iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lemons and Lemonade

Started by warren46, September 01, 2015, 10:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

warren46

My daughter and sister in law visited from Illinois. When they got back home they discovered that someone had but my wife's camera backpack in the car and it was in Illinois, not our family room in North Carolina.  Now my wife is very attached to her camera.  Every time I buy a new tool for my shop, she gets a new lens, flash or other piece of camera gear.  As a result the cost to ship and insure the contents of the backpack would exceed $200.00.

It happens that a relative was planning a trip to Sevierville, TN last Friday.  We made arrangements to meet them and save the cost of shipping and insurance.  That is the lemon part.

Now for the lemonade.

We stayed the night in a hotel in Pigeon Forge and came home through the Great Smokey National Park.  We stopped at a historic grist mill - Mingus Mill.  We spent a couple of hours exploring and taking pictures.  It turned into a memorable mini vacation.

I have added a few of the pics we took to this post and there are several more in my gallery in the folder "Mingus Mill."

This last picture is the penstock made of lapped white oak planks.  These planks have been in service for about 20 years. A testament to the durability of this domestic hardwood.
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

Magicman

That is a nice stop.  If you had looked down, you probably would have seen my footprints.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

Quote from: Magicman on September 01, 2015, 10:18:39 PM
That is a nice stop.  If you had looked down, you probably would have seen my footprints.  :)

Mine too ;)
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

mesquite buckeye

Cool.  ;D

I would have left footprints but couldn't get the kids to stop. :'(
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Roxie

Beautiful pictures!  Thank you for posting them, from those of us who can only dream of leaving a footprint.   :)
Say when

lowpolyjoe

drobertson

That's some tasty lemonade!  I would say that was a good thing. I love that part of the country,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

BenTN

nice pictures.

did you grab a sack of meal while you were there? could have some cornbread with that lemondade

warren46

Quote from: BenTN on September 02, 2015, 02:01:31 PM
nice pictures.

did you grab a sack of meal while you were there? could have some cornbread with that lemondade

The corn meal they sell at the mill is not ground there.  The FDA does not permit the sale of the meal the grind at the site for human consumption.  They feed the meal they grind at the site to horses at the stable across the road.

Do you feel protected?
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

BenTN

Quote from: warren46 link=topic=85397.msg1307165#msg1307165 date=1
/quote]

Do you feel protected?

I do. If I didn't have a government agency telling when where and how, I am afraid I would just walk off a cliff eating a rat turd sammich. Pfffffft......

Not that these agencies don't do some good work tho.

I still like cornbread......

Thank You Sponsors!