iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

skidder

Started by ehp, August 25, 2019, 10:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skeans1

Quote from: Riwaka on October 12, 2019, 08:15:15 AM
There are a number of smaller European made skidders, they still use the common brands of engines. (HSM, Welte, Camox, Ritter, Equus, Irum, Otmar Noe etc) HSM in Germany have the 805 cable skidder - 140hp, dual winch. It is around 4-5000 lbs? less weight than a Tigercat 602. They might have updated the engine as Europeans mostly have strict diesel emissions on the new equipment.
German wages are high etc, so not likely to be a low cost machine.
HSM 805
Tractor HSM 805 S - LOGISVEN - 41 [url=http://www.logisven.com]Logisven ? Coordinación Logística de Transporte y Alquiler de Grúas ? Coordinación Logística y Grúas - YouTube[/url]

Could ship back USA built JD tractors that have moderate hours on them from Europe. Put a Forest spec cab on,  and winch on the back, Forestry tires, rims etc.
End up with a lower emission spec machine, still pull a log or two and most spare parts/ service from the JD ag dealer.
Kotschenreuther
KOTSCHENREUTHER Produktion - YouTube
You can't do that in the states our emission standards are different then EU, even used equipment must be over 20 years old or older to bypass emissions but even that loop hole is being closed up by different states.

celliott

There's the Haas timber hawk too, I haven't heard much about that. Supposed to be modeled after a 240 timberjack. But JD engine, cvt trans, dual winches. Probably couldn't import one like Skeans said.

I know there's a former big operator near me (runs a log yard and quarry now) he's had a 608 buncher, couple 450C grapples and a decent looking stroke delimber for sale for a long time now. Just rusting away. Too much money for beat equipment, that stuff is too old now, anyone still in the game and the market for production equipment has updated.

I'll keep my old Clark running on weekends. Would like to eventually update to something slightly newer. I'm just talking better brakes, maybe not so much welding all over the machine. Maybe a cab but that's dreaming
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

ehp

I look at the bottom line quite hard and what it comes down to is yes I got a OLD 1997 TJ 230/240 skidder, they keep telling me is a 240C but I got a 230 cab. When I order parts thou its for a 240C just no JD winch . I know the person that ordered that machine and he hates JD so that's why the different winch. So I cut X number of trees per day with the old skidder , It owes me nothing and has paid for itself time and time again. So lets say I buy a newer skidder , Now it should pull more wood per day but its going to cost me more to pull that wood , price of the machine and fuel and stuff. My machine burns 10 to 15 gallons a day of fuel, skidder does not run hard all day as I do the cutting and bucking up myself to . So at the end did that newer skidder make me any more money at the end of the year once everything is paid and one think a lot of people do not think about is how much more acres of bush did I go thru with the newer skidder that year , If I cover 25% more acres to produce the same amount of profit cause my logging cost is higher Im not making myself any more money cause my area of real white wood is quite small , at most its 60 miles by 40 miles square  

ehp

this week the log trucks hauled 20,000 feet of logs but I got Im thinking 22 to 24,000 feet on the landing and the week starts on Monday so I still got rest of today and tomorrow to cut , my landing was pretty much bare on Monday morning . That's a real good week for me and I do better as the temps lower . I like the 40 to 50 degree temps . Im getting old and I know it

Riwaka

I still see youtube channels doing engine swaps. Could be historic video from 20 years ago, uploaded recently? I don't think it was fiilmed in Costa Rica.
Cat engine into the rice 'bank out'
Harvest Tractors are Out of the Barn | A Quick Tractor Video! - YouTube

Some of the US farmers before they bring back any more used UK tractors etc better check the rules. They have been buying and shipping the used UK JD tractors for less than they can purchase the equivalent machine in the US used tractor market for.  
The newer machines' engine tags should have a combined tag e.g meets Final Tier 4  and EU Stage V etc.  

This has some engine tags from 2016 etc. The Deutz engine example has made in Germany and there is wording meets US EPA and California etc

https://nrmm.london/sites/default/files/NRMM-Practical-Guide.pdf

Skeans1

@Riwaka 
I have a Final tier 4 machine from Deere there's a North American engine and then there's the Euro engine they are different emissions.

teakwood

Quote from: Riwaka on October 12, 2019, 08:15:15 AMHSM in Germany have the 805 cable skidder - 140hp, dual winch. It is around 4-5000 lbs? less weight than a Tigercat 602

the 805 weights 9.2to/ 20k lbs. they are good skidders from Switzerland, welte from germany. well built machines, but forget cheap in specialized european forestry equipment. the 805, dual remote winch, remote driving, krane, state of the art technology and engines is around 300-350k $, used they go for 160k with 8k hours, way too much IMO 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

ehp

I got finished the last bush today, moved skidder to the shop Im going to use and will start rebuilding next week. I got a pile of bush to walk and other stuff I got to get done , the center hinge section will take the most time to redo , Going to take some machining to make the new parts fit but that never is a problem for me

ehp

Barge, find me a 2014 548 with winch with under 2000 hours for $25,000 , I will take that lol

BargeMonkey

Quote from: ehp on October 17, 2019, 05:52:30 PM
Barge, find me a 2014 548 with winch with under 2000 hours for $25,000 , I will take that lol
You've got to add a 6th digit to that, in bald eagle money not maple leaf dollars 😂 The stuffs out there, I'm so cheap I wait and the good deals dont exist. 

