they finally stocked them. That is the customer we are all looking for. 
Howard Green

brianJ

:-\ :-\ ???    A very big NO.   Never trust a person that grab up all the grits they can even if they gots green backs.  :o :o

WV Sawmiller

Brian,

Think about your favorite food. Imagine you have not had it for a year or so then suddenly a miracle occurs and it lands on the shelf at your local market. Do you really think you are just going to walk past it? ;) I remember the same thing with Tortilla chips in a westernized grocery store in Cameroon in West Africa. You'd see the lady ahead of you at the check out counter pulling 3 shopping carts full of them. 

My favorite thing to see at a Flea market is for a lady to see one of my benches and tell her husband "That's the one I want." end of discussion. he can say he will build her one or such but it will not work. What she wants, she's gonna get. An if she wants all of them I might as well load them back on the trailer and follow them home to unload.
Howard Green

Magicman

Now that is catchy;  Greenbacks for Grits!!  ;D

Deal me in.  :)

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

Good move. You were probably holding a pair of deuces anyway and not a good bluffer. ;D  If the guy ahead of you speaks with highly cultured (I.e. Southern) accent don't try to outbid him on the grits.  :D
Howard Green

brianJ

@ WV   Can't understand what you talking about.  Its impossible to imagine grits as a favorite food.   In fact it is impossible to imagine grits as food.   

GAB

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on June 02, 2018, 01:11:11 PM
   Good move. You were probably holding a pair of deuces anyway and not a good bluffer. ;D  If the guy ahead of you speaks with highly cultured (I.e. Southern) accent don't try to outbid him on the grits.  :D
What would you do with two pairs?
A pair of red aces and a pair of black aces.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

WV Sawmiller

I'd have another helping of grits and raise the ante. :D
Howard Green

thecfarm

Raise it all you want. I will sit back and eat a burger,rare, Maybe a steak too. Rare too.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Slab kickers and grits bashers :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

I only bash grits as needed. I usually don't have to say the grit word. Seem like others are always trying to edge the grit word in and say how good grits are.  Kinda like ethanol gas. It's suppose to be good for ya and it's better.

Don_Papenburg

Them perdy ladies will help sell things .  We were selling sweetcorn hot outa the copper kettle at a show once . This young lady with short short shorts and a tight top bought an ear and while consuming it she was ecstatically exclaiming how good it was . and then guys were starting to gather , then they had to buy because  the perdy lady wanted another ear before her first one was consumed . Plus it is not polite to just stare ,If you buy some thing then you can stay and stare longer. and more guys showed up , more guys bought an ear of corn and one for their best girl . and the perdy lady bought another ear . and more guys showed up ,We were never so busy . then she wondered if she could buy a dozen to take home . Why yes , and the guys that wanted to observe also thought that would be a good idea.  We sold more corn in that half hour than most of the day. I told her to come back and the roasted ears would be free. My wife gave me the look.???
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

WV Sawmiller

Well, I will re-open and add to an old thread. I do these trips a couple times a year. My two local GDs went with me today. Their mom's sister set up next to me so they were able to visit with their aunt, uncle and 1st Cousin. Having them handy was good so I could step away for a few minutes from time to time. Here is my set up:

Took about a dozen benches (Oak, Locust, Maple, Walnut, Cherry and ash), tomato stakes, crib blocks, walnut cookies, 2" lath/project strips, crates, raised planter and bluebird boxes. Also took a box of photos for my wife.

Later I spread some of her pictures out to get more attention. I gave out business cards and talked to old and new friends.

Slow sales. I had a prototype unfinished ash bench I had a blacksmith add a couple of wrought iron bands. It did not take off like I hoped but a lady saw it and fell in love with it but I let it go at fire sale prices (but still more than I had offered it last year). I sold a couple dozen tomato stakes and took an order to make a couple of short RO LE benches with Lichtenburg engraving. I was going to cut a 4' slab in half but I decided to take a blank slabs, cut to 24" lengths, then have them engraved. One little girl bought a couple of small animal photos and another lady set aside about $130 of larger ones, went to find her husband for the money and never came back. 

My 12 y/o GD sold more stuff than me. ::) Started with 2 bear skulls, military stuff her dad left with her, a few toys, kitchen stuff, etc. She really likes to go to these things.

Usually I pick up a mobile sawing job a month or so after such a trip so we will see what the future results turnout to be.  super-smiley At least I got to spend some more quality time with the grandkids so it was already a good day.

I did see one family come by with a cute old English Bulldog puppy and 3-4 months old. I asked the little girl walking him "Do you know why bulldogs have flat noses?" She said no so I told her "Its because they chase parked cars." Her dad thought it was funny anyway.
Howard Green

farmfromkansas

I never thought much about the pretty girl sales, but my daughter was homecoming queen at our school, and one time I needed a part for the old car she was driving, and she said "give me the paper" I had written down what the car needed, and she went into Auto Zone, and came out with the part for free.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

WV Sawmiller

They didn't offer to install it for her? Them Kansas boys could take lessons from some hillbillies I know.

Flea market after effects continue. I built 2 LE benches 24" long and 20" tall for end tables and will take them back Sunday to the guy to engrave (Lichtenberg) them and a couple plan to come Saturday to buy a 12' walnut LE slab to make a bar on their deck.
Howard Green

Sixacresand

Good advice from Member WDH, Make a few slabs, benches short enough to fit in a lady's SUV.  It worked for me.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

WV Sawmiller

Unless a special order or anything I do not plan on my making any more benches over 3' long. The last I made were 3 from an 8' maple and 3 24" ones from a 6' RO slab. Of course a specific slab might tell me to do otherwise.
Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

Still paying off. A couple came today and bought a couple hundred dollars worth of walnut. They came last week looking for a live edge slab to make an outdoor bar on their deck. They saw my benches and asked if I also sold slabs. The lady found a 14' LE Walnut 8/4 slab a little over a foot wide. She plans to attach it to their deck. She decided she probably needed to add some legs so she bought a couple of 3X3s I had in stock. The lady was as excited as a kid in a candy store. I showed her a finished BW bench w/tung oil finish. I even threw in a cup or so of tung oil in a near empty bottle. I added a little from a new gallon jug. Customers like them are the reason I enjoy this kind of work.

Now I have 3 small RO benches/tables to take to the market tomorrow to have a contact do lichtenburg engraving on them. Two are a custom order from last week and the 3rd was what was left of the 6' slab. I have another customer from the FM meeting playing phone tag with me so hopefully more sales are coming.
Howard Green

maple flats

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on June 02, 2018, 09:53:16 AM
Maple,

You talk about re-stocking 5 times in a month. Did that prompt you to increase to amount of syrup you left there? Its a crap shoot and you never know how much to leave and don't want to leave too much due to extra risk and you don't want to leave it where it won't sell but you don't want to run out. Of course no matter how much you stock you may have that special customer come in who is going to buy up all you have there - How many of us have done that and emptied the shelves in a store when we found something special? I wiped out our local grocery store's stock of grits when they finally stocked them. That is the customer we are all looking for.
Just replying to an old question, and an update. I only was allotted 1 shelf and I filled that shelf every time I went to restock.
Update, In July 2018 that shop moved to a far more accessible location, from an old 1 room school house, to a recently closed home center building (put out of business by Lowe's, couldn't compete).
This new location has proved to be a Godsend. The first month they were open my sales exceeded my best ever previous month by more than 2x. I also got more space, and the owners run the business well. That next Christmas, sales for November and then December again exceeded any previous month. This trend continues, even into 2020. In fact my 5th best ever month was April 2020. In previous years April has been fairly slow, but with so many working from home because of Covid 19, it seems they were now doing breakfast at home instead of at a diner or drive thru quick serve. Nov 2020 has thus far been my best ever month for syrup sales at that location, and December looks to be real good too, except I'm almost out of syrup. The last time I stocked the shelves I filled them completely, but was displaying fewer choices. In most sizes I had run out of Golden and Amber. Dark (my best seller) filled the otherwise empty slots. While most prefer Dark some want the lighter grades. My month end sales may slip as a result.
Going back to when I said I restocked 5x a month, that was when I got less shelf space. Now, in average off season months I only need to restock once a month, this year, starting in Nov, 2x and Dec will be 2x. I now have 8' of deep shelf space at chest high level and 8' of bottom shelf for backup stock, fully displayed.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

WV Sawmiller

@maple flats ,

I appreciate the update and am glad to read this has been working out for you. I like the observation/opinion that the virus keeping more people home and eating breakfast together has been a boon for your business. Maybe you should post this info over in the sister thread about how the virus has impacted your business if you have not already done so. (Or maybe it is already there and I just missed it.) It is good info to share with others who might want to make adjustments accordingly to their operations. :)
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!