iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

skidder

Started by ehp, August 25, 2019, 10:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehp

well leaving in morning to go look at another skidder, been looking for a while and 1 just came up so we will see . About 6 hour drive so by midnight or so we will know if I had a weak moment and spent more money ;D

dnash

What kind of machine are you looking for?
JD 440C
JD 640D
Timberjack 205HR
JD 329E skidsteer
JD CT322 skidsteer

ehp

well I pasted on both, first went to see a 240B jack, in pictures it looked real nice but good picture taking ;D,not so nice in person, next was a 380B with clark winch , everything worked but she has had a lot of hours on her

ehp

my skidder works fine but Im going to put some cash back into her, going to have center section in frame line bored and put everything new back in , its got play in it now and I hate anything I feel is wrong . My clutch is feeling like its getting weak so time to put a new clutch in, I have had this machine 9 years now and have spent very little money of her , so when I pull motor to put new clutch in I'm sure cause I know me a new crate motor will be going back in

ehp

what do I want in a skidder, well that's a loaded question. I do not want huge cause by-law would send it out of the bush. I sure would like heat and a/c , that sure would be nice . I have never been around something like a TJ 360 , sure jd540/548 in green is nice but that price their asking for them is CRAZY in my mind . I liked the clark 666 with 5.9 cummins . they were a very good dependable machine . Im thinking there has to be skidders coming up for sale in the USA with the log market not so good but to find a good skidder that the owner took care of seems harder to find than I thought
 the 240B I looked at yesterday the next guy paid $2,000 more than asking price . I walked around that machine for about a hour checking it over and at low end I felt I would spend $20,000 to get it up to woods ready for me so $20,000 plus asking price put machine way to high for a machine that had way to many unknown things about it for me

Riwaka

Is there an online rulebook anywhere where the skidder size/ weight rules have been written?

I would wonder if a situation might develop where you can find newer ag tractors (with a better power to weight ratio, better fuel economy, etc) or tracked machines that can be converted to a forestry spec than continue with a 30 year or more old skidder?

Your example with the old skidder for sale above, purchasers paying above the asking price for a 'dwindling? supply of 'good' condition used skidders? Look for alternatives like a tracked industrial machine, lower ground pressure than a skidder? (put a hydraulic winch, a crane and mini clam bunk set up etc) modern heated cab.

Prinoth Panther T8 Skidder low ground pressure - YouTube

Firewoodjoe

Every time I think about buying a newer skidder I think about initial cost, operating cost, and repair cost. Newer equipment has much more expensive parts and it could be a lemon. I know my machine and know where to buy parts. That being said I to will buy a newer machine someday but keep my old one u till I can learn and rely on the new one. Good luck. And I would t say log markets are bad. Oak is down but white wood led seem to be holding on. Every mill needs more.

mills

Know what you mean. My old 518 is still pulling wood,but is getting worn out. I finally made the move last week and bought a 525B CAT. Little rougher shape than I wanted, but the money was right. Been looking for two years, but really got serious this spring. Thing is forestry equipment is not moving. I'm still seeing the same skidders for sale that where listed last winter... and they're still over priced. I know these guys are needing the money they're asking, but right now the timber market doesn't support it.

Firewoodjoe

Around here the markets are strong. But the loggers wanting older used equipment aren't out there any more. They all want 2-5 years old and low hours. And single bunks forwarders and small grapple cable machines just aren't the majority any more. Big double bunks are king around here.

ehp

other problem here is our dollar sucks so a lot of our machines are being bought by people from over seas , that 240B went to Russia and bought without anybody looking at it , just transfer the money to his bank account . Engine had a ton of blow-by and oil/water mix coming out of the blow by tube , winch had the lever on top that operates it broken cause valve was seized, blade bearing were gone on both sides, upper pin in frame center section was loose and beat the tapered part out of the frame , lots of other things so I said not for this old guy

ehp

ya by-law is pretty touchy here , I see no way a forwarder will ever work here , you do not drive to the tree here that is why no grapples here either , just way to many trees standing in the road you cannot touch so long cable .

Ed_K

How much longer before the epa tells us "you can't use that skidder till a tier 5 motor is in it" ?
Ed K

Skeans1

@Ed_K 
EPA? Try the states, Oregon has been trying to do that this year the day is coming the older still good running equipment will leave this country for good.

ehp

I would think we would not have to deal with those laws around here , we got backwards here, small skidders and bigger trees , up north small trees and huge skidders

ehp

ya I talked to a couple dealers and they pretty much are bought out of any good skidders , there all going over seas , Good green 230 and 240 are gone in a flash

Maine logger88

602 tigercat looks like it would be a nice machine but i don't think I'd want to have to make the payments. Guess that's why I always buy old twice worn out junk and try to make it nice which is a frustrating way to go lol. Your 230 is one of the last ones isn't it? Probably be money ahead to just go through it where you already know the machine 
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Riwaka

Timberjack 240C in exile doing forest work in Croatia. (3 minutes)

Timberjack 240C! - YouTube

BargeMonkey

The stuff is out there, I've seen a couple 240C's sell QUICK. A decent 540G3 brings 70-90 half worn out. The irons not getting smaller, that 640L I move is bigger than my 460 dual arch but I will say that's a nice machine. Your not further ahead throwing work into your machine ? The last 240C ever sold thru loggers in Glens falls NY sits in a barn 20 miles from me, last I heard they wanted 90k 🤣 

ehp

Im already found a new crate motor for mine , I was just dreaming of air and heat

ehp

the only difference between a 240C and mine is the winch, the rest is the same

Skeans1

Quote from: ehp on August 31, 2019, 08:12:35 AM
Im already found a new crate motor for mine , I was just dreaming of air and heat
On our open cab D4 we added one of the external heater kits it still works after 20+ years.

Maine logger88

I closed in my 240A with lexan and put a red dot heater in the cab it's far from ideal but does help a little 
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

ehp

ya , its just in the winter time when the wind is 30 plus mph which is most days for me being so close to the lake and its not frozen over its not a lot of fun , your wet from the spray and it well below freezing

David-L

Quote from: Maine logger88 on August 31, 2019, 12:45:06 PM
I closed in my 240A with lexan and put a red dot heater in the cab it's far from ideal but does help a little
I did the same with my 240B Jack. A well spent 200$ for the material and a couple of hrs to fit.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

ehp

ya I think I might be fixing faster than I thought but we will see , clutch is not to great today but was pulling big stuff

Thank You Sponsors!