barbender

Bald eagle money and maple leaf dollars😂
Too many irons in the fire

BargeMonkey

I had it out with a company up north over that original Timbco final I bought, credit card company wacked me pretty good for a "currency exchange fee" ? Then it was wrong, then wanted to give me back my refund at the current exchange rate. 

ehp

you should try going the other way and see how it feels , banks pretty much ask you do you want 3 fingers or 4 ;D

ehp

whatever the bank rate is to be add about 5% more cost to that and they wonder how the banks keep making record profits every year

ehp

I wish I could leaned cash at 22% to people legally just like credit cards companies do , I can borrow it for 6 or 7% and leaned it back out , now that's making money

BargeMonkey

Quote from: ehp on October 18, 2019, 07:26:38 PM
I wish I could leaned cash at 22% to people legally just like credit cards companies do , I can borrow it for 6 or 7% and leaned it back out , now that's making money
Everytime I have a new business plan that word "legally" just kills it 😂 NY is so regulated that a pay-day lending or a car title lending place wont fly, no diff than serious pawnshops, go down south and they are everywhere. The gov will lay and wait for you, money ruins everyone and you eventually get doing the shady stuff, next thing you know someone flips and we are all going to the booty bin. We went to get on the boat for crew change in Redhook Brooklyn one night and found this guy in a suit, hands and feet wrapped in duct tape floating next to us, something tells me he may have been behind on his payments 😂 

GRANITEstateMP

Quote from: BargeMonkey on October 18, 2019, 09:00:11 PMcar title lending place wont fly, no diff than serious pawnshops, go down south and they are everywhere.

I went down to Daytona to crew a car a few years ago.  When going out to dinner, we were stopped at a traffic light.  Next to us was a shop that RENTED / Sold / Leased wheels!  Not like "wheels" as in your whole car is your set of "wheels", nope, they had rim and tire packages they'd rent or lease!  That through me in a tailspin!  I was still beside myself as we came to the next traffic light, that one had a Krispy Kreme, no more thinking about wheels, time to buy breakfast, and 8:15pm!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

ehp

Ya, we are very strict up here , have to see on Monday with our election who is going to run this place , the 1 running it now is driving the bus straight into the deepest hole in the ground on earth, its real sad but he promises the ones that donot want to work that they will not have to and he gave them weed , its a sad place

barbender

Granite, I was surprised when I was shown the wheel rental places in Georgia, too! I thought about ponying up for a set of 24" spinners for the wife's minivan for the weekend...😂 I saw another example of it being all about the wheels one spring down in Kansas City, MO. We pulled up to a 4 way intersection and to the right of us was a dude and his lady in a jet black Corvette convertible. Gold trim, roll bar, and low profile spoked wheels. They were dressed in jet black clothes and gold, gold, gold! My wife and I were still wowing over that, when at the next intersection we saw about an 82 Chevy Suburban. Faded blue paint with some rust patches. But the clincher was, he had the same gold spiked lo pro wheels as the Vette, and judging by the driver's demeanor, he was just as hip as the other folks😂
Too many irons in the fire

ehp

So I got my skidder is 1000 pieces and I had thought I will just phone cummins and get a new engine , well that did not go as planned . Cummins had another engine shop call me and there were ZERO new complete engines anywhere which I found real weird but there was a rebuilt sitting in Florida . So I checked with a engine shop by me . 6 new engines in stock so ordered 1 from them and there swapping my mounts and stuff so its just a drop in. I asked him why cummins has no engines and he showed me why. I Gov't had just spent a full month at his engine shop checked to make sure every engine left there was up to code on how much pollution it produced and to make sure no engine had stuff like DEF deleted. 1 wrong thing and he was out of business. He told me Cummins will only work on machines that are in their shop because of this so they can prove the engine is put back in the way it was built . Guy also told me he could not order any motors from the USA now but he could still order new cummins from other countries that cummins has engine plants in

nativewolf

craziness...

Glad to hear you found your engine though.  
Liking Walnut

ehp

So I put in a new cummins 4BTA engine in last Nov. Not a rebuild , its brandnew , So any ways as soon as I fired it up it was burning motor oil pretty good but it started real good and it was below freezing outside . So I ended up pulling that motor out and taking up back to where it came from. They sure did not believe my thinking on what was wrong but soon found out I was 110% correct . I knew it had to be the valve seals and sure enough they were not pushed onto the valve guides but were sitting on the valves so they fixed that and it worked ok till a day ago and I went to about 50% power and then she quit but I was on the landing so a lot better than in the bush. Engine has brand new injection pump, lift pump injectors and turbo so talking to engine place and this motor is coming out AGAIN and going to their place, they got another new motor to replace mine with, just a real pain in the butt pulling motor out and putting back in .

BargeMonkey

Ed you could have prevented all this extra work by just driving down the road and getting a new 602 / 604 😂  The guy who bought my 405 finally got every ounce of life out of that 4BTA, it's got to have 15-16k hours on the original block and 1 new head ? 

ehp

yes you are correct I could of but not smart enough to do that ;D, motor is to of been built in Brazil at a cummins plant . I see 2 or 3 of those 602 are for sale again and I think you need to be a young lad to get in and out a 100 plus times a day , they are high and the door is brutal heavy and the steps to get in are not setup the best

Skeans1

Just an idea but has anyone put the electronic bell chokers on a skidder?

Thank You Sponsors!