iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drawer finishing question

Started by Dan_Shade, September 27, 2020, 10:30:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

I've been making some inset drawers, does anyone know where the finish stops?  

Is the traditional approach just the face? 

The top of the front board? 

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

btulloh

Usually the entire front gets the full finish.  The rest only gets sealed with something. I like shellac for sealing the secondary parts. Could also use a thin coat of wipe on poly. 

In the old days, the front got a full finish and the rest was left raw. Personal preference really. You just usually don't want some sort of film finish on the secondary parts. 

What are you using for primary and secondary woods?
HM126

firefighter ontheside

I have only ever finished the drawer front. 
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Dan_Shade

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Dan_Shade

I posted a few pictures to add to the discussion.... 

btulloh

All the walnut - top bottom, front, sides. And the BACK of the drawer front. A little finish line along the dovetails won't hurt anything. 

It's easy to get caught up worrying about the parts that aren't normally seen when you're the one building it. Make opportunities to look at other people's work. Fine furniture and fine antiques. Not factory stuff and second hand stores. Get an idea of what's being done by others. 

Fine antiques will still have a scribe line across the tails. Not considered a defect at all. A sign of craftsmanship.  Non visible parts have little or no finish.  

I can't really tell from the photos but you may need a little more reveal all around or run the risk of sticky drawers. (And we all know how uncomfortable that can be!   lol ) A little step on the bottom of the front allows the drawer to sit correctly and still show equal reveal on all four sides. Inset drawers and doors are the hardest of all to get all the visual elements to look right. Cock bead is used a lot of times for visual appeal, shadow lines, and to help the whole process on insets. 

Nice work on the drawers and all. That's gonna really look great when the  finish goes on. 
HM126

Dan_Shade

Thanks for the tips, it's white oak and poplar. 

The drawers fit tight, I went for a "piston fit". 

Pretty fancy for a shop cabinet:  these types of projects help me improve skills and try new things.

btulloh

Yeah, that is a fancy shop cabinet for sure. I get the concept though. Nice when you can spend time on shop cabinets. 

I'll be curious to see how those pistons perform over time. I'd go with a good 5W-20 synthetic oil to keep the engine running smoothly.  :D

HM126

btulloh

Given that they're shop cabinets and a learning process you could try adding a cock bead to a couple just to get a good idea what that does for the visual appeal. Just a thought.
HM126

btulloh

You may want to take a trip down to Colonial Williamsburg and visit the cabinet shop some weekend. Great craftsmanship there using period tools.  Very informative and not too far from you. Probably after things are back to normal.  Really nice around Christmas, although any time is good. 
HM126

Magicman

I always finished the top, sides, & inside of the drawers.  The bottom & back of the drawers as well as all of the cabinet interior got sealed. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Texas Ranger

Quote from: Magicman on September 27, 2020, 08:21:10 PM
I always finished the top, sides, & inside of the drawers.  The bottom & back of the drawers as well as all of the cabinet interior got sealed.
X2
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

kantuckid

I use on the drawer parts, other than the front, either one coat of wipe-on Poly finish(WATCO bought in quantity on Amazon from KS Hdwe seller) or WATCO Danish oil.
My logic is that cabinet parts benefit from at least a sealer coat. It is wood after all...
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

purple otter

Hey Dan, I recently built a dresser with white oak drawer faces dovetailed into ash drawers. I sealed everything but the face and top , so that I could stain the face and top without danger of getting stain on the ash. The end grain oak darkens enough with just sealer for some nice contrast. Nice job on the build by the way!
Hudson Oscar 228 on homebuilt trailer, Kubota B2320 with homebuilt forks,Stihl 028 Super & 029 Super, Solar Kiln .

kantuckid

WATCI Danish oil pops out wood colors well and can be top coated with Poly wipe Watco or Minwax brands. Walnut in particular shows off grain & color via Danish oil while poly wipe is reasonable costs, easily applied and provides more protection on parts that get the human touch like a drawer face does. 
I use this same combo on my wormy chestnut furniture to great effect.  

ADreamer

I've always finished the entire drawer. Wood, being a hygroscopic material, is really good at absorbing water creating changes in the wood that can alter the fit of the drawer. A fully finished drawer will be protected more from seasonal changes. Finish will also make the drawer easier to clean and keep clean. 

I'm a long-time user of Deft Lacquer which I spray on using HPLV sprayer. 

You can make your own tradition. 

trimguy

Dan_Shade

I ended up finishing the front, waxing the runners. 

I'll see how it goes. 

kantuckid

Beautiful work!
I've seen Deft not last well on items made by others, so not my choice, I like Watco Danish for most hardwoods too much to ever change other than covering it with Poly wipe when a durable surface in a kitchen or dining item. 
I suppose most of the furniture industry uses water borne finishes now? EPA driven as it were. 

Dan_Shade

My understanding is that deft lacquer is pretty soft. 

If you want something hard, a catalyzed lacquer is probably the best option 

Texas Ranger

Quote from: Dan_Shade on October 06, 2020, 10:48:59 AM

you are correct, sir.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

dougtrr2

Quote from: Dan_Shade on October 06, 2020, 10:48:59 AM

I can't speak to the hardness of Deft lacquer.  I use Sherwin Williams Moisture Resistant Lacquer. It comes in two versions, catalyzed and non-catalyzed.  I  prefer non-catalyzed version because of the shelf life.  I was sold some catalyzed lacquer once and I didn't really notice any difference.  I am a small user and sometimes it can take over a year to go through a gallon, hence the reluctance to use the catalyzed with a 6 month "use by date."
Doug in SW IA

Thank You Sponsors!