iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Belsaw pulley size

Started by Joe Lallande, August 28, 2009, 06:28:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Lallande

I gave up trying to find a new flat belt drive pulley so I am converting my Belsaw to V- belt system.  My local sawmill has provided me with a 9" drive and a 24" mandrel pulley with C type belts. The orginial flat belt pulley was 20" on the mandrel shaft.  To reach 540 RPM my diesel engine ran around 1300 RPM.  With the 24" pulley I will have to run around 1440 RPM.  I have plenty of RPM left. Any comments?  Thank you.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Sounds Like the go Mate diesel motor should have no dramas mite even have a bit more tourqe depending on the power band  ;) what sort of motor are you using to power the mill ?

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

ladylake

It would have more torque to the blade due to the lower gearing unless the diesels torque drops off a lot between 1300 to 1440 RPM which is not likely. Quite a few older diesels had peak torque around 15 to 16 hundred RPM.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

apm

Hi Joe,

I guess my only question would be how to get it turning in the right direction. Typical power units turn the wrong direction for a Belsaw. It's common with flat belts to be able to twist them to reverse direction, but I've only seen it once with vee belts, and that was here on the forum about a week ago, by Sprucegum. Maybe your power unit turns the non traditional direction?

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

Bruce_A

Set up 90 degrees to the armature and twist the belts to the desireddirection.

bandmiller2

Joe,it will probibly work better.How many "C" section belts are you going to use.If you have to buy them new it will be cheaper to find a flat pulley.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

apm

Quote from: Bruce_A on August 28, 2009, 06:43:52 PM

Hi Bruce,
I don't understand what you're saying, could you explain a little?

Thanks,
Greg
Timberking 1600 now

Meadows Miller

Gday

Joe you coild also put a longer shaft ext with a couple of bearings on the motor the goes under the mill an have the motor on the on the opperators side mate  ;) ;D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Joe Lallande

Yes, I plan to install a cross shaft under the mill frame with pillow block bearings.  This will put my power plant on the same side of the mill as the operator.  I have a 1 1/2" shaft from another project, however,  I am looking for a 2" shaft? My 24" mandrel pulley is a three belt C-type. Power is a 60 HP Oliver Super 88 with Rockford PTO.  High RPM is 1750 and loaded is 1600.

ladylake

I think your going to see a good improvement in cutting speed with your new setup.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Ron R.

Joe, Post some pics of the set-up when you get it done. I'd like to see how you set it up. I'm thinking on the same line for my mill as I am now pulling it with a 3020 J.D. but would like to set up a power unit on operator side. Best of luck with your mill..............................................Ron R.

bandmiller2

Joe,most Belsaws were set up to turn 540 because thats PTO speed,and rather low for that diameter headsaw.The 44" blade I'm spinning now was hammered for 540 but is real happy at 600.You will get more HP from ole ollie running a little faster.Joe unless you have help on the mill you will have to walk around that engine to get to the offbearers side,that is one big advantage of a Belsaw the power is out of the way.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Joe Lallande

Yes, the new location of the power plant is close to the mill and I will have to cover the pulley and belts with something to keep them clean.  I believe I could run the new cross shaft with a drive shaft also and end up with some room to pull the slabs off.  My power plant sits low on a steel sled frame.

Bruce_A

Quote from: apm on August 29, 2009, 09:53:16 AM
Quote from: Bruce_A on August 28, 2009, 06:43:52 PM

Hi Bruce,
I don't understand what you're saying, could you explain a little?

Thanks,
Greg

Greg, turn the power plant 90 degrees to the saw shaft(above or below) and twist the belt so the saw turns in the desired direction.  A quarter turn to the right will turn one way or a quarter turn to the left will turn the other. 

apm

Thanks, Bruce. I'm still having a little trouble visualizing that for a multi-belt application. Seems like if you had four belts they'd need to be different lengths to all remain tight? I'm feeling a little dense today.

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

sgschwend

Mount the drive pulley on the front of the engine, the direction will then be reversed.

Or

Use two equal size gears on an idler shaft. Or unequal if you want to shift your engine rpm.

Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

Bruce_A

If you center one pulley over the other, the twist will work the same for one or more belts.  Swith to hydraulic drive and save the hassle.  Put the powerplant where you want it and run two lines.  That is just the start.

Thank You Sponsors!