iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tinting boiled linseed oil

Started by DWM II, December 29, 2009, 05:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DWM II

Is there a compatible stain that can be mixed with linseed oil? I am cutting a timber frame for myself using SYP and would like to darken the timbers a bit more than the BLSO does on its own. I am not wanting to hide the grain, just darken a bit more. I am completely ignorant on finishes so any and all suggestions are much appreciated. Ill work on getting some pics up, thanks yall and have a happy new year!
Stewardship Counts!

WDH

I do not know the answer to your question, but I would think that you could stain the wood with an oil stain first and let it dry before applying the BLO.  However, that is another step that you would have to take.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Radar67

I used to mix mineral spirits and non fibered roof tar to make stain. Something like a quart of spirits to a teaspoon of tar. It made a nice shade of brown stain. You could try a small amount with the oil if it would dissolve it.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

SwampDonkey

I don't know the answer either, but you could go to your paint store and have them try a dye in it with a sample of your Linseed oil. As WDH said, you could stain first before using the Linseed. Usually, you thin the linseed with turpentine if you want penetration, 50/50 mix with 3 applications that is wiped down after 5 minutes, followed up by two coats of the pure linseed also wiped down after 5 minutes. 24 hours between all coats. Linseed tends to darken the wood on it's own if you get good penetration with those first coats. If you don't wipe each linseed coat down, your going to have a sticky surface. I did one of my serving trays with above method and didn't have to sand between coats. Was smooth as skin after done and not sticky. Doesn't seem to make the grain stand up to make it rough textured like water does.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DWM II

That sounds like some good direction, Ive got some sampling to do to see what will work best. I like the roof tar idea, sounds economical for alot of staining.
Stewardship Counts!

tomsteve

as long as the stain is oil based, you can use anyone of em. you can stain prior to using the BLO. or mix up the stain w/ the BLO. i usually use a 50/50 mixture of m.s. and BLO as it helps the BLo soak into the wood deeper, and if i use stain in the mixture, it gives a deeper look to the wood.
   of course, a clear topcoat will hightlight what the BLO did a lot.
    since you are lookin to just get a little darker than the BLO alone, i would think a fruitwod or maple stain mixed in would help do the job. most hardware stores carrying stains have a sample board with what each shade looks like applied to pine and oak.

DWM II

How about trying to combine a borate with a linseed oil mixture? Has anyone tried this or is it possible?
Stewardship Counts!

Jasperfield

Incidentally...

Be mindful about the spontaneous combustion properties of rags, towels, and so forth used with boiled linseed oil.  Not on the material you are staining, but on the rags, etc., used to apply it.

I'm certainly no safety guru, but I know what this stuff will do.

After completing an application session let the rags dry outside on a non-flammable surface. Don't just pile them up or leave them laying around anywhere inside.

fuzzybear

I don't know if this will help you or not, but, I used cranberries to tint BLO to a slight tint of red.  Use a lot and it becomes brighter. Also used blueberries to give it a blue tint, and dandylion for a yellow tint. The color doesn't fade out. And you can control the hues by adding more or less.
I'm not sure what color your looking for. You can find most any color in "food" dyes.
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

tomsteve

Quote from: fuzzybear on December 31, 2009, 04:56:35 AM
I don't know if this will help you or not, but, I used cranberries to tint BLO to a slight tint of red.  Use a lot and it becomes brighter. Also used blueberries to give it a blue tint, and dandylion for a yellow tint. The color doesn't fade out. And you can control the hues by adding more or less.
I'm not sure what color your looking for. You can find most any color in "food" dyes.

now that's environmentally friendly all natural ingredients.  i do have to ask about the food dyes, tho. arent food dyes water based and would they mix in with the BLO??

fuzzybear

By "food" Dyes I actually mean real food.  The tint in milk paint was made using only natural products. Rose hips, berries, flowers, even grass, was used to tint the paint.
I have used most of these to tint BLO and other stains. They can be made into a base stain with small amounts of oil. Apply to get the desired tint in the wood. Then a traditional coating of oil applied over top.
   Berries are my favorite to use, as I live in the middle of low bush cranberry and wild strawberry fields.  When we make our jellies and jams  I always save stock from this to use for paints and stains. 
   These also work great in paint.
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

ljmathias

So, Donnie, you finally getting around to building a timber frame?  Love to see it in process.

Another option is to stain and preserve all at once- store bought stuff is available.  I used Woodguard (google it- several sources) that comes in just about any desired color you could want.  Oil based so you can top coat if you want.  I'm using it on SYP siding for exterior protection- turns my "denim" pine into something with a cypress look.  Messy as all get out since it takes days to "cure," so the only way to use it if you have my level of patience is to buy some good nitrile rubber gloves to handle it wet.  I've been cutting at need with the sawmill- allows me to tailor lengths for various sections of exterior wall up to 20'; anything longer than that I can't lift by myself anyway so I have to piece it together; then coating once, screwing in place immediately and re-coating after it "cures."  Doing lapsiding on the bottom and B&B on the top of the gable ends- everyone here thinks it looks great!  But then, we're from Mississippi... oh, wait, aren't we the ones that are so thankful for Louisiana being in the US- doesn't make us look quite so bad?  Oh, wait, isn't Louisiana the number 1 state on the "happiness" scale for the US?  Bite my tongue and eat my words!

I think it would look fine on the inside too but I don't know about environmental affects for interior use- need to check on that, if you might use it.  It isn't cheap though, but then, if you spend as much time and effort building a TF, why not make sure it will last for generations?

Anyway, good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

DWM II

Yeah LJ, I finally got started. I had Jim work me up a simple three bent, two bay frame, the house will be a hybrid. I have one bent cut and am in the process of fitting braces and checking for square. Be on the look out in the timber frame forum for a blog type post, Ive been taking a few pics.
Stewardship Counts!

ljmathias

Don't be shy asking for help- cutting and raising, there are enough of us close by to come over and chip in... course, that might require some good cajun cooking to keep our energy up.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Thank You Sponsors!