iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

start new job monday

Started by bigred1951, January 06, 2013, 01:02:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigred1951

well after being unemployed since last feb i been working off jobs here and there and a few months ago i put in at the prison in west liberty. so finally got called back and i have orientation on monday at 8am. Im excited but nervous about it i know i have to go through so many weeks of training and get pepper sprayed, tazed and no telling what else but the job is worth it. Good pay, great benefits and if i stick with it i can retire in 25 years. Hopefully in a year or so i can have enough money put back to buy me a mill of my own. Ive had my eyes on getting an ez boardwalk when money allows. So wish me luck 8)

beenthere

Congrats, and do wish you luck. You've found the best way to enter.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WH_Conley

I have worked with the prisoners before. The big trick is to be the same with them everyday. They respect that more than anything. If they respect you, no problem. Don't cut no slack, just don't change your status.

You may even have some of my old carpentry students there.
Bill

fat olde elf

Good luck with your new job. Good advice already given. Never forget they are not there for eating too much ice cream. I retired from the NC Department of Corrections 11 years ago.  I still have contact with staff that I worked with then. My inmates were all chronically mentally ill, not faking.. I did hortitherapy with 2 greenhouses, eight inmates in a class.  Best job I ever had.
Acually hated to leave but the deal was too good to pass up.  I bought my Cooks MP32 a year later. Go figure.  Happy New Year.
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

bigred1951

thanks guys im really looking forward to it and pretty excited.. but not to happy about having to get up at 6am in the morning.. i am far from a morning person.. i like getting up at the crack of noon or so :D

customsawyer

Congrats on the new job. Getting up early will become normal after a while. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Chris Burchfield

Congratulations on the new job.  Don't worry about that getting up @ 0600.  After your 25 years and retired you'll think "Ah, able to sleep late."  I retired end of April 2007 and still wake up between 05:00 & 06:00 without an alarm clock.  Had to be there @ 07:00 for the shift work and 08:00 when I took up the office job.  Just dang's me why I can't sleep late now.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Bigred, if you have your eye on a mill, remember it. It may not look the same after Pepper Spray.  :D

Wishing you all the best with your new job and got my fingers crossed you get a sawmill.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Congrats on the job.  Early is only proportional to how late you go to bed.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bigred1951

im gonna try to get 3rd shift because im a night owl and usually go to bed really late at night anyways. i would rather have 2nd shift but 3rd would be easier work because they all be asleep haha.. im hoping in a year or so i have enough saved up to buy a ez boardwalk bandmill since they are not to exspensive and if i need to i can always borrow money on credit. I want to use it first to build me a home and a few projects then maybe do some custom stuff later on

terrifictimbersllc

Congratulations and wishing you the best.  Having work is such a good thing.  Sawyers can appreciate this as much as anyone.  8) 8) 8)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Delawhere Jack

Can you request to get tazed and peppersprayed at the same time? Ya know, get it over with all at once.  :D :D

Good luck in your new job.

thecfarm

Train you on days,than send you to nights???? I use to work in a factory,only a few wanted to work nights. Good luck with your new job.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bigred1951

no training is during the day from 8am to 4pm i believe and ill have about 6 or 8 weeks of training before i actually start work..but im gonna try to be night shift when i start working. go in at midnight and get off at 8 am..over time i can choose to have it as ot pay or have the hours go to time off. what do you guys think

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: bigred1951 on January 06, 2013, 05:54:58 PM
no training is during the day from 8am to 4pm i believe and ill have about 6 or 8 weeks of training before i actually start work..but im gonna try to be night shift when i start working. go in at midnight and get off at 8 am..over time i can choose to have it as ot pay or have the hours go to time off. what do you guys think

Can you do half and half? If not, the $$$.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

I like time off,IF I could afford it. I like being home.Years ago when things was slow at work they would ask for volunteers to go home. I could not get into my truck quick enough. But than the last few years of it,things are so high,I had to stay and work.  :( Just depends if you can afford it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

samandothers

Congrats on the new job!  Good to get paid and then after expenses you can save to buy some toys!

Be safe.

jueston

dont worry to much about the pepper spray or the tazer, i've experianced both along with riot gas, its horrible, but then its over and you will feel extra tough for having experianced it.  :D

Peter Drouin

good luck on the job, but at 12 midnight is when all the drunks get arrested for all kinds of things DWI for one,and they all like to fight :D :D :D have fun
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

beenthere

The arrested drunks likely end up in jail rather than in the KY prison at West Liberty.  ;)

At least until they are sober.  :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bigred1951

well im up and at it :( still got put my pants on and get ready though ;D 6am is to early for anybody to be up haha

dgdrls

Have a great first day.

DGDrls

Meadows Miller

Gday Mate

Congrats on the new job wages are a handy thing to be on when you want to build yourself a home  and I know how you feel as a night owl but you get into a rythum after a while I am realy happy for you Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Leigh Family Farm

Two cents on the topic...

Getting sprayed with OC is not fun. After effects stay around a while. Wash all your clothes and shower while leaning forward. Trust me on this, because if you don't you will reignite all the oils in the spray but it will run down your chest to your nether regions. Talk about some serious pain the day after you get sprayed.

Tasers only last for five seconds. They hurt like the dickens but its over in 15 seconds. I'll take a taser over OC any day.

Don't count OT pay in your living expenses. I had a few friends that based their living off of what they made plus OT and then the OT was cut. Many couldn't make their monthly bills anymore because OT was 1/3 of their take home. I would take 10 hours a week in OT and the rest in comp time. Starting out your vacation days will be small so the comp time will ocme in handy.

Treat everyone fairly on the inside. Your days will go a whole lot easier. Good luck.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

bigred1951

well so far so good. i like it pretty well but dont start actual training till next week but im guessing we suppose to get OC sprayed tomorrow is what they saying.. not looking forward to that but oh well

Thank You Sponsors!