iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyboy used these gutters?

Started by bmill, January 28, 2008, 10:01:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmill

If I am breaking forum rules posting this web site, then by all means remove this post.  I have an old farm house that I need new gutters on. The house is bombarded with oak leaves and it's a two story. I've been looking for something different  than conventional gutters. I live in Iowa so we get everything from pouring rain to ice and snow.
  These look interesting, I'm hoping somebody out here may have used these and could provide some feedback.

http://www.rainhandler.com
1 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 5 - 8 - 13 - 21 - 34 - 55 - 89 - 144 - 233 - 377 - 610 - 987 - 1597 - 2584    Kubota L3400, Loader, Backhoe, 3 point tiller, Stihl MS 390, Very hard working wife!

rebocardo

I would be more inclined to go with a black plastic mesh.

Don_Papenburg

Look into  Classic Gutters  .    Half round gutters sort of self cleaning because the bottom is small so a little water washes th gutter . Also no flat spots for junk to pile up.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

CHARLIE

I tried using the mesh wire several years ago when I was living in a home surrounded by maple trees.  The seeds and leaves would stick into the mesh.  I took it down.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Homer

Rebill.   Did you check out their web site? It appears you remove existing gutters and put on their system which makes roof run off sPLASH out 4" from facia. I would need a lot more talking to customers and seeing for my self. Co. is from Ct. and I live their, didn't see any address.If you think I could help, please email me. To add,I have many maple trees in my yard and they are a pain. Tried black plastic mesh, hole size to big. Lets the helicopters thru or jam, worse than nothing.Have tried a 3' long aluminum strip that goes under shingle/top of drip edge, has slots or {don't remember], It works pretty good. from home depot. A company here tried to sell me a stainless steel mesh on alu. frame. Mesh so fine, water wouldn't flow thru.Expensive and pushy. asked for ref's, never got any. Lastly,From an ace hardware store I got an alu.punched out screen, 1/8 horz x 1/16 vert. 25' rool/6.00$ I'am evaluating since Oct. 07

Homer Ps. kinda wordy for me!

Faron

That system would still put more water close to  your  foundation or basement than I would like.  Have you looked into something like this?  I don't have it on my house, but I have heard some good things about it.

http://www.gutterhelmetprotects.com/gutterhelmetprotects/index.cfm?ctid=21&cpid=3&ac=yes

I think there are other products that are similiar.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Handy Andy

there's been an ad running on the radio for these gutter covers, is that what the mesh is?  Anyway it says they keep the leaves from filling up your gutters.  Jim
My name's Jim, I like wood.

scsmith42

Bmill - I bought some Rainhandlers a few years ago to try out on a horse barn.  My impression of them was that they were flimsy, and expensive.

They have been maintenance free though.

I would not purchase them again.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

mike_van

I don't think any one product is the answer, despite all the ads & claims by the mfgs. Every fall, after all the leaves are off, I clean all the gutters, both houses & the barns that have them. Takes about a half day but it's done.  If they happen to be dry at the time, the Homelite leaf blower gets a lot of them, full of wet leaves, I just pull 'em all out by hand. I can reach about 8', then move the ladder.  One of those stand-off things on the ladder helps, keeps you out from under the eave.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Lud

Before we came to the farm a Y had blocked and led to a jam and led to a sill rotting. 

I never forgot it over the years so when I rehung gutters,  I eliminated the downcomers and just had 4 foot or so sticking out into the air.  Water cascades down and digs a bit of a hole (making your own french drain, so to speak,and you fill it in with 57 gravel and the water is a good way from the building (no offense,  Marcel, what do they call them in Canada?)).

I've been underwhelmed with the black mesh but it's still up there.  I use the electric leaf blower to blow out the gutters where I can.
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Thank You Sponsors